Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

BENNETT / POKIHAWERE  

Page 1 / 2 Next
charlie_girl OWC
(@charlie_girl-owc)

hi,im trying to find information and photos(if poss),about Henry Riley Calvin Bennett and Matira Pokiha(i think thats how her name is spelt)they are my ggg/grandparents,they married 26th September 1853 in Tauranga,any info about them,her family,his family if poss and there childern would be appreciated

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 17 2005 2:58:10 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 March, 2005 2:40 pm
hikairo@wave.co.nz OWC
(@hikairowave-co-nz-owc)

Kia Ora Charlie Girl,
The whanau you are looking for all live in Tauranga. They are listed in the Bay of Plenty phone book under Bennett.hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 May, 2005 3:50 pm
charlie_girl OWC
(@charlie_girl-owc)

hey,thanks for the info,also thanks for the email too,sorry i didnt reply but silly me hit delete,so sorry and thanks again 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2005 12:08 am
Sooty OWC
(@sooty-owc)

Charlie Girl,

I have just found this site. I too am descendant of Henry BENNETT & Matira POKIHAWERE. Their daughter, Celia, was my great grandmother. I am following her line in Northland.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 September, 2005 3:36 pm
charlie_girl OWC
(@charlie_girl-owc)

hi sooty,Thanks for your email,their son Francis Kilgour is my great great grandfather,there are a few people trying to find info on Henry and Matira.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 October, 2005 7:58 pm
s_whalers OWC
(@s_whalers-owc)

kia ora ther are bennetts in wanganui/otaihape there marae in wanganui is in kai iwi there marae in otaihape is oruamatau in moawhango

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 May, 2006 11:13 am
jessanna OWC
(@jessanna-owc)

Henry Riley Calvin Bennett & Matira Pokiha has one living grand daughter her name is Nora Minus. She is the daughter of Charles & Gerty (nee Cheeseman) Bennett. Nora is my great aunt.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2006 2:19 pm
jessanna OWC
(@jessanna-owc)

I should say they have one living grand daughter from the Charles and Gerty line. I have a little information on a Francis Kilgour Bennett born 1854 is he the one your'e wanting info on?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2006 2:30 pm
alick
(@alick)

I too am related to Henry and Matira, I have some info so please get in touch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 June, 2006 9:40 am
jessanna OWC
(@jessanna-owc)

quote:

I too am related to Henry and Matira, I have some info so please get in touch.

Hi Alick. Here is a bit of my whakapapa. Henry and Matira Bennett are my gg grandparents, their second youngest son, Charles, is my g grandfather and Gerald (Charles' eldest son) is my grandfather. My father who died back in 1988 is Graham (Geralds second eldest son). My great aunt Nora supplied my brother with copies of THE HISTORY OF THE BENNETT FAMILY and HENRY RILEY CALVIN BENNETT EARLY PIONEER OF TAIRUA compiled by Stuart Ward. Both these books have great information that I just read over and over. Now I'm a nanny these books will hopefully, one day, be a great sorce of information to my grandchildren.
Regards Carla Nathan (nee Bennett)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 June, 2006 8:59 pm
charlie_girl OWC
(@charlie_girl-owc)

hi jessanna,thanks for you info,where can you find copies,would be interested in having a look,im not so much looking for info on francis bennett,but henry and matire and where the came from,henry i no from ohio usa,but thats as far as i can get with him and as for matire nothing,my grandmother gave us a copy of the family tree after she died,which has all henry and matire children and some grandchildren

Edited by - charlie_girl on Oct 25 2006 10:22:16 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2006 9:08 pm
Willow-Jean Downs OWC
(@willow-jean-downs-owc)

Kia ora,

Henry Riley Calvin Bennett was born in the American Township of Cincinnati, South West Ohio, 28 January 1819 and is the son of Moses Bennett and Julia Butler. He died in Tairua, New Zealand, 28 January 1891, aged 72 years and is buried in the old Tairua cemetery.

Matira Pokiha was born 1829/30 in Te Wairoa, Tauranga. Her mother was Te Wheoro and her father was the great Ngati Pikiao chief Te Pokiha Taranui. She had connections with Te Arawa, Ngati Pikiao, Ngati Rangi, and Nga Puhi tribes. Her father occupied the land around Lake Rotoiti and was head chief of Ngati Pikiao hapu of Te Arawa. (Matira had a fine moko on her bottom lip and chin). Matira and Henry were married on 26 Sept 1853 in Tauranga. She died on 15 January 1898, aged 68 years and is also buried in the old Tairua cemetery.

Some sources that may be helpful are:
They History of the Bennett Family Compiled by Stuart Ward 1993
Henry Riley Calvin Bennett - Early Pioneer of Tairua
New Zealand Biography - search for Taranui, Te Pokiha
Te Arawa by D. M. Stafford. (2002) Chapter 13 on Pikiao

My tane is a descendent of Henry and Matira's son Arthur Bennett who married Louisa Shannon. They had Calvin Bennett who married Mereana Katene. They had Beryl Bennett my tane's great-grandmother.

I hope this is helpful. If you happen to find any photos I would be interested in getting copies. The two books on the family have some photos (but my photocopies are not good quality).

Nga mihi
Willow-Jean

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2006 10:55 pm
charlie_girl OWC
(@charlie_girl-owc)

Hi Willow-Jean,thank you heaps,some of the info i all ready knew(like his birth place,his parents,when born and died,married,when matira died and where they are buried) but the new stuff is a big help,i to would like to see some photos,so once again thank you heaps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2006 7:49 pm
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Kiaora whanau i am also a descendant of Henry and Matira, went to a reunion in Thames in about 1995/95. My line is Lucy bennett (moore).

Kiaora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2006 2:18 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

The Manurewa Public Library has a hard cover copy of: 'The History of the Bennett Family.'
It's a black book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 September, 2006 7:18 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register