Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Just Wondering  

RSS
tm OWC
(@tm-owc)

Kia Ora

Can someone tell me which Iwi do your children follow? I personally state my Fathers Iwi first even though we were not brought up there let alone been there.Then my Mothers Iwi where we were brought up. And I do acknowledge my Koro's Iwi which again, I have never been there either.But I feel that my Koro's Iwi is part of me too.

Posted : 02 April, 2007 5:00 pm
mahaki11 OWC
(@mahaki11-owc)

Kia ora e hoa,
for myself i try to instill in my tamariki mokopuna all iwi that make my whanau who we are. Going right back to my koroua who has ties to ngapuhi and tainui, and my kuia who is predominantly tuhoe. So i identify with all those iwi and strive for my whanau to do the same. Hope this helps with your patai and hope i havent added more confusion. Lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 8:09 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

ae kai te tika korua. its a bit different for each person and even some rohe have different rules regarding this.

i think on some level we all know which iwi we would like to put first..if that makes sense lol. we all have 1 iwi which we realte to and connect to more then the others

such as my whakapapa, i have whakapapa from ngati porou, te whanau a apanui & te aitanga a mahaki. i put ngati porou first because i feel that ngati porou is my main iwi. i was bought up by my kuia who was 100% ngati porou born & bred [with ties to te whanau a apanui hoki] & my koro is te aitanga a mahaki & tuhoe. because his taha tuhoe is unknown to him, i include this in my pepeha because even though he didnt know this taha, its still a part of him

well its different for me because im hawhe kahe lol..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 8:31 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora

Can someone tell me which Iwi do your children follow? I personally state my Fathers Iwi first even though we were not brought up there let alone been there.Then my Mothers Iwi where we were brought up. And I do acknowledge my Koro's Iwi which again, I have never been there either.But I feel that my Koro's Iwi is part of me too.

Maori identity was composed of various hapu connections. There wasn't really a monolithic iwi body unlesswe accept the idea that iwi derive from older hapu origins.When 'Government or Crown officials' collected records-census of Maori tribal-hapu affiliations often Maori would choose from a number of differnt hapu.So one register would have one hapu listed and years later another record taken, the same individual had identified him/her-self with another hapu name.Gradually certain hapu names where dropped and only major hapu affiliations were put forward.Such is the case today with 'Kai Tahu'-which is officially made up of 18 runaka which relate to six major Kai Tahu hapu. However, this doesn't include Waitaha/Kati mamoe and any extant Rapuwai hapu of old.
Although my "major hapu" affiliation is Kati Huirapa, most of my 'lines' go back to Tutekawa whose descendants inter-married with the Waitaha.People used to put "Gai Tutekawa" as their hapu, but I never see this any more which is rather sad.
However, through the tupuna, Tutekawa comes some of my older Ngati Porou connections and Kati Hawea-i-te-raki (Waitaha/Kati Mamoe).
So it is a matter of knowing all whakapapa lines, tahuhu, whakamoe, taotahi or whakapiri when needed.You may put one iwi or hapu forward, but when havinga korero with someone from another rohe etc, you want to put forward your 'whakapiri' connections to that iwi etc.

Edited by - Upokoruru on Apr 05 2007 10:38:46 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 11:18 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena koe ki ahau nei, kotahi na te turangawaewae mo te tangata, ahakoa he maha nga paanga ki iwi ke. Ko to turangawaewae to iwi matua, ko nga iwi e taha ake nei wo iwi e whai muri iho

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 11:43 pm
mathuen OWC
(@mathuen-owc)

My whanau have many iwi connections and acknowledge them all, i live and work for my grandmothers iwi, but equally am at home with all my others, but all ways acknowledge that my senior whakapapa comes from my male side. all the best.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 February, 2008 10:40 pm
Share: