Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

HOUKAMAU,TAITUA, Tokomaru Bay  

RSS
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Kia ora. My papa was from Hicks Bay (Wharekahika). I know some of his whanau as in cousins etc, and also know our whakapapa back to Porourangi, Paikea and Maui - however I would like to know more about the wives of Te Houkamau and their children. Im confused as to who goes into what line. We descend from Tipiwai (child I think of Te Houkamau). Id like to know who his mother was, who his wives were and any other need to know info people might have.
On another note, papa was raised by his step father - Te Wharau Tipuna. This is the name we know him as, but have found out he was also, Whenua Tipuna, Wharau Whenua and Tipuna Whenua!!! I do know that he was of the Taitua and Hekiera lines and had twin sisters named, Riria and Ngarehu. We have land next to one of the marae in Tokomaru Bay.(its the one right at the end - you go pasta pub). IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO, NO MATTER HOW SMALL PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Posted : 03 August, 2006 12:30 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

any info out there?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2006 12:32 am
paddy OWC
(@paddy-owc)

Kia Ora Tamatea
Look up the Book Olive Brances , Te Araroa, Nga Konohi o Rongomaitapui Raua Ko Hinerupe or other books by Bob McConnell at you local library. Bob is a well known whakapapa historian of Te Araroa.
Another excellant book is Wharekahika by Laurie Lawson
Frances

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 August, 2006 9:42 pm
paddy OWC
(@paddy-owc)

Sorry
The Book "Olive Branches"
Frances

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 August, 2006 9:46 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Nga mihi o tera. Will do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 August, 2006 8:27 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Tamatea and Paddy,
I just wanted to add that the book written by Lloyd Lawson about Wharekahika History was a private publication and not many libraries will have it, but, Lloyd still lives in Hicks Bay and maybe able to help. Otherwise, all the famillies there know who is who, and many will know the whakapapa. My whanau still live over there, and whenever I go over there I meet a million papa's and nannies, forget several names, but they always have a story or two to tell.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2006 2:01 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

nga mihi mo tena

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2006 5:37 pm
queenkahu OWC
(@queenkahu-owc)

Kia ora,
My whanau is also Tipuna. Te Wharau Tipuna was born in Te Araroa about 1895 and died October 1960. His parents were Hekiera Tipuna (father) and Riria Taitua (whaea) also of Te Araroa. Hekiera was the brother of my papa Hare Pikoi Tipuna. Their father was Pineamine Tipuna aka Paraone and Miria Whakaiti aka Whaiti both of Te Araroa. The land at the end of Tokomaru is in Waima and yes that is Tipuna land. My papa Harepikoi and his wife Mere Pihi Pahau lived their and my mother and kookaa were all born their. It is our land through our whakapapa to Ruataupare and Te Ao Tawarirangi. Mauri ora e te whanaunga!

queenkahu

Edited by - queenkahu on Sep 21 2006 12:29:09 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 September, 2006 10:30 pm
queenkahu OWC
(@queenkahu-owc)

Kia ora anoo,
Here's some info on Riria Taitua one of the twins you mentioned. Riria's father was Hoera Taitua who married Apikara Houkamau. Apikara's father was Iharaira Houkamau and her mother was Huriata. Iharaira Houkamau was also married to Ripekapaia Tehau and they had Hatiwira aka Te Hati. He married Merearihi Tainakore Potae and they had Heeni Peepi and Hape Houkamau. There is also a Te Houkamau and a Te Hati from earlier generations and Iharaira was also known as Te Houkamau. Have a look at www.familysearch.org. Lots of whakapapa there. Mauriora!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2006 12:25 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Nga mihi tino nui mo ou korero!
Thanks heaps, you'v given me sooo much info. Im really rapped.
Tera pea kei tutaki taua a tetahi wa e te whananunga.
Naku noa,
Yolande Tipuna.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2006 10:19 pm
queenkahu OWC
(@queenkahu-owc)

Teena anoo taaua,
E ai kii teetahi koorero kaatahi ano ka rangona na Te Houkamau a Iharaira. Iharaira was the son of Te Houkamau.

Kaaore e kore a teetahi raa heke mai nei ka tuutaki taaua i a taaua Kei Tokomaru pea.
Naaku noa,
Kahurangi Tipuna Pahina

Edited by - queenkahu on Sep 22 2006 2:28:29 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 September, 2006 2:26 pm
Wiremu Teohomauri OWC
(@wiremu-teohomauri-owc)

I knew the person you are asking about as either Tipuna Whenua or Whenua Tipuna and not as Wharau Tipuna He was descended from Te Houkamau and his second wife Huriata whose daughter Apikara married Hoera Taitua. One of their daughters Riiria Weta married Hekiere Tipuna qnd they were the parents of Whenua Tipuna. He married his second cousin Rangihaere Houkamau who descended from Te Houkamau and his third wife Ripeka Paiatehau through their youngest son Tipiwai who married Kararaina Ngapera. They had a son called Huna who was Rangihaere Houkamau's father. Whenua Tipuna and Rangihaere had a son called Rawhiti Whenua who we all knew as Graff. I remembered Tipuna as being very sickly having medical problems due to gas inhalation during service overseas in the great war WW1. He died when I was 14 probably as an indirect result of this. I have emailed you with a link to a website I have been working on about the Houkamau whakapapa that I hope will be of help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 3:55 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

tena koe, mo ou korero. Ka hari te ngakau ki te kimi whakapapa mo aku matua tipuna. Can you please resend your email messgae to me koa. Kaore ano kia tae mai.
Thanks heaps.
Yolz.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 11:28 am
Wiremu Teohomauri OWC
(@wiremu-teohomauri-owc)

Deleted

Edited by - Wiremu Teohomauri on Dec 02 2007 06:46:09 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 August, 2007 2:04 pm
Wiremu Teohomauri OWC
(@wiremu-teohomauri-owc)

Kia ora Tamatea. No idea what happened to my email to you or my previous post in this forum, but here is a link to the whakapapa of Te Houkamau who was baptised as Iharaira. http://iharaira.wharekahika.co.nz/
Arohanui
Wiremu Pohe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 August, 2007 4:19 pm
Share: