Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

KING / KINGI  

Page 1 / 2 Next
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

trying to fing some information for my son, His Great grandmother was Maori and was one of 3 maori triplets born in then early 1900's
Her name was Eden king (her whanau may have been kingi) We have no information on her, one of her sisters died aged 8 and the other (we think) went to england. We have been told their whanau MAY have come from the Taranaki Region. This however has not been confirmed.
I would greatly appreciate ANY information that might help us in our search.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 March, 2005 7:10 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora nzisis,

Here are a few suggestions that may help you in your search.

Do you know when she died? If you do, you could get a “photocopy” (digital image) as these are ideal for genealogical purposes, cheaper than an actual “Certificate” and can include additional information such as the informant and occasionally notes in the margin. You could also search the cemeteries records - there are links to the NZ ones in the links section here.

If you know when she died, you can also search in the MLC (Maori Land Court) records around that time to see if there were succession orders that went through.

The death photocopy will also have her parents names on it, so do another post with their names in the topic. It could also show iwi, which will give an indication as to which rohe (area) she is from.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2005 3:13 pm
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

thank you, she was born 23 may 1907 and died about 1986 in auckland, her parents were John urupo king/kingi and elizabeth sirrett, (spelling on this name unsure. eden and annie survied and nora died at about 9 yrs, they also had a younger sibling winnie, about 1 year younger. we think they may have gone to Belmont Primary in auckland, will try the avenues you mentioned and keep you posted
thanks again

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2005 3:23 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano nzisis,

If you go to http://www.whitepages.co.nz and do a search for the surname sirett (there are no results with sirrett so I tried removing letters) you will get 11 listings. You could try phoning them to see if any do the whakapapapa and if so, if they have Elizabeth Sirrett on the tree.

If you are in Auckland, you could go to Archives NZ (On the Mt Wellington Highway) as they hold school rolls and you may be able to find her in thre, as well as her siblings.

Also, what was her married name, as members here may know that whanau and be able to help through those avenues

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 11:15 am
material OWC
(@material-owc)

tena korua,
i am of Kingi King (Rotoatara) (Wairoa), i will need to look and ask my dad next week when he arrives home but the i was dropped from kingi in the Wairoa region, supposedly Rotoatara Kingi which i descend fron however my grandmother has a big whanau. i will try there for you maybe your names are on mine.
as it is late will try over the next couple of days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 January, 2006 1:14 am
material OWC
(@material-owc)

po marie
hey, still looking into things, as in those days names were shortened, reversed or maybe whangai names. more research is needed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 January, 2006 9:19 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

the maori land court has a website now which makes searching even easier www.maorilandonline.govt.nz
Good luck!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 7:40 pm
sandrap OWC
(@sandrap-owc)

I live in Scotland. My grandmother's name was Nora Kingi and she came to Scotland with my grandfather (who was Scottish and had emigrated to New Zealand some years earlier) and their two children (including my father) just before WW2. Her parents were John Kingi and Elizabeth Sirett. However, I note that you believe Nora had died - could it have been the other sister instead? Also, I have a date of birth of 22/5/05 although this may not be accurate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2006 1:16 am
material OWC
(@material-owc)

hey sandrap
i think they may not be in the club anymore, try emailimg them ans see if it comes back

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2006 10:33 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Kia Ora material...we must be whanaunga hehehe

Kingi Rotoaatara married Rawinia (Kaka) Christie & it was their kids that took on either the King or Kingi name (their fathers first name), my great grandfathers generation. My grandfather is one that kept the King name but some of his brothers changed back to Kingi..hence my whaanau in Mangakino. So yeah...thats the korero with our King/Kingi whaanau.

As for the name Eden King, it doesnt ring any bells with our King/Kingi whaanau, but who knows at the moment I can't recall every name of the whakapapa.

Ah well, he paku awhina noa iho tenei.
ma te wa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 March, 2006 9:47 pm
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

I am still a member, but have been working on some other things that have come to light. They all came to a dead end. Tahnk you to all, I am still seeking information on my original plight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 May, 2006 8:40 pm
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

please sandrap e-mail me at cindychap@xtra.co.nz
I really think you are who I am looking for? and yes we may have the names mixed up.

Do you know anything about her history??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 May, 2006 8:47 pm
sandrap OWC
(@sandrap-owc)

Kia ora Nzisis. I have sent you an email which I hope helps and will be in touch again if/when I get more info. Taranaki connection almost definite and my father was born in Auckland. Would appear we are whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 7:58 am
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

Kia Ora.
got your e-mail thank you. and a big thank you to everyone for your efforts. Looks like I have found my son's lost Whanau. WOOHOO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 5:01 pm
nzisis OWC
(@nzisis-owc)

a thank you to material also, hope you were able to find something out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 5:03 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register