Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MARTIN, Matena, Matete, or Matenga  

RSS
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

Kia ora whanau, I need sum howlp! I'm trying to find my dads real mum. My dads name was Alby Martin and he was born in 1939 in Wellington. His dad, (my grandfather) was a chinaman by the name of Fong Chung. Yeah I know, what a mix. Anyway, my dad was born, and his father went to Auckland and left him with his mum. She also had another daughter who was a coupla years younger than my dad. Dad's mum was killed/died when he was about 7 years old, and his father came back, adopted my father and adopted the sister out to another whanau, (we think she lived in Whakatane, and her first name was Phyllis). My dad was then brought up with his father and stepmother in Auckland. My father retained his mums last name, we are not sure if it was her maiden or married name. Because it was a legal adoption, the law says I cannot access those records as they have been closed.
From what little information my dad told me before he died, his mothers first name may have been Margaret or Makere. He remembered living in Napier with his mum and sister around the time of the big quakes. His mother was either pushed or fell from a moving vehicle during a domestic dispute which caused her death. I'm hoping this may stir some old memory banks around the motu, and someone might know of a tipuna that fits this description. Fingers crossed! Anyway, naaku noa whanau, I look forward to your replies.

Posted : 05 August, 2005 7:29 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Tina,
I dont know anything about your Martins directly but I do know there is a branch of Martins at Pahou, Whakatane who have relatives in Wellington and some of the children from that whanau were still being whangied to other family members around 50 to 40 years ago
Another place you could try listing details is the NEW-ZEALAND-L@Rootsweb.com send them an e-mail with just the word "subscribe" as a heading (its free) once they respond to that you can post your listing with them.
It has many experienced genealogists who are very good at helping people. Make sure you provide the right details Names, dates, areas and reason why you seek info. I think your challenge would appeal to them. Another avenue is tracing through the Chinese connection but I do feel NZ Rootsweb group will have the the resources and knowledge to advise you on how to access that type of information. Good luck with it and contact me direct if you need any help with listing on Rootsweb

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 August, 2005 3:35 pm
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

Cheers markinjoy, i'm going to check that out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 August, 2005 10:33 pm
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

aww sorry, markonijoy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 August, 2005 6:52 pm
bex2022 OWC
(@bex2022-owc)

Kia Ora Tina, I am married to a Martin, his whanau originate from up north tho... he doesn't know a lot about his whanau but they have a few other names they used... te matini is one and wi tikena is another. They come from Mangakahia, south of kaikohe and inland from whangarei. If you find a link to them my husband's grandfather's name was walter martin or walter te matini (sometimes spelt te Martini) get in touch with us...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 6:34 pm
Relization OWC
(@relization-owc)

Kia Ora I am a Martin because my dad is however Ive been needing to talk with him about his side of the family.And he was born in Hastings.We do have a cemetary near Rotorua dump where there was a family reunion held a few years ago shame I wasnt told.My dad did start on a whakapapa so I will talk with him and let you know what I find out.
Natasha.Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 December, 2005 11:30 am
m.matenga OWC
(@m-matenga-owc)

Kiaora I am a Matenga from Waingaro springs, Ngaruawahia. I was born in Lower Hutt Wellington and then shifted to Huntly. Our great grandfathers sister married a chinese last name Kwon, not to sure wether this helps
Ka kite ano whanau

M.Matenga

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2007 1:54 pm
Share: