Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BROUGHTON, James RURU, Te Otina, looking for whakapapa  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
lee OWC
(@lee-owc)

Kia ora, My name is Lee Grace and I am trying to find out my whakapapa. The trail ends at James Broughton and Te Otina. I have my Ruru side but can't find any thing at all on James. He was perhaps born in 1890, Heretaunga, Hawkes Bay. Is possibly of Ngai Te Whatuiapiti descent.Are rumoured also though to be of Nga Puhi descent. As far as I know they had seven children, Marjorie, James, Sophie, Georgina, Sonny, Dolly and my nan Pirihia Broughton who married Te Oke Whare Grace and had my dad Wi Grace. Any brothers or sisters names, anything will help! Please help me!

Posted : 09 February, 2006 6:46 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Kia Ora Lee
I was just talking to my husband about a James Broughton that my great granddad use to talk about all the time, he had a photo on the wall in the old house that used to stand back at Opape. (Nanny had the house pulled down and relocated another just two years ago!)
James Broughton that Koro Haami used to talk about was his brother who served and died in the army WW2.
The most we were told about where Koro came from was up north! meaning Nga Puhi I think Hokianga!
not sure cos Koro passed away in 1991 and was in his eighties. James he said was his little brother, Koro was a family man married to my great grand mother Ani teao Ranapia and so was not drafted to war!
Our whanau know very little of our Koro Haami's whakapapa only the fact that he had a little brother called James and that he served in the Army and that they came from Up north and that one went north and the other went south a common saying i have heard alot!
But yeah one has to wonder if we are connected
Let me know if you find something! I will however try to get in touch with my Nanny who still lives at Opape to see if she knows anything else about the Broughton whanau that Koro comes from!
I 'm pretty sure that she still has the photo of Koro James Will let you know
Kaye-Kaye

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2006 9:40 am
lee OWC
(@lee-owc)

Kia ora Kaye, Thanks for replying that would be awesome to see a photo.My dad is 57 and I think his papa, James died in 1962 in Gisborne, dad was about 9 he thinks and can remember what he looked like. I have found a James Matey Broughton from Whirinaki, but it's not the same one I am looking for. But if your nan has any info, please keep in touch, thanks.
Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2006 12:38 pm
lee OWC
(@lee-owc)

kia ora Kaye, did you mean that James died in the war? If so this must be the wrong James. But he did also have a son called James Broughton, we don't know too much about James and Te Otina Ruru's children either.
Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2006 12:44 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Kia Ora Lee!

Yep Nanny said what I said
She said all the broughtons are related and it is a huge whanau.
There are alot Broughton whanau in Patea.
Could you try there?
I know our tupuna moved around abit in those days
Also could you be related to the Ruru whanau in Taranaki also known as Whakaruru maybe this could be some connection to the Broughtons!
Kaye-Kaye

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2006 9:21 am
mokomoko32 OWC
(@mokomoko32-owc)

My Uncle Whitiria Fred Broughton used to visit that old man in the 1940's don't know any more than that. My grandmother said try and get in touch with the (actor) Rawiri Paretene in Whirinaki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2006 5:41 pm
patkoro OWC
(@patkoro-owc)

quote:

My Uncle Whitiria Fred Broughton used to visit that old man in the 1940's don't know any more than that. My grandmother said try and get in touch with the (actor) Rawiri Paretene in Whirinaki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2006 11:16 pm
patkoro OWC
(@patkoro-owc)

Kia ora Lee
This site will confirm James Broughton birth date and place as 1890 Heretaunga Hawkes Bay.Also married Te Otina Ruru about 1914.born 14 Sept 1894 atWaerengaahika,Turanganui.

http://www.familysearch.org/
type in james broughton and click on search
Hope this can help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2006 11:59 pm
Michelle Hawea OWC
(@michelle-hawea-owc)

Kia ora Lee
My name is Michelle and Te Otina Ruru was my great grand aunt. My great grandma is Paku Ritihia o te Maioha Ruru (older sister). Just wanted to let you know that if i find anything about your papa i will let you know
Hei kona

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 May, 2006 11:12 am
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Kia ora,
I have some whakapapa to this name. If you can get someone to identify " Te Upokoiri" then you will have the area.
Possibly Taranaki

Pi

Edited by - superbee on Jul 05 2006 8:00:15 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 July, 2006 6:58 pm
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Hello I have put in the name Paratene and Broughton in maori.org and it has come up with a posting you made.

My Great Grandmother is Roka Hone Hinga and her brother is Paratene Hone Hinga.

I have seen the name Paratene being searched in the forums but could not make a connection until a relative said today the name Paratene is in our family as a first name because in the past this was the way names were passed down by Maori from each generation.

The father of
Paratene Hone Hinga
was
Hone Tiwhi Paratene
who married
Akiniki Waata Mohi.

Akinihi's parents were

Waata Mohi
Roka Karaparapa

My Gt Grandmonther Roka Hone Hinga married Heteraka Henare and finally settled at Unahi Rd, Waimononi, where she passed away in 1959.

Paratene Hone Hinga married Maata Paneere and also lived at Unahi Rd with their family.

I have been told the family have ties at Ahipara, Oturu, Waimononi and Pakohou. If you can link us to your Paratene line that would be great. Awaiting you reply with anticiaption.

~ I am but a babe still drinking milk. Tell me when will I know to stand as a kauri? ~

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 July, 2006 1:17 am
KellyPaora OWC
(@kellypaora-owc)

Kia Ora, my name is Kelly from the Waikato rohe. My tane Adrian Broughton is from Patea Taranaki. His father the late Turi Broughton died 17 years ago, and he married Minnie Nuku of Manaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 July, 2006 12:43 am
rayhina OWC
(@rayhina-owc)

there are a lot of broughtons in Taranaki i know my uncle Rauru Broughton the son of the late ruka broughton is well versed in whakapapa . the whakaruru name is known in south taranaki Nga rauru and Ngati ruanui. Uncle rauru works sometimes at te wananga o raukawa in otaki he maybe able to assist as well.

good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2007 9:25 pm
huriepbo@hotmail.com OWC
(@huriepbohotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora.Hope this is of some help. I believe the Broughtons from the Taranaki and Hokianga regions are of the same families,and yes if you are able to get intouch with the actor Rawiri Paratene he could also be of help. I think he could be from the Motukaraka/Motukauri/Motuti area of the Hokianga,this is across the bay from Rawene. Broughton/Paratene could also be the same.???
Marlz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 April, 2007 11:14 pm
brotherley OWC
(@brotherley-owc)

Kia Ora te whanau, my name is Celia Broughton, my fathers name was Sonny Boy Broughton, he was born 11 december 1930 and passed away on July 12 1979. He moved from Tolaga Bay to Whatatutu where he met my mother Lena Te Roha Tamanui. His parents were James and Te otina and i am named after one of his sisters. My father never talked to us about who the Broughtons were or where they were from, but in the last two weeks i have been searching the net for this kind of information and i would like to know who my relations on the broughtons side is for my children. Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 January, 2008 1:58 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: