Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

BAKER / KOPERU / WALTERS  

Page 1 / 2 Next
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Would appreciate any knowledge that could be shared about these whanau.

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:05:33 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 October, 2004 8:30 pm
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora koe Sandy

could you please give us a little bit more information
ie where these families are roughly from who are the names that you
know etc etc may be some one will know any of these people.

Thankyou na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 November, 2004 11:47 pm
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Kia ora artecwoman.
Thank you for your reply. These family names all originate from the Hokianga. Catherine Baker was my Great grandmother who married John Walters. Catherine's parents were Mere Maro Koperu and John Baker. I would very much like to get in touch with whanau I haven't met. Any help appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2004 1:23 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Sandy

If you go to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~funeralnotices/Maori.html and scroll down you will see an entry for a Koperu and you can contact the author of that site for more details which may help to fill in the gaps.

Good Luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 3:51 pm
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Kia ora Poutokomanawa
Thank you for your help. Have contacted the site so fingers crossed.
Sandy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2004 11:17 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano Sandy

Here is a bit more info I have found for you.

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/ and do a surname search for Koperu setting the country as New Zealand, you will find a listing for Mere Maro Koperu which gives her Husband as John Baker and also lists some of their children.

Note, the info (dates etc) may not be accurate, but it will give you a bit more info to add to your whanau forest!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 5:21 pm
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Kia ora Poutokomanawa
Thanks you for the further information. I am slowly finding more and more information and it is an incredible feeling.
Sandy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 December, 2004 1:23 pm
Te_wahine OWC
(@te_wahine-owc)

Kia ora Sandy, I am of Koperu descent, I dont know of your whanau, but if youd like to check out my whakapapa to see if you fit in there, youre more than welcome, te_wahine@hotmail.com
good luck on your search MMK

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 March, 2005 10:02 am
jitterbug OWC
(@jitterbug-owc)

Kia Ora

Any information on the Koperu whanau would be appreciated.

My grandparents were Hirini and Rewa Koperu of the Bay of Plenty area.

Would be happy to swap any information I have.
Kerry

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 April, 2005 11:35 am
Te_wahine OWC
(@te_wahine-owc)

Kia ora Kerry, Hirini was my Koro's brother 🙂
We are cousins!!! Wow this Kei te pai lets talk soon, Mihi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 April, 2005 6:29 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Regarding: MERE MARO KOPERU

Went to pay my respects to my late sister-in-law and a cousin at Puke Wheki Wahitapu/Cemetery at Taheke - Hokianga the other day and came across an old headstone. It read on it "MERE MARO ?". The last name was covered in moss cemented on the inscription. It was quite hard to decipher the dates on it also. Mere is interred right next to Wiremu Ruka, who appears to be the second husband of Mere Maro Koperu.
That is quite a historical urupa for the whanau of Ngati Pakau and Te Mahurehure.

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 2:35 am
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

My nanny married TED BAKER and had four children and their daughter Cathy Baker lives in Hokianga. Her brother lives in Waimana.
Any relation at all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 9:59 pm
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Kia ora Wyllie
Not sure if we are related but if your nanny and Ted baker came from the Hokianga it is likely. I have a couple of Edward Bakers sprinkled in the whakapapa but would need more info to check it properly. Do you know where the Baker name originated from?
Arohanui Sandy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2005 4:13 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

I have also traced my son's tupuna [ancestors] back to John Baker and Mere Maro Koperu via his maternal grandfather's mother.
It appears that the Mere Maro Peka I saw at the Pukewheki wahitapu / cemetery [as mentioned in my last posting] is the grand-daughter of John Baker and Mere Maro Koperu, so there was no second marriage to Wiremu Ruka. Wiremu's wife Mere is the nake-sake of her grandmother, also known as Mere Maro. My apologies for that.
And I believe John Baker originates from Ireland, not born at Rawene as I sighted on the Church of the Latter Day Saints website. John's wife was of Ngati Rauwawe hapu of Nga Puhi.
So my son is a gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 grandson of John Baker and Mere Maro Koperu, therefore has a touch of Irish in him.

God Bless to the Irish! ! !

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2005 12:03 am
Sandy OWC
(@sandy-owc)

Kia ora hohaia2. John Baker and Mere Maro Koperu were my gr8 gr8 grandparents. Their daughter Catherine Baker was my gr8 grandmother. Yes John Baker originated from Ireland born aprox c1800 and died 1869. He helped build the Catholic church now at Motuti where Bishop Pompallier's remains are held. John and Mere Maro had 7 children. 4 boys and 3 girls. Mere Maro was born at Taheke in 1807 and died 1874 and is buried at Waima.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2005 4:42 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register