Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KINGI Rotoatara  

RSS
material OWC
(@material-owc)

Resided in Ngati Kahungunu Iwi. married Kaka Christy/Christie.
we are unsure of his whakapapa/hapu/iwi. we know more about his wife's whanau which goes back to Rongomaiwahine.
Anyone who came across his name i would like to get ahold of.

the Kingi name is quite wide over Aotearoa, maybe you know something.

Posted : 12 February, 2006 9:08 am
honek OWC
(@honek-owc)

There may be a link between Te Aitanga a Mahaki no Waihirere kei Turanga nui a kiwa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 February, 2006 10:33 pm
shirlznz OWC
(@shirlznz-owc)

Hi there,
My Grandfather was the late Tihema Dawson Kingi, My Grandmother was the late Kataraina Kaimoana, Did you know either of them... If so I just want to know how closely related are we to the Edwards family in Gisborne... Have met someone by the name of John Edwards age 41. They have family with the Kingi name It would be much appreciated if you could help please Thankyou for your time... Shirley...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2006 6:06 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

tena koe Shirley
yes we are related
Tihema Dawson Kingi is a brother to my Grandmother Wiramina Kingi Rotoatara.
Their Father being Kingi Rotoatara married Kaka Christie/Christy.
We extend back to the well known pair Kahungunu raua ko Rongomaiwahine through our gr grandmother Kaka Christie.

i have extensive whakapapa of extending back to Rongomaiwhaine if you wish to know more holla

Keren

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2006 7:13 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

ata marie Shirley
just in regard to the Edwards in Gisborne, my Grandmother married Wi Pere Edwards his father is Pani Edwards who married Te Mana Moanaroa Pere (Wi Pere Trust Gisborne www.wipere.co.nz) unfortunately we have no whakapapa further back from Pani. My grandfather along with all his brothers and sisters were born in Gisborne. so there might be a connection there somewhere. Uncanning to say that my father is John Parker Edwards too age 65. However he was named after a relative John Pakka Edwards. so i'm thinking maybe there is a connection. As all our name sakes of the John name are not of that age group so i know it's not them.
From Pani forward i pretty much know the whakapapa, having attend alot of reunion in the last 5/6 years of my grandfather. we have meet the last surviving aunties of him from Gisborne also most of there whanau as well.
I'm also looking for his (Pani) whakapapa and it's posted so i hope John Maybe able to shed some light.
a te wa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2006 6:13 am
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Kia Ora material, he paatai noa iho teenei, but have you ever thought of asking some of your whaanau in Wairoa about Kingi Rotoaatara or his parents..Riria Horehore & Karaitiana Rotoaatara? Someone that apparently does know his whakapapa as we have been told is Paora Whaanga. Apparently Karaitiana is descended from one of Rakaipaaka's sons, I think offhand it was Whakapirikura.
Heoi, Karaitianas parents were Kino & Maraetaha (f) & he had 3 sisters, Erina, Mihi & Haromi. Kino is descended from Tuwhakataka & Ngarue according to Maori Land Court.

As for the Pani Edwards whakapapa, I attended a wananga at Rongopai for the Wi Pere whaanau & I think a little korero came out about Panis background.
Heoi, kia korero ano taua.
Ma te wa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 March, 2006 10:05 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

tena koe mistee
yes we have been there and it would probably be a matter of whanau being in the right place at the right time in order to make those connections.
i receive on behalf of my dad the wi pere booklets and stuff, how did you get to go to the wananga.

keren

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 March, 2006 9:11 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

umm Im an Edwards too, my great grandfather is Wi's brother Pita.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2006 8:43 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

hey sounds like i missed something, i suppose i better read the panui properly, must of missed it.
well info taken in, where would i get a hold of Paora, Whaanga being a well spread name i've asked the ones i know and the conections has been made.

hey thanks for the korero, much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2006 11:48 pm
Share: