Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

LEEF whanau  

Page 1 / 3 Next
Poro OWC
(@poro-owc)

I am looking for the family shield (coat of arms)
My grandfather is from the Hokianga area, and told me that Leef's orginate from england, i've checked out a few websites but i was wondering in i was looking at the right shield. Really interested in find it so if any one can help me. Thanks PORO

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 11:43:58 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2005 8:18 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe Poro,

I do not know anything about shields but I think that they are tied to whakapapa. One way that you would be able to confirm if you are looking at the right one, would be to find how many there are for the Leef whanau, then find, through the whakapapa on the Leef lines, which one your whanau ties into.

Good Luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2005 2:27 am
elijahs_mum OWC
(@elijahs_mum-owc)

Kia Ora Poro,
My Whanau are also Leef/Leaf. I have a copy of the coat of arms if you email me -leighton_selina@hotmail.com
Kia Ora,
Selina

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 March, 2005 1:18 am
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

There are Leef's in Manaia,Coromandel. I'm closely related to.
My sister in law is a Leef from Northland. She spent her early years in Wanganui and later Rotorua.Any connection at all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 April, 2005 5:30 pm
Mack61 OWC
(@mack61-owc)

Tena koe Poro

There is a Leef family crest in a cemertry in Whirinaki, Northland. You would be able to find connections there also.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2005 12:31 am
bunty howearth OWC
(@bunty-howearth-owc)

Kia ora Poro
The Leaf Crest is of a dove resting on a sprig of olive.
John Henry Leaf did emigrate from England and married Rangahau from Hokianga
There are many many connections left in Whirinaki and all around the Hokianga
Good Luck
Bunty Howearth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 June, 2005 2:50 pm
brownleef OWC
(@brownleef-owc)

Kia Ora Poro,
I see the whanau have been very helpful. I am a Leef from the Coromandel side. My Grandfather Ned Leef married Riana Brown and settled in Coromandel. He was the anglican minister there for many years and is resting in Manaia. I have completed some research which you may be interested in. As Bunty Howearth says, we did all come from John Henry Leaf and Rangahau. I have the story written by Joan Leef for our reunion in 1990. I have also just completed a small book on Ned Leef and his 'Great Adventure' with Te Hokowhitu a Tu, the Maori Pioneer Battalion in WW1. I don't intend to publish it as I researched and wrote the story for my sons. I am happy to help you with any questions that you might have if I can. Please email me at brownleef@paradise.net.nz

Monique

Edited by - brownleef on Jul 28 2005 10:01:06 PM

Edited by - brownleef on Jul 28 2005 10:02:21 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2005 1:30 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

Monique please contact me I'm related to Uncle Ned catu@westnet.com.au

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 July, 2005 1:19 am
brownleef OWC
(@brownleef-owc)

Kia Ora Te Aroha,
I have emailed you. I found my book! I have started to answer your questions on Riana Kereopa. I'll try and get more info to you soon.

Monique Brown (nee Leef)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 9:57 pm
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Kia ora Poro and also Monique
I married a Leef from the Te Puna/Tauranga whanau. On my monther's side I am related to the Leef's here in Manaia where I live. Ned Leef was my husbands grand-father's nephew. At the reunion back in 1990 a reunion book was sold.

Monique - I know John and Winiata very well. May I ask who your parents are?

My email is Donna.Leef@xtra.co.nz if you would like info on the Tauranga whanau.

Donna Leef

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 September, 2005 9:03 pm
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

This family Leef.
My grandmothers original name is Reretahunga Parata..her married name was Tamanui.She had many sisters (9 i think) but they were all seperated at an early age.We were able to meet a few of them in later years..unfortunately after my nana passed away.
If memory serves me correctly..one of the sisters married a Leef.
The sisters we met were Hoki..Kataraina..Jane..
Heck it must be old age creeping in cos i cant remember the other 2 we met..lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 September, 2005 10:06 am
paansfamily@bigpond.com OWC
(@paansfamilybigpond-com-owc)

Tena koe Poro & all the Leaf/Leef/Leefe whanau who have responded to you.
I have a copy of the Leaf crest & it is correct as described by Bunty. Above the dove is the Leaf motto: Folium Non Defluet, meaning basically "The Leaf will never die". There is also a Leaf coat of arms. This has the dove holding in its dexter claw a staff-tree leaf vert. The dove is atop an armoured head piece & shield that depicts 3 more staff-tree leaves & 3 bees (look like bumble bees). The Leaf motto is at the base of the shield.
I thought I could attach a pic of it to this message but it isn't possible. I'll try to email you & attach it that way.
Arohanui whanau

Edited by - paansfamily@bigpond.com on Sep 24 2005 6:13:13 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 September, 2005 6:05 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

view at this link: http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/leef-family-crest.htm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 September, 2005 9:48 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Eruera Simon Cassidy,born 04 Sept 1901 at Waima,Father Arama Adam Cassidy, Mother Ruiha Leef.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 September, 2005 4:03 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

view John Henry Leaf at:

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~atsl/440.htm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2005 11:40 pm
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register