Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Matakaoa Block - Te Hatiwira HOUKAMAU Whakapapa  

RSS
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora whanau,

For those of you researching whanau in the Waiapu, Ngati Porou District, this could be interesting reading. A bit of whakapapa as well. It’s a bit long but if any of these persons are your tupuna then I am sure it will be enjoyable reading!

This piece of info was taken from Matakaoa Land Block Court Sitting.

The Court Proceedings:
After the list of claims for the Court session had been read, Major Ropata Wahawaha[11] requested an adjournment for one day as ‘the claimants to several blocks of land set down for investigation, had not yet arrived’ (Gisborne M.B. 2:123). As no objection was made, the Court assented and adjourned. The next day Major Ropata requested that several of the cases gazetted for this Court be adjourned to a future sitting; the application was granted (ibid). The first case called was Matakaoa, a block of 3,049 acres. Te Hatiwira Houkamau,[12] the eldest son of Iharaira Te Houkamau, stood to represent his people, and after being sworn[13] in he began:

I live at Matakaoa, the name of my tribe is - Whanau a TuWhakairiora, sub tribe of Ngatiporou, I know the land shewn on the map before the Court. The survey was ordered by my father Iharaira Houkamau, the boundaries were pointed out by Wi Pahuru, there was no dispute, I have a claim to this land and come from thence to prefer it - I was sent by the owners. We claim through right of conquest. The cause of quarrel which caused the fight ending in our obtaining possession of the land claimed, was one of our people was thrown over a cliff and killed - None of the original owners remain, they are exterminated. It is nine generations ago since we obtained the land - We are now in possession.

I put in a list of owners together with myself - The names of the Ancestors from whom we inherit the land are:

Hukarere, and ) Brother
Makahuri ) (Brother)

The owners are:

firstly descendants of Hukarere:
Hatiwira Houkamau
Petera Houkamau
Wingara Houkamau
Iritana Houkamau
Henare Potae
Mohi Kahua
Renata Pouwaka
Watene Tawa
Mereraiha Hinetukua
Ripeka Paia
Irimana Houturangi
Hamaima Ketehinau
Watene Parakau
Hona Hautonga
Huriata
Te Keepa Matoeohanga
Matiu Rumaki
Te Kooti Te Kaka
Herewaka
Katene Ngatoko
Wi Pahuru
Riria Puahau
Heni Pawhatai
Te Wikiriwhi Matauru
Te muera Te Muru
Manahi Parapara
Hiria Te Oriki
Hera Rumaki
Te Rana Waitaiki
Heni Torori
Ripeka Hinewekuweku
Potene Tuhiwai
Heni Kahiwa

These are only a few names listed whanau. There are more listed but you will have to click on the site below and scroll down the page to view the rest.

http://io.knowledge-basket.co.nz/taonga/contents/theses/text/Chapter4.html#4sdfootnote14sym

Location of Matakaoa Block (not certain if it’s the one mentioned in the court sitting)
Once you have clicked on this site below, then to your left of the map there are stars, click on those and they will zoom in or zoom out depending on which way you go, up or down. CONFUSED, I hope not!

http://www.maoriland.govt.nz/scripts/runbin.exe?TPK.327968:INDEX:54961.3177:.CKB

Enjoy whanau.
Maa te waa whanau.

Edited by - Ira on Feb 04 2007 9:20:05 PM

Posted : 02 February, 2007 12:32 pm
w.r.l.s.teo@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@w-r-l-s-teoxtra-co-nz-owc)

Tena koe Ira. My name is Warner Te Oriki, I am new to this site and after browsing through it, I see you have your finger on the pulse of the 'maori nation' it would seem. I have just posted on the site, I was wondering if you could help me as I am not fully conversant with search tools for whakapapa etc. Kia Ora Warner

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 February, 2007 11:17 am
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Tena koe Ira. My name is Warner Te Oriki, I am new to this site and after browsing through it, I see you have your finger on the pulse of the 'maori nation' it would seem. I have just posted on the site, I was wondering if you could help me as I am not fully conversant with search tools for whakapapa etc. Kia Ora Warner

Kia ora Warner,

Welcome to our site. Do hope you find what you are looking for and how may I help you find it?

Arohamai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2007 12:46 pm
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

quote:

Kia ora Warner,

Welcome to our site. Do hope you find what you are looking for and how may I help you find it?

Arohamai.

Kia ora ano Warner,

Found your other posting and have left you some info on it. Hope it helps?

Arohamai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2007 1:40 pm
Share: