Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Hudson and Ranapia Whanaus of Opape, Opotiki  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora,
I am a descendant of the Hudson Whanau. My koro was Henry or Henare Motutere Hudson. He had brothers and sisters carry on living in Opotiki such as George and Bill. Plus Koro still has a sister still living called Lizzie Kahika. His father was Joseph Rakena Hudson who had a brother called Mane James Hudson. Their father was John Hudson and their mother was Roka. We know practically nothing about ROKA. Unless I'm way off the mark, it seems she may have ealier had children to a Ranapia Mihaka. Could anyone please clarify or correct me with the connection between our whanau.

Posted : 28 January, 2007 12:19 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Kia ora Donna,the Hudson,Kelly's and the Shalfoon families are all connected to our Tipuna Roka.In the Opotiki Newspaper dated August 1,1967,there is an article on Roka.Her first husband was Matatui Mihaka she gave him 2 daughters,Hoki Pakiki and Kope.On his death she married John Hudson and had 4 children,Mani,Joe,Jack and a daughter who became Mrs Hubbard(does'nt give her name).
Roka Manutaharoa Leach is our Tipuna full name.
We still have our Aunty Alice,daughter of Koro George Hudson living in Opotiki and she has all the Hudson whakapapa.Kia Ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2007 2:52 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora Ano. Thankyou for the quick reply.You have clarified alot for us and I will get in touch with Aunty Alice. The new info for us is the Surname Leach. Kia Ora for that. Was Matatui also Ranapia? the daughter was Elizabeth who became Mrs Hubbard. Wouldnt it be lovely to have another reunion? I went to the Hudson reunion in 1989. Kia ora toku whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2007 4:27 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Kia ora ano Donna,yea the name Leach does'nt come up when you go to www.familysearch.org,just the name Manutaharoa(surname)as for Matatui Mihaka i think he is Mihaka Ranapia who married a Roka(can't find surname)in 1857,they had a daughter called Mary Ranapia born 1858,died 1902.If any one else can help out that would be great.Roka married John in 1872.Try that site out,it's pretty good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2007 6:02 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Kia ora Donna,Matatui Mihaka and Roka Leach are the parents of Mihaka Ranapia(going by our records)but so far i haven't been able to confirm this with anyone,other children are Kokiri and Pititi. Mary(Hoki) Ranapia is the only child registered under them,you've got me going now and i will find out more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 9:51 am
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Just looking through succession orders to do with Opape No 1A No 13. We chose to research this block to help us clarify whakapapa, particularly with names and the written evidence via the Maori land court Minutes. This block in particular seems to be mainly Hudson, Mihaka and Ranapia Koroua and Kuia. I notice this. Hiwa Roka(?), Hohi Roka(f), Kope Roka(f), Hohi RokaII or Hudson, Mane James Hudson all have the same shares like brothers and sisters would. These shares they have succeeded from a Mere Autahi. Hohi Roka is also Mary Ranapia. Yes the Kelly Whanau have succeeded to her but under her name of Hohi Roka. Joseph Hudson would of had the same shares but his children(My Koro,Uncle George etc) have succeeded to his. I'm now looking to see who Mere Autahi was to them. Also, there was a Kokiri Mihaka who seemed to be a brother to Ranapia Mihaka. I thought Ranapia Mihaka as the possible father to Hiwa,Hohi,Kope Roka etc. As later on they use Ranapia as their surname as well. He! He! Getting there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 12:42 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

No,Matatui Mihaka and Roka Leach are the parents of Mihaka Ranapia,Kokiri and Pititi,i got this info from Aunty Alice.I'm guessing that Roka Leach and Roka Manutaharoa are the same person?
Hohi proper name is Hoki,this is from A.Alice too.
Mihaka Ranapia is my g-grandad,he married Meri Hoepo,who my mum is named after.My granmother was Rupapa(daughter)she married Joseph Riley Grace from Tuparoa,Ruatoria.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 1:21 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Hi again,just come from A.Alice and yeap,our Tipuna Roka Manutaharoa Leach is one and the same.You guy's come from her second marriage.Kokiri Ranapia is a brother to my Koroua Mihaka Ranapia,who by rights is Ranapia Mihaka but oh well,they still our Tipuna no matter what name they go by,aye?By the way A.Alice said Patrick should have your fulla's whakapapa.Ranapia Mihaka's children were,Rupapa(my nanny)Uncle Joejoe(Makaati)Uncle Nigger(Joseph)and Aunty Rua(Dorothy)Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 4:23 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Thanks for that Audrey. You have helped clear up something thats been bugging us for awhile. I have been asking the Whanau for info, Mum knows hardly anything and Uncle pat is going to dig out his books.
Please give our love to Aunty Alice, tell her I'm Freda's eldest. It's a very interesting journey aye. Thanks again and hopefully a trip to Opotiki is not too far away. We went visiting a month ago and Mum showed me Koro H.H and Koro George's Whenua where the HOMESTEAD once was. Kia Ora Ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 7:01 pm
marywooderson
(@marywooderson)

My Dad,Henare Edwardson was the stepson of HH's brother Tua who married my Nanny Teo Piki Pirihi,I remember going with my Dad to Whakatane to visit HH(as he was known by whanau)near the Heads about 40 years ago.I remember Uncle Bill and Uncle George well,best of luck with the searching

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 September, 2007 2:43 am
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Has anyone heard of Hai Ranapia?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 September, 2007 6:35 pm
Rossiter OWC
(@rossiter-owc)

Im a hudson descendant, my great grandmother was mary whaitiri hudson, she was the eldest daughter of parepikake and rakena hudson,my koro Bill Rossiter (Bilsy Cat) has lived down the whakatane heads (Wairaka) for the last 55 years, Wonder if thats the same (uncle Bill) mumshill remembers?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 September, 2007 12:09 am
ang y OWC
(@ang-y-owc)

Can you tell me a bit more about the Kelly whanau mention here..?
I'm trying to track my nanas side of the family. My nanas great grandmother was Ngapo Uenuku born on Omarumutu, Bay of Plenty.
I'm a bit new at all of this but according to notes her iwi was Te Whakatohea and hapu Ngati Ruateakena. I'm now trying to trace the other side which was the Kelly/Ferguson..
Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2007 1:03 pm
marywooderson
(@marywooderson)

quote:

Im a hudson descendant, my great grandmother was mary whaitiri hudson, she was the eldest daughter of parepikake and rakena hudson,my koro Bill Rossiter (Bilsy Cat) has lived down the whakatane heads (Wairaka) for the last 55 years, Wonder if thats the same (uncle Bill) mumshill remembers?

No Uncle Bill Hudson lived in Opotiki,I think he was Uncle George's brother,they looked alot alike,I went to school with his son Eddie(actualy I was a couple years older.Uncle Bill was married to Auntie Lucy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2007 12:06 am
Straightjackets_Fits OWC
(@straightjackets_fits-owc)

Thats Ngati Rua Takena...:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2007 11:18 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: