Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BOON, ?  

RSS
Gareth OWC
(@gareth-owc)

Hi, This may be a tough one. I recently discovered my grandfather had a great-grandparent of Maori descent but I can't find much info. All I know was that she was from Te Ati Awa in the Nelson/Marlborough area and she married a pakeha man with the surname Boon.
Is there any way to find out more about her (especially a name)? Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated, I'm new to this and have no idea what I'm doing.

Posted : 10 January, 2007 8:55 am
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Gareth,

Begin by doing a Google search of Boon - name/family, great-grandfather, grandfather.

This will bring up several sites to search. (Geneology, Ancestry, LDS - Mormon)
All enable extensive and comprehensive searches to be carried out.

Also, Check out Maori.org.nz own reference guide, hints and instructions for searching for Tupuna/whanau. These will help.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 9:19 am
Gareth OWC
(@gareth-owc)

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Granddad was pretty quiet about family so it was a bit of a mission to get the little bit of info I've got. Hopefully googling the name will come up with something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 9:25 am
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

It will!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 9:37 am
wmarsh OWC
(@wmarsh-owc)

quote:

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Granddad was pretty quiet about family so it was a bit of a mission to get the little bit of info I've got. Hopefully googling the name will come up with something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2007 12:37 pm
wmarsh OWC
(@wmarsh-owc)

quote:

Hi Gareth,

I have some info on James Boon who married Meriana Te Pohe, whose daughter was Maria or Martha and who married Martin Foote. I know this is your family. Contact me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2007 12:49 pm
Gareth OWC
(@gareth-owc)

Hi WMarsh,

Thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated. I looked into those names and found a marriage listed between a Maria Boon and Martin Foote in 1893. How do I know it's the correct people? What's the next step? Also, do you know any other info that might be useful or applicable?

Thanks again for your help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2007 6:49 pm
wmarsh OWC
(@wmarsh-owc)

Hi Gareth,

Meriana or Mary Ann Te Pohe had married twice. To James Boon, lost presumed drowned in Charlotte Sounds, and Phillip Russell Haines.

From James Boon, down to his children(Caroline, James, Mary Agnes, Sarah, William Ropoama, Susannah, Elizabeth, Maria or Martha, Rose, Anne) I can give you alot of genealogy you may find helpful.

I'm actually a friend of the McIvor/Foote family, and have been doing research on their behalf as they too discovered this maori ancestory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2007 6:16 am
Gareth OWC
(@gareth-owc)

Wow,

Isn't it amazing how we just happen to be connected : )

I'm only 24 and have only had a passing interest in this before but when I found out the Maori connection I was quite surprised so thought I'd look into it more,

I've been speaking to my grandmother (on the other side of the family, not the side connected to Boon) because she's very much into genealogy and using the info you've given she's managed to link everyone to my Granddad.

My grandmother is curious to know how you found out James Boon was lost/drowned and how you know he was married to Meriana and that Meriana also married Phillip Haines because she can't find that record anywhere. Where did you find that?

She also says that a Mary Agnes Boone married a Charles Neal and a Rose Boone married a Frederick Neal (in 1894). Do you know if those 2 Neals are brothers and are they connected in some way to a Malvina Emmeline Neal (who was my Granddads mum)?

Your help has been much appreciated. If you need to know anything we might be able to help your research with feel free to ask.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2007 1:51 pm
wmarsh OWC
(@wmarsh-owc)

Hi Gareth,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I pushed the wrong key and lost all the info I was going to pass on (start again). So...In brief, let me answer some of your queries. Of what I've been able to work out, Charles and Frederick were half brothers (if there is such a thing). Their mother Martha Ann Avis married two brothers, William James and Edward John Neal. William died, then Ann married Edward.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but of what I've been able to gather, Malvina was the forth of 5 children who married Harold Ernest Simpson. I also noticed that Rose's daughter Martha Elva Clarice Neal married Albert Simpson. Any relation?

I'm keen to find the parentage of Mereana Te Pohe as there is some discrepancy from other sources. But I'm sure once this is confirmed we'll be able to track the lineage back to the waka.

Here is my e-mail address if you would like me to forward on what I have. email: wmarsh@paradise.net.nz

Some of my info have some differences e.g Himes, Hines, or Haines? but at least it's something you can work with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2007 6:54 pm
Share: