Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MANE, Rawe  

RSS
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Hi, My name is Lisa I'm new to this site and am very interested in trying to find any info on my grandmothers whanau. All I know is that Rawe Mane was her name and she was from Nga Puhi. She married my grandfather Kawana Karaka from Te Puke BOP. Any info will be much appreciated.

Posted : 10 July, 2005 7:04 am
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Teena koe Lisa.Nau mai,haere mai.the Mane also known as the Wheoki whanau can be located in these areas in the North.Utakura,Rahiri settlement,or Kaikohe.Keep up the search.
Blessings!
Na,Wi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 July, 2005 9:58 pm
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Kia koe Wi, the info you have given is a great start, I will start here. My grandmother was a very private person and didn't speak of her whanau around us kids, or for that matter her own children. She however spoke to my dad about her whanau and made him promise that he would not tell anyone, and right up until my dad passed away last month he kept her promise. Only giving us that she came down in a great migration from north with her sister who settled in Whangamata and my grandmother carried on. My dad also told us we were to look towards Opononi, Omanaia upwards, and this was all he left us. So I have taken it upon myself to research my "other whanau". I remember whenever we asked her about her whanau, she would grab a stick and whack us outside then laugh, so we knew don't ask her again in one day. She was a very strong woman and whenever my koro was sick, she would carry him on her back to the toilet, and whatever else needed tending she had that last say. All of us knew even my aunties and uncles knew that when my kuia banged whatever she had in her hand on the table or the floor that was it we all had to listen - none of us dear not defy her. Anyway Wi I will keep you updated with any other info i find. Kia Ora Koe mo to Awhi.
Na, Lisa.

Waiho i te toipoto, kaua i te toiroa!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 July, 2005 1:34 am
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Teena koe,Lisa mo to waahi whakatauki.I have to agree with you that our old people from the last decade were a secretive lot.Try researching under name of this kaumatua Nika Anihana,from the Hokianga.Keep following up with name also Mane Wheoki.
Na,Wi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 July, 2005 1:00 am
Paraire OWC
(@paraire-owc)

Did you make any progress? I am a Mane and my great grandfather was Nika Anihana and I do have an old photograph from a magazine when he got married at the age of 92(!!) to a 78 year old woman Her name was Wheoki he had about 17 children and my grandmother was one of them? Perhaps we are related?? Can you give any further details that you have found?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2005 8:36 pm
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Tena koe Paraire,

Thanks for the info you have provided, I have been out of maori.org for a couple of months due to tangi's within my whanau. The info I have provided was the only info left to us, (which is a real shame). So once I get back into things I will carry on with my search. If you have the name of that magazine with the photograph or where I could obtain a copy this would be very much appreciated. In the meantime if I find any thing else out from my aunties and uncles or any names they could give (in great hope that they got some names off my grandmother) I would definitely share them with you.
Na Lisa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 September, 2005 2:02 am
Share: