Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KONIA and ROPIHA whanau  

Slings22 OWC
(@slings22-owc)

Kia ora my name is Richard Slingsby,
Im trying to find some of my whanaunga so I can learn about my whakapapa, hapu and where my marae is.
My Grandfathers name is Hare Hare Konia born 14 Sept 1934 in Te Araroa, Gisborne and passed away in the early '90's. My great grandparents are Henare Konia born 8 Jan 1913, Horoera, Gisborne and Pare Ropiha born 5 Sept 1909,Te Muriwai, Gisborne. I believe the Konia whanau is from Ngati Porou and the Ropiha whanau is from Ngati Kahungunu.
I want to find out as much as I can so I can go back to my marae, any information that you can help me with would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2005 10:57 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe Slings22,

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Konia in the surname and set the courty to New Zealand you will get quite a few results. Likewise by putting Ropiha in the surname box.

By going through these records, you may be able to glean more informatation about your whanau, siblings, parents and children. However, be aware that not all of the records at this site are accurate, but it is a good starting place.

Also, if you find a completely different spelling for a surname of a parent, try doing a search for that name also. One of the main mistakes in this site if often spelling.

Good luck

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 02:11:02 AM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2005 2:10 am
Bubba Coffey OWC
(@bubba-coffey-owc)

Kia Ora Slings22
I live here in Australia and my friends name is reginald Ropiha, he married Barbara Whiu, together they have 6 children. Reg is from up north paoranga (not to sure on the spelling) Hope this might help you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 July, 2005 9:08 am
kaylenekani@iprimus.com.au OWC
(@kaylenekaniiprimus-com-au-owc)

There are a branch of the Ropiha family that are from Porangahau a small settlement east of the town of Waipukarau in central Hawkes Bay. Your links could be in that area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 July, 2005 6:23 pm
beanie OWC
(@beanie-owc)

There Are also Konia's in Waipawa,a small wonderful town,seven km's north of Waipukurau.Not sure if it's the same Konia's,but might help.There numbers are listed in the phone book.GOOD LUCK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2006 11:26 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia ora my name is Richard Slingsby,
Im trying to find some of my whanaunga so I can learn about my whakapapa, hapu and where my marae is.
My Grandfathers name is Hare Hare Konia born 14 Sept 1934 in Te Araroa, Gisborne and passed away in the early '90's. My great grandparents are Henare Konia born 8 Jan 1913, Horoera, Gisborne and Pare Ropiha born 5 Sept 1909,Te Muriwai, Gisborne. I believe the Konia whanau is from Ngati Porou and the Ropiha whanau is from Ngati Kahungunu.
I want to find out as much as I can so I can go back to my marae, any information that you can help me with would be much appreciated.

Are you still looking for this information? I can offer some help on the Ropiha side which is Whanau a Apanaui, not Ngati Kahungunu. Harehare and Ratua lived at Pahaoa near Te Kaha. Ratua was from Manutuke out of Gisborne and was a Jones. She was one of the last with the old style moko kauae around our way. Their children that I know of were:

1. Hineteariki = Taraoa Te Whata
2. Pare = Mahuika Konia
3. Te Okeroa = Ihi Reihana
4. Toti (died, no issue)
5. Mere = Mark Taare
6. Reweti = Hiki Parapara
7. Te Raturoa = Wiki Paratene
8. Peter

I can't confirm the order they came in.

Peter left home and never returned. I think he lives in Southland somewhere. Harehare served in the Boer War which was a distinction for Maori as Maori were not wanted in that war - even then there was a colour bar operating.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2007 4:41 pm
trisha hemopo OWC
(@trisha-hemopo-owc)

hay mi name is juvenah ropiha and i am tha daughter of reginald ropiha im aswell looking for more information on tha ropihas in new zealand im juss like everyone else want to get to no mi whanau if ne one has any info get bak to me plz i would love to meet mi extended whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2007 7:30 pm
Wiremu Teohomauri OWC
(@wiremu-teohomauri-owc)

Kia ora Richard. I'm not sure if you still require data on the Konia family as it was quite a while since you posted your message on whakapapa.org but I have some descendants of Rupuha Konia who lived in Te Araroa on the East Coast. I have the data in 4 scanned pages that I have uploaded to my fileserver and the url address is http://rupuha.wharekahika.co.nz/ Just copy and paste the link to the address bar of your Internet browser to access
Kia Ora
Wiremu Teohomauri Pohe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2007 6:35 pm
Brian Ropiha
(@brian-ropiha)

Kia Ora Whanua

I'm Brian Ropiha, son of Pita Ropiha (Peter) on my fathers birth certificate, his registered first name is Te Rauru Ropiha, born 9th December 1925 Parents were (Father)Hare Hare Ropiha, Te Kaha - Marae Pahoa - (Mother) Ratua Wirihana (Wilson not Jones as mention earlier) from Gisbourne area and her Marae was Muriwai

There is another lot of Ropiha's that come from the Hawkes Bay area (Richard and the late Paul Ropiha (brothers) you can get Richard on face book as he knows a bit about the Hawkes Bay Ropiha's) and as far as i know it's hard to trace the connection, however what i have found out we were all called Te Ropiha prior to the turn of the century, and there after it was easier to drop the Te and just use Ropiha.

I do have other information and some photo's of Pahoa and the Family Cemetery where this a lot of Ropiha's buried. A couple of mass graves as my fathers siblings fell ill to the flue epidemic of the 1918's 20's

Happy to share what i have, and you can email me at chubbsnz@me.com

Regards

Brian Ropiha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 September, 2018 3:20 am

Working

Please Login or Register