Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KOROHINA, Hemi and RAHUTA, Hiria: Help with my whakapapa  

RSS
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora, I am looking for a historian or whanau member from the Ngati Porou who can help me with whakapapa. I am a moko of Nanny Sue Poutu nee Dewes from the East Coast. The two tipuna I have named in this search were my Nanny's Greatgrandparents. I have come to a bit of a stand still if anyone has any other helpful tips I would really love to hear them...Information I have that might be helpful for the time being:

They were possibly from the Waiapu County,

Maraea KOROHINA was a daughter, born about 1869

Ngati Porou, early 1800's

Kia ora ano
        Jax.

peaceful regard
        Jacqui

Posted : 14 July, 2005 1:01 am
        Katerina OWC
        (@katerina-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora, I am looking for a historian or whanau member from the Ngati Porou who can help me with whakapapa. I am a moko of Nanny Sue Poutu nee Dewes from the East Coast. The two tipuna I have named in this search were my Nanny's Greatgrandparents. I have come to a bit of a stand still if anyone has any other helpful tips I would really love to hear them...Information I have that might be helpful for the time being:

Kia ora ano
              Jax.

Kia ora Jax,
              I think we have the same connection but I descend from Hiria's sister - Paenati. I have a bit of Whakapapa which goes further up but just to check if we have the same are Maraea's brother's Hori Korohina and Henare Korohina? I think this is the same connection? I only have Hiria's father who was Paratene Noanoa which goes up about three generations. Shall we catch up on email? Look forward to hearing from you.

ReplyQuote
              Posted : 22 December, 2005 1:59 pm
              Katerina OWC
              (@katerina-owc)

quote:

Kia ora ano
                    Jax.

Kia ora Jax,
                    I think we have the same connection but I descend from Hiria's sister - Paenati. I have a bit of Whakapapa which goes further up but just to check if we have the same are Maraea's brother's Hori Korohina and Henare Korohina? I think this is the same connection? I only have Hiria's father who was Paratene Noanoa which goes up about three generations. Shall we catch up on email? Look forward to hearing from you.

ReplyQuote
                    Posted : 22 December, 2005 1:59 pm
                    poutuedwards
                    (@poutuedwards)
                    Eminent Member

Kia ora Katerina
                    Im not sure of the line? All the info I have says:
                    Hemi Korohina married Hiria Rahuta, they had;
                    Maraea Korohina married George Dewes, they had;
                    George Dewes married Hiria Te Puni, they had
                    Maraea Dewes my Nan. Other than that, your the only one to korero to me online about these Nannies. Thanks for that.

peaceful regard
                    Jacqui

ReplyQuote
                    Posted : 25 December, 2005 1:23 pm
                    apaznuiz OWC
                    (@apaznuiz-owc)

If you still are looking for info on this, you might like to try, Mere Phillips, Rotorua, she is in the phone book, Her father was the last of the Korohina men Mohi, or Koro Dewes, they come from Horoera up Te Araroa. Mere and Koro are first cousins

ReplyQuote
                    Posted : 28 June, 2006 5:49 pm
                    poutuedwards
                    (@poutuedwards)
                    Eminent Member

True that apaznuiz. I will give it a shot.
                    Kia ora koe!

peaceful regard
                    Jacqui

ReplyQuote
                    Posted : 29 June, 2006 12:46 am
                    Te Paetahi OWC
                    (@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Don't know if you're still looking for your whakapapa but the Korohina Whakapapa Book is one of the great Ngati Porou resources. You could talk to Koro Dewes about accessing it. Another is the Harris Whakapapa Book which is held by the Maori Land Court in Gisborne. Both contain whakapapa for most of the whanau of Ngati Porou.
                          Kia ora ano
                          Jax.

ReplyQuote
                          Posted : 26 January, 2007 5:13 pm
                          poutuedwards
                          (@poutuedwards)
                          Eminent Member

Oh Im terribly sorry Te Paetahi for not replying to this post. Thank you for your korero. I will take a look. I discovered that my fathers sisters (even though fairly young 50's-40's which was why I never thought about it before) hold a 'plethora' of family history and probably already have the information I seek. But, I realised, if I dont ask, they would never know what I was after, or say anything at all.
                          But thanks I will try the resource books as well.
                          Tena koe

Edited by - edwards.jacqueline on Jun 20 2007 04:40:15 AM

peaceful regard
                          Jacqui

ReplyQuote
                          Posted : 20 June, 2007 4:38 am
                          Chris Wana
                          (@chris-wana)

Tena korua, I am a mokopuna of George Valentine Dewes and Hiria Te Puni, they had a son George William Parekura Dewes who was my Great Grandfather. Nice to meet whanau xo

ReplyQuote
                          Posted : 02 May, 2018 4:43 am
                          Share: