Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BROSNAN: Finding any Brosnan's  

RSS
Poraka OWC
(@poraka-owc)

Tena Koutou

My mother was adopted in April 1951 by a Pakeha family. The information given to me by my grandmother (my mothers adopted mother) was that my mum was born on 14 November 1950 and her birth name was 'Joy Brosnan'

I cant remember where I got the following information, but there was something mentioned to me about her biological mother living in the Gisborne area and becoming pregnant by a Navy sailor?? - I'm not too sure how factual this is.

I know that this is not much information to go on but I was wondering if anyone would be able to at least tell me whether the 'Brosnan' whanau are Maori or not...

Many people make comment to my brothers and me about our 'Maori features'. It would mean so much to me to finally know whether I have any physical ties to a culture that my wairua seems to be a part of...I think its the piece of me thats missing and that would help answer all those questions of 'who am I?'

Kia ora for any help that anyone can give...

Posted : 14 November, 2004 8:52 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Have you got a copy of her birth certificate? Have you spoken with your mother about her situation. A quick search in the Gisborne phone book revealed zero, but there where 14 hits in Auckland. Try this link: http://www.infobel.com/teldir/default.asp?country=121
if you want too search the rest of NZ. Dont leave any stone unturned. You will have maori whanau who have a story to share. It will be with your biological grandmother who holds the key to her past. Keep searching and never give up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2004 1:27 am
Poraka OWC
(@poraka-owc)

Kia ora

I havent any other information to go on other than the above... my grandmother explained to me than when the adoption took place, all information about the birth family were with-held - the only thing known at that time was my mothers given name at birth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2004 11:39 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Poraka

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/ and search for the surname Brosnan setting the country to New Zealand there are quite a few of that name. Maybe if you wander through there you could find something.

I can not tell you if the Brosnan's have Maori or not as I personally do not know of that name, but Poraka, if your wairua seems to be a part of Maori then there has to be some somewhere. Wairua knows

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 5:09 pm
Poraka OWC
(@poraka-owc)

Kia ora Poutokomanawa

Ae, Wairua knows 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 December, 2004 12:04 pm
chok OWC
(@chok-owc)

kia ora
my name is keith grey from the thames area
the brosnans belong to the tookey family and are of ngati maru descent ,,i do have a little info on them somewhere in my cubbard so if your wanting to know a lil more about them ill try and dig the info upand i do have their whakapapa here somewhere as well ..... i live in perth australia at the moment but i do have a fone number.... 006193075126... if thats any help... my grandmother often talked about them(alf and george brosnan) ka kite ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2005 1:38 am
chok OWC
(@chok-owc)

kia ora
my name is keith grey from the thames area
the brosnans belong to the tookey family and are of ngati maru descent ,,i do have a little info on them somewhere in my cubbard so if your wanting to know a lil more about them ill try and dig the info upand i do have their whakapapa here somewhere as well ..... i live in perth australia at the moment but i do have a fone number.... 006193075126... if thats any help... my grandmother often talked about them(alf and george brosnan) ka kite ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2005 1:38 am
Poraka OWC
(@poraka-owc)

Kia ora chok,

I really appreciate your reply

Any information that you can provide would be awesome - I'll send you an email with my contact details also

Kia ora ano!
poraka

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2005 2:17 pm
Share: