Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Bird Lynn : Adopted overseas 68  

RSS
lynnjbirds OWC
(@lynnjbirds-owc)

Dear All

I am an adoptee looking for information about closed overseas adoptions to the UK involving babies of Maori descent in 1968.

I suspect I was adopted under a false name so my racial identity could be classed as English, I have brown skin, green eyes and am of Asian appearance. I have always wondered where I'm from and found the english 'birth parents'on my paper work. Although the man admits he is not my father, the woman a nurse who worked at the hospital I was supposedly born claims to know nothing about the birth father's origin and didn't want to meet me. As a last resort for answers as to where in the world my birth father was from I have had two DNA tests. The first a highly forensic geographically broad test to show my main groups, indicated very low nth euro of 8% and predominantly Asian and Middle Eastern genes. The second a global match test, matched me most closely with mixed Western Polynesian, Maori and Portuguese populations and very low connection to the UK. I wrote to the 'birth mother'to try and get an explanation. She rubbished my tests and maintained that 'as far as she is aware'(her words) she is my birth mother and that I should try to get on with my life.

Well I am getting on with my life - thank you! I am seeking help from my local social services but I have no idea where to start looking in NZ. I may have no knowledge of my Whanau names but I have my DNA and my blood.

If anyone knows of any dna data bases to help people who don't have names to trace Whanau, please let me know.

Many thanks for reading this.
javascript:insertsmilie('')
Big Smile
Lynn B

Posted : 04 March, 2008 10:52 pm
mariapia OWC
(@mariapia-owc)

Hi Lynn

as myself you are on an exciting journey!
Have you made any other kinds of testing? Are you related in any way to your parents? It might be that the man who is not your father knows anything. Strange words of your "mother"!

My advice is to build a timeline - to write down important dates. I am making my own at the moment and I keep on discovering old data that I didnt understand.

I am currently exploring these same questions and you can email me directly if you want to!

Good luck!
donna

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 March, 2008 11:23 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

I would really encourage you both to look beyond the words and mysteries right now although the timelime is the same process I feel most comfortable with too. I cannot control what my people did at a particular time. However... what did happen is when I see some particular dates like 1st world war or 2nd world war, Korean War etc, I can imagine the situation my people were in or what they were like. For instance the 1931 Great Depression...?

Any way I digress, thank you for searching for your roots and you have found a 'family' of caring people that may not be your direct blood but they are with you for this walk.

If you trust in the wairua (spirit) like some who have a sixth sense... look to the theme for the 2007 Matariki (Maori New Year).

It is the year of 'the awakening'.

The year before was 'going home' (not necessarily in the physical sense but more in the spiritual).

So take heart you are being called, there is a stirring and a rumbling in those roots of your family tree and they want to confirm that no matter where you are or where you have been or who you are with or why you did this or that that you are grounded and stable and strong and standing tall. That in spite of all that the world has served you, you will be okay because you are not alone.

1968 in the UK mmm try the website of the maori in the UK. Ngati Ranana - what is ngati ranana. Ngati Ranana London Maori Club is a group which aims to provide New Zealanders residing in the United Kingdom and others interested in Maori culture an ...
www.ngatiranana.org.uk/default.htm

Rozita

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2008 1:34 am
lynnjbirds OWC
(@lynnjbirds-owc)

Dear Rozita

Many thanks for the support and message of solidarity. To find people so active in maintaining their roots is very inspiring. I certainly feel like I am awakening and getting closer to the truth, my roots. I will check out Ngati Ranana I found out they meet every week at NZ house and it would be a very good place to start and meet some people.

Most of all i would like to thank you for reminding me I'm not alone and to stand tall. I realise I have grown inches these last few days. Its the same face looking at me in the mirror but she just seems more familiar.

My very best wishes
Lynn

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2008 2:08 am
Share: