Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KANARA: Help with my whakapapa  

RSS
thomask OWC
(@thomask-owc)

Hi all,

Perhaps members of this site can provide me with some assistance. Over the last year or so I've been curious to find out more about my ancestors and heritage, I've been brought up as a 'whitey' and really don't know alot, so please excuse my ignorance.

Through this site I've discovered I am from Ngati Temaara / Motuti

My fathers name is Bernard David William KANARA and I am named after my uncle Thomas Robert KANARA they have a sister names Sheryl.

My grandfather is buried in Motuti but I am unsure of his first name.

I'd appreciate anyone being able to provide any information or contacts to help me with my self discovery.

Posted : 01 February, 2008 12:28 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

First I would check the spelling on motuti. You sure its not motuiti? it would make considerable difference.

Secondly Ngati Temaara? That is a hapu I have never heard of before but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Do you have any more information like what general part of the coundtry it is in, North of the north island, central, east coast or west coast?

Good on you for taking the time out to look and I am sure you will be plesently surprised by what you can learn in here.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 1:59 pm
thomask OWC
(@thomask-owc)

Hi matahuru yes I'm sure of the spelling, it's up in the Hokianga harbour, and yeah I only used the reference Ngati Temaara which I found when I searched Motuti from this site 🙂

So I know I'm Nga Puhi and from Motuti... thats about it 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 2:28 pm
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Tena Koe Thomask,
My Kai Awhina is a Kanara from Pangaru and I'll ask her if I'ts alright to give you her Ph.No.
Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 February, 2008 6:38 pm
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Kia ora Matahuru, yes I am from Motuti and spelling is correct I hope that copycat has provided you with a phone number whanaunga, for all of us that whakapapa back to Hokianga are related.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2008 4:16 pm
T K OWC
(@t-k-owc)

Tena Koe Thomask,
Te Rarawa is your Hapu and Ngati Te Mara your Iwi
Your Grandfathers name is David William Kanara

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2008 6:15 pm
Share: