Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

AURTHER,Joe  

RSS
spirit OWC
(@spirit-owc)

Joe AURTHER is my Father, He was a harbourmaster (tugboat operator)in Whangarei or Dunedin. At this present time he is passed im not sure of the exact death date however the date i have is around the year 1991 he was burried in a cemetery by the name of (PITCHFORK CEMETERY) which is up the back of Dunedin somewhere, I am having trouble locating this cemetery for it has an unusual name. The name of my mum is Elizabeth or Eliza Heta from WHANGARURU, she once lived in WAIUKU where she may of met this man my DAD.I am now 35 years old and are seeking my family history ((((((((could anybody be of assistance to me as i have tried a lot of ways and are kinda gettin nowhere)))))))))) Im from Whangarei North Island New Zealand however i at this present time live in Melbourne Australia any help would be appreiciated sincerly SPIRIT:)

Posted : 25 June, 2005 2:26 am
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

Have you tried any of his Siblings? did he have brothers and sisters? Any Aunts or uncles? How much information do you have?
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 5:41 am
spirit OWC
(@spirit-owc)

quote:

Have you tried any of his Siblings? did he have brothers and sisters? Any Aunts or uncles? How much information do you have?
Jane

Thankyou for your quick response howeva i never new i had a real dad untill a month ago so this is all the information i have .......no family names,,,,.. no brothers and sisters names,,. However i feel that there is a brother younger than me out there and an older sister ((((((this is appart from the family i have grown up to believe are my real brothers and sisters))))))

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 1:45 pm
bonbon4eva OWC
(@bonbon4eva-owc)

Can't help, but wish you good luck !! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 3:17 pm
paid_2shop OWC
(@paid_2shop-owc)

The first place you need to start is with the whanau of your mother the Heta's from Whangaruru.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 3:44 pm
spirit OWC
(@spirit-owc)

quote:

Can't help, but wish you good luck !! 🙂

Thankyou for your response, for knowing that their is a life out there that i live for i feel i will prevail with all the help that is about even if it is what i do not wish to here at least it is a start....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 3:48 pm
spirit OWC
(@spirit-owc)

quote:

The first place you need to start is with the whanau of your mother the Heta's from Whangaruru.

Thankyou for your reply all is much appreciated,,, The Hetas from whangaruru only know what information is avaliabe as they are my whanau and only know so much..which of course is not quiet enough for me to go on..is it a good idea to keep pushing for information that will not come forth willingly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 4:01 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe spirit,

Although I have not been able to come up with some concrete information, here are a few ideas that may help you to find some more information

Firstly, do you know if your father is Maori? If he is, then go to the [url="http://www.familysearch.org"]Familysearch[/url] site and put AURTHER in the last name and set the country to New Zealand. There are a couple of whanau with that name, so that may give an idea of where your whanau (if it is Maori) is from.

Another option could be to track down the cemetery. Pitchfork cemetery maybe a nickname, so if you go [url="http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?page=cemetery_overview"]here[/url] maybe one of those listed could be the one - I do not know Dunedin at all so I would not have a clue which ones are in the back of Dunedin!

You could also try contacting the [url="http://www.genealogy.org.nz/branch/dunedin.html"]NZSG Dunedin Branch[/url] and asking them if they know another name for Pitchfork Cemetery.

If you find the cemetery then they will have some info on file that they may be able to give you.

Once you have done that, you could also look at getting a death certificate, which may have the parents named. If you do that, make sure you get a "photocopy" (digital image) as these are ideal for genealogical purposes, cheaper than an actual "Certificate" and can include additional information such as the informant and occasionally notes in the margin. [url="http://www.bdm.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Finding-Family-History-Records?OpenDocument"]Here[/url] is the url for Births Deaths Marriages and explains costs etc.

Do you have any idea how old he was when he died? If you do, another option is to go for a birth certificate (photocopy), which would give parents names and iwi.

If you know the iwi, then you can start accessing the Maori Land Court Records, which have a wealth of whakapapa information.

And of course, if you find any other info, post it here so members can see and maybe one day, you will find the answers!

Good luck, don't give up and kia kaha, be strong

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 1:30 pm
motuiti OWC
(@motuiti-owc)

kiaora spirit,
my 4 great grandfather is also from where your mother is from... i also have been researching and i had a quick look on this we site called the jesus christ of latter day saints the genelogy part and i put your mother last name in and i have found your mothers tipuna so i hope this helps and happy searching

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 March, 2006 9:14 am
mokauroots
(@mokauroots)

Kia ora, my name is Mike Leuluai. I live in Auckland but family (Hetaraka) lives in Mokau, Whangaruru. My great-grand-mother's name is Eliza (Raiha) Heta (daughter of Parata Heta - who was the son (or grandson) of Heta TeKauwhata - sorry, memory loss). Eliza married my great-grandfather Wiki Te Pirihi Hetaraka.

if your looking for anything HETA there is plenty and easy to find! For a start we originate from Whangaruru (although it is also said we originated from Pakaraka -Ngapuhi, near Kaikohe). It is a large fragmented family, nevertheless very proud of the name. Heta Te Kauwhata signed the Treaty of Waitangi on behalf of the Ngati Wai tribe (Key anscestor is Manaia. Ngatiwai boundries= Tapeka Point to Whangaparaoa to Great Barrier Island; also ancient inhabitants of Auckland areas). Most or many people/families in Whangaruru have Heta blood. The Heta cemetery is located in Punaruku (Whangaruru). Traits of the family include: talented at sport (especially rugby- eg. the great Maori All Black Pai Heta), very fiesty and agressive when needed (haha), musicians and singers and happy, although spread apart geographically and over generations of time, once together they are enviously united.
Okay thats just some info i thort you might find helpful.
Feel free to contact me anytime.

Na, Mike Leuluai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2008 1:58 pm
mokauroots
(@mokauroots)

Kia ora, my name is Mike Leuluai. I live in Auckland but family (Hetaraka) lives in Mokau, Whangaruru. My great-grand-mother's name is Eliza (Raiha) Heta (daughter of Parata Heta - who was the son (or grandson) of Heta TeKauwhata - sorry, memory loss). Eliza married my great-grandfather Wiki Te Pirihi Hetaraka.

if your looking for anything HETA there is plenty and easy to find! For a start we originate from Whangaruru (although it is also said we originated from Pakaraka -Ngapuhi, near Kaikohe). It is a large fragmented family, nevertheless very proud of the name. Heta Te Kauwhata signed the Treaty of Waitangi on behalf of the Ngati Wai tribe (Key anscestor is Manaia. Ngatiwai boundries= Tapeka Point to Whangaparaoa to Great Barrier Island; also ancient inhabitants of Auckland areas). Most or many people/families in Whangaruru have Heta blood. The Heta cemetery is located in Punaruku (Whangaruru). Traits of the family include: talented at sport (especially rugby- eg. the great Maori All Black Pai Heta), very fiesty and agressive when needed (haha), musicians and singers and happy, although spread apart geographically and over generations of time, once together they are enviously united.
Okay thats just some info i thort you might find helpful.
Feel free to contact me anytime.

Na, Mike Leuluai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2008 2:00 pm
Share: