Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

HUNIA, Tania: Tracing Tupuna  

RSS
Taniakm OWC
(@taniakm-owc)

Kia Ora
I wanted to know if anyone knows my great grandfather Tini Hunia from Herekino or his brother Tatana Hunia, or relatives. I do know that Tini had 5 children Ellen,Betty,Esther,Bill & Jack. I know we are Nga Puhi but I don't what sub-tribe or waka or marae. If you have any information I would appreciate it. Thanksfor you help. I live in Hawaii. Aloha

Posted : 27 November, 2007 8:05 pm
Jos Wikiriwhi-Thompson OWC
(@jos-wikiriwhi-thompson-owc)

Kia ora Tania,

The name Hunia is not specific to Taitokerau, it comes up around the Bay of Plenty area of Te Teko as well. However the Hunia Whanau I know of came from North Hokianga in particular Pawarenga a rural community where alot of the information about the whanau could possibly be found in the Church Records because Pawarenga like many areas in the Hokianga were at one time very strong Catholic communities. Hope it helps kia kaha, kia maia i tau mahi.

Edited by - Jos Wikiriwhi-Thompson on Nov 27 2007 9:45:12 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 November, 2007 9:42 pm
conton
(@conton)

Tena koe Tania
Yes you are correct we are here in Herekino. My great grandfather was Hare Tatana Hunia who became known as Hare Tatana. Tini born about 1884 died in 1945
Wife Ani McDonald 7 children
Ellen/ Wiremu/ Harriett/ Esther/ Betty/ Jimmy/ Jack.
Reply to me on email and we will talk more
Arohanui
Conton

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 10:30 pm
Taniakm OWC
(@taniakm-owc)

quote:

Tena koe Tania
Yes you are correct we are here in Herekino. My great grandfather was Hare Tatana Hunia who became known as Hare Tatana. Tini born about 1884 died in 1945
Wife Ani McDonald 7 children
Ellen/ Wiremu/ Harriett/ Esther/ Betty/ Jimmy/ Jack.
Reply to me on email and we will talk more
Arohanui
Conton

Thank you Conton, We are cousins!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 December, 2007 11:16 am
Taniakm OWC
(@taniakm-owc)

quote:

Kia ora Tania,

The name Hunia is not specific to Taitokerau, it comes up around the Bay of Plenty area of Te Teko as well. However the Hunia Whanau I know of came from North Hokianga in particular Pawarenga a rural community where alot of the information about the whanau could possibly be found in the Church Records because Pawarenga like many areas in the Hokianga were at one time very strong Catholic communities. Hope it helps kia kaha, kia maia i tau mahi.

Edited by - Jos Wikiriwhi-Thompson on Nov 27 2007 9:45:12 PM

Thank you, you are right my family is the Hunia up North Hokianga and pawarenga. Thanks for you help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 December, 2007 11:19 am
mathuen OWC
(@mathuen-owc)

tena koe e hoe, i was told the Hunia whanau from te teko, Kauwerau area came from the far north, Hokianga, they arrived at the bay when the dam at Galatea was being built, and stayed on when the dam was completed.I was also told that they originate from Pawareanga, Te Uri o Tai nga hapu, Makura nga Pa, Tamaho Tehuhu nga tipuna. hope this may help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 February, 2008 9:10 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

tena koe e hoe, i was told the Hunia whanau from te teko, Kauwerau area came from the far north, Hokianga, they arrived at the bay when the dam at Galatea was being built, and stayed on when the dam was completed.I was also told that they originate from Pawareanga, Te Uri o Tai nga hapu, Makura nga Pa, Tamaho Tehuhu nga tipuna. hope this may help.

No I don't think thats right. You'll probably find the Hunia's in Te Teko long before the Matahina Dam was even thought of. My understanding is they are uri of Tikitu, a noted Ngati Awa rangatira. If they have links to Hokianga, they will be merely supportive of their Ngati Awa descent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 February, 2008 7:30 am
Ants OWC
(@ants-owc)

Tania and Conton,

This thread has me looking up an old book of my mothers that she had spent some time on when she was alive (Harriet TATANA). Like conton my great grandfather too was Hare TATANA, brother of Tini HUNIA Wiremu HUNIA and Wata HUNIA. I have some more info in the book and would be happy to share if your interested. Email me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 3:56 pm
conton
(@conton)

Hi Ants
Would loveto hear from you. Have sent an email
Cheers
Conton

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 8:27 pm
Share: