Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

AMOHAU, Anania  

RSS
Martin Houlihan OWC
(@martin-houlihan-owc)

I am trying find out about the life, achievements and whakapapa of Corporal Anaina AMOHAU. Anaina is credited with writing the words for the now famous song entitled 'Maori Battalion'in about 1940.
I believe the maori version of the chorus is recorded in 'Rikihana's Book'.
This book is also new to me, where can I get a copy?

Is there any connection between Anaina and Mere Amohau 1898-1978, Ngati Pikiao; she was a singer, entertainer and composer.

Any help with all this will be much appreciated.

Martin Houlihan

Posted : 23 June, 2005 3:25 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe Martin Houlihan,

[url="http://www.folksong.org.nz/maori_battalion/index.html"]Here[/url] is a link to a page that talks about the history of the song Maori Battalion as well as a bit of korero about Corporal Anaina AMOHAU.

On that page also is the answer to your question about the connection between Anaina and Mere Amohau

Have a look also around the site in the above url and see if you can find info on Rikihana book, else email them and ask - I am sure they will help.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 11:48 am
te phantom
(@te-phantom)

Kia ora

In the Address part of your web browser, type:
http://www.google.co.nz

This is a very useful search engine.

Then type amohau

Many web pages will appear that have the word/name Amohau included. Find the ones that are appropriate to you.

Amongst these is the following that I thought was quite good ('cos it has a photo):
http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/Maori/WhatsOn/ShortTermExhibitions/MaoriShowbands/FlipThroughTime/1931to1940/WorldWarII.htm

By the way, if there is heaps of text, you can FIND or go directly to the word/name Amohau by doing the following:

<ctrl> F
Then type the word: Amohau

Hope that this helps.

Obviously, you can do a search on any word (or combinations of words).

Good luck

Phantom Maori

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2005 10:59 am
Atagirl OWC
(@atagirl-owc)

Hi, I am one of Anania's moko's. If there's anything that I could possibly help you with, I'll be happy to help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 October, 2005 11:50 pm
whakar OWC
(@whakar-owc)

anania amohau is the nephew of mere,ananias dad taiamai was the eldest child of henare te mete amohau,mere was the youngest child

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2006 5:39 pm
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

I am trying find out about the life, achievements and whakapapa of Corporal Anaina AMOHAU. Anaina is credited with writing the words for the now famous song entitled 'Maori Battalion'in about 1940.
I believe the maori version of the chorus is recorded in 'Rikihana's Book'.
This book is also new to me, where can I get a copy?

Is there any connection between Anaina and Mere Amohau 1898-1978, Ngati Pikiao; she was a singer, entertainer and composer.

Any help with all this will be much appreciated.

Martin Houlihan

Kia ora Martin,

Found this:

Mrs Mere Taiamai Amohau
One of Whakarewarewa's best known guides, Mrs Mere Taiamai Amohau, aged 69, died last May in Rotorua.

The mother of two sons and two daughters, Guide Mere guided visitors around Whakarewarewa for almost half a century, beginning this work at the age of 20.

http://teaohou.natlib.govt.nz/teaohou/issue/Mao48TeA/c31.html

Arohamai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2007 9:55 am
whakar OWC
(@whakar-owc)

kia ora martin,mere taiamai was my grandmother,she had 3 children anania,pipiana tamehana(my mum)and maramena rauhina,the mere amohau you refer to,was my grandmothers sister in law,my grandfather taiamai was the oldest child of this line,his father henare mete amohau was a prominent ngati whakaue chief of te arawa hope this helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 September, 2007 12:25 am
Share: