Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

Maori POWs Germany 1944  

interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Searching for information about Maori POWs who were held at Blechammer, a satellite work camp of BIRKENAU, GERMANY
These men worked on Herman Goerings Oil refinery.
In the winter of 1944 the prisoners were marched out of their camp through Czechoslovakia to Moosburgs Stalag VII near Munich
There is a photograph/article April/May 2005 issue of MANA MAGAZINE which shows 10 maori prisioners dressed in improvised maori costumes. They apparently performed a concert for their own amusement.
Another x-POW (their mate)from england is searching for any survivors

Edited by - markonijoy on Aug 05 2005 01:13:35 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 May, 2005 7:23 pm
Wiremu Teohomauri OWC
(@wiremu-teohomauri-owc)

One of my whanau Petera Kaa was a POW in Stalag 7a during WW2. HE talks briefly of it at the following link http://www.whanauokaa.com/profiles/peterahoukamau.html I hope yhis helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2007 7:32 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Much thanks Wiremu..will search for that Mana magazine edition and send this link onwards
From memory I think the guy mentions some of the names of the various Maori men he knew ..and Im sure one of them was known as Pedro ( or something similar) as it struck me as unusual for a Kiwi name Kia ora Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2007 8:05 pm

Working

Please Login or Register