Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

ATEREA, Anyone, someone!!  

RSS
ozmaorimaiden OWC
(@ozmaorimaiden-owc)

I am very new to this and have no idea. Firstly I know two Maori words Pakeha and Whakapapa. I am very envious of those of you who know alot more than that. What has triggered my keeness to find my relatives is my very close friends recent return to Tairua to care for her father after having a heart operation, she is a Pakeha and grew up in my Homeland. Any information however general it may seem to you may be the bridge for me. So please if the name ATEREA is familiar please let me know. I have also found a connection to MOHI MOKI ATEREA which I have no idea what that means. HELP is definitely needed.

Posted : 26 August, 2006 1:53 am
blaqueperl2 OWC
(@blaqueperl2-owc)

Kia ora,

I couldn't help but ask are you sure the name is not Ataria originating from Ngäti Kahungunu or Rongomaiwahine. I have relations who are Ataria aswell,if this is correct I maybe able to help just reading that name Mohi Moki Aterea sort of triggered off my mind as I've seen that name only spelt Ataria.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 1:50 pm
ozmaorimaiden OWC
(@ozmaorimaiden-owc)

Kia Ora, (Is this a Moari Greeting?)

Thank you so much for your response however I do believe the spelling to be correct. I have since found out that my father Daniel Malcolm Aterea was born in Auckland in 1949, but that's where the information ends. I have no idea of his parents or whether he himself had any siblings. I have only met my father once many years ago and had married after seperating from my mother and had a lovely family of his own, 5 children. I had also lost contact as both his family moved and I also moved. I have recently come accross one of my Half Sisters whom is also looking for our family, but this was also on a forum and I'm yet to speak with her. I must say that this form of finding family seems to be very popular and it's wonderful to see so many people so willing to help others in their quest to find family. Some of the "Posts" and "Replies" are so comforting. In my research so far I have tracked the surname ATEREA back to the "Mawakeroa Tribe". Does this mean anything?
Again thank you for replying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 9:01 pm
blaqueperl2 OWC
(@blaqueperl2-owc)

Kia ora,

I was just double checking just incase. Hope you have all the luck in finding what you need.

Noho ora mai
Blaqueperl2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 August, 2006 11:52 am
oziegirl OWC
(@oziegirl-owc)

dear ozmaroimadien,

i know where your father is he is living and working in western australia if you need any more info please get back to me thankyou

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 January, 2007 7:20 pm
Share: