Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

JURY Hoani (John) Whatahoro  

RSS
mj2006 OWC
(@mj2006-owc)

Hi there, im looking for anyone that has information or is related or from the same line as Hoani (John) Whatahoro Jury.

My great great great grandmother is Name: Mere JURY
Born: ABT 1865 at: Gladstone,W-Rap, New Zealand

Then Mere Jury had a daugher called Pheboe (Namana) Matiaha who had my grandmother - Josephine Te Oti Pura (nee Matiaha - Martin)

My name is Marise Karissa Josephine Martin Jackson, and im currently creating a family tree online. I have most of the jury side (not many photos), and my direct line, but as for whatahoro he had alot of kids lol.

So if anyone has any information or photos, or anything that ties in, them please by all means send me a message or post.

I know there are alot of people out there all related, and it would be awesome to get to know more whanau.

thanks heaps
Marise

Posted : 03 May, 2006 12:02 am
Tiaki_nohi OWC
(@tiaki_nohi-owc)

Kia ora Marise
I too am a descendant of te whatahoro. I have some photographs and information on his wives and children. If you want my help let me know

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2006 3:49 am
amaoricangirl OWC
(@amaoricangirl-owc)

Kia ora Whanaunga,

I am also descendant of Te Whatahoro. Aunty Pheobe (Kirikiri) and my grandfathers father, Uncle Bill (Matataro o te Rangi) were brother and sister, both born to Mere Jury and Keeti. I believe our tupuna were born to Mere Jury in her second marriage to Keeti, half brother of Ngahena whom Mere Jury was married too first.

I have a little info on our whanau, but not a lot as I am living in the US. My father does have a lot of that info, so if ever want to talk send me an email with any questions and ill refer them to him. Id also be interested in some of your info, as I dont think we have any photos or anything.

Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2007 11:39 am
mj2006 OWC
(@mj2006-owc)

Hi there,

gee Tiaki_nohi im so sorry i had negelcted to check back and i see your post was from early last year.

hi amaoricangirl thanks for your post its great to hear more information.

kinda put the family tree on hold over the last part of last year with moving and all, but ill be picking it all back up this year as my grandmother is not getting any younger and she is a wealth of knowledge to some of the info we need.

i have photos of my grandmother, her mother, and her mother and her mother lol if that makes since.

i have photos of john jury and a few others, i dont have many of the jury side, the photos i have got i just found alot of them online.

my mother has a lot of photos which i get from time to time.

i really wanted to create a family tree with photos of everyone, so we can put a face to the name kinda thing.

i have a family tree script, that i'm going to get up and running this year, which will give family from around the world to login and add their family and it should link up, and im hoping to have it completed in a year or so, so that atleast nan will get to see it

my email is ceo@webhostingmadeez.com feel free to drop me a line both of you, i would love to hear from you.

take care and chat soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2007 2:23 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

I believe Te Whatahoro translated the Book of Mormon (with his contemporary Te Matorohanga). If any of you are interested in learning your dialect, you should read that book in te reo Maori.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2007 4:41 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

http://maaori.com/wananga/index.htm <--- This is what your ancestor Te Whatahoro transcribed and hence the importance for you to learn your reo if you don't know it - there is a lot of valuable knowledge in it so if you don't know your reo don't let his work be something he did in vain.

Edited by - tane_ariki on Jan 19 2007 4:45:06 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2007 4:44 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Kia Ora Tane,

He paatai noa iho teenei, engari ko te Kauwae Runga teeraa tuhinga?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2007 11:01 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Ko te taitara, me te kupu whakataki, e whai ake nei.

quote:

TE WHARE WANANGA

The Teachings of a Tohunga
Nepia Pohuhu

As transcribed and recorded by Te Whatahoro Jury on 1 April 1863, and published in "Te Wananga", the journal of the Board of Maori Ethnological Research, Vol I No.2 December 1929, and Vol II No.1 March 1930.

I think it would be quite sad, if his mokopuna aren't members of the church that he so dearly loved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 January, 2007 11:11 am
Share: