Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MANUKAU, Elia: trying to find whanau to my grandfather  

RSS
dee74t OWC
(@dee74t-owc)

kia ora there,im trying to find my whanau that is related to my grandfather elia manukau which married my grandmother newa kite which she comes from waikato rangariri.i do not know of my grandfathers side much if he had brothers or sisters either if they come from the north.any help would be apreciated.he resided in ngaruawahia and had 5 children paki,edna,toi,johnnie-boye,george deceased.

Edited by - dee74t on Aug 24 2005 12:37:45 PM

Posted : 22 August, 2005 1:29 pm
Geraldine OWC
(@geraldine-owc)

Kia ora Delia

I know of Manukau's residing in Helenville, they are ngati whatua, Marae Haranui.

H.Reweti

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 August, 2005 7:40 pm
romi
 romi
(@romi)

quote:

kia ora there,im trying to find my whanau that is related to my grandfather elia manukau which married my grandmother newa kite which she comes from waikato rangariri.i do not know of my grandfathers side much if he had brothers or sisters either if they come from the north.any help would be apreciated.he resided in ngaruawahia and had 5 children paki,edna,toi,johnnie-boye,george deceased.

Edited by - dee74t on Aug 24 2005 12:37:45 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 September, 2005 7:53 pm
romi
 romi
(@romi)

Tena koe.
Eli Manukau was of Ngati Mahuta through his tupuna Keho and Kuku. The patriarch of the Manukau whanau was Taumata Ngawhare who lived in the mid to late 1800s. The whanau kind of dispersed when Waikato fled into Nehenehenui (Maniapoto).
On their return to their tribal grounds many years later, a number opted to live at Te Pahu, Paterangi and Whatawhata, while the remainder lived in the various papakainga along the length of the Waikato awa. Some of their historical tribal areas were Tarahanga island (north of Rangiriri, and a little north also of the stream to lake Whangape), Huntly and Taupiri.
A little more explanations and some whakapapa of Eli and his brothers are in my possession at this time.
Kia ora
Romi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 September, 2005 8:07 pm
romi
 romi
(@romi)

Tena koe Delia
I apologise for not responding much quicker to your request to make contact- have only just come back on board, as Waikato are preparing for the 40th anniversary of Te Ataairangikaahu and I am involved, albeit in a small way to making things happen for 2006.
Insofar as your tupuna Eli is concerned, I saw Toi some time back when I was in Ngaruawahia but had no chance to converse. Eli had several brothers but it would be prudent if I were to forward his whakapapa direct via e-m, coupled with explanatory notes as most names and places might get confusing considering the length of your domicile o/seas.
Expect it in about 2 weeks.
Kia ora
Romi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 October, 2005 9:59 pm
dee74t OWC
(@dee74t-owc)

kia ora romi thank you for your reply,i look forward to speaking to you about information pertaining to my grandfather.Yes i did hear from back home that uncle toi wanted to get in contact with me as i do not have his number.
kia ora delia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 11:35 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Kia Ora dee74t

I dont know if this helps much but I knew of some who lived in Te Awamutu when i was a little child growing up, they had much to do with our whanau as they all worked together in the woolshed. They lived on corner Teasdale and Princess Street, Their son Wayne Manukau died of a tragic accident involving a railway crossing by the Dairy factory (heading towards our place)and after that i think they moved away to Ngaruawahia. I only remember Lyn Manukau as she was a good friend of Mums.
Kia ora Kaye-kaye

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2005 8:33 am
dee74t OWC
(@dee74t-owc)

kia ora kayekaye,thanks for your reply,my mum still lives in Te Awamutu today.I will ask my mum about that as they worked in the woolsheds in those days too,and they got to travel abit.
kia ora dee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 November, 2005 7:24 am
Share: