Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

MATEHAERE  

Uriana OWC
(@uriana-owc)

my great grand fathers name was TeWetini Matehaere and great grandmother was Waikauri (nee Wharemate)and would very much like to learn where they grew up lived etc....anyone in here related to them and me?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 6:23 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe Uriana

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Matehaere in the surname and set the country to New Zealand you will find records there for Matehaere, If you go through the records you may be able find something to start at.

Also there is a large listing if you put the surname Wharemate in, where most of the names are associated with Tautoro, which is just out of Kaikohe, Far North.

Note though that not all information in the familysearch site is accurate, but it is a place to start

Good luck Uriana, I hope from these searches it gives you a starting point to go from.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 April, 2005 11:23 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena Koe Uriana,

To add to what peralau has suggested, make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club then click Full Search. If you do one search for Matehaere and another search for Wharemate, you will get results, including people in the Email Directory who you could contact.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 April, 2005 1:20 am
Uriana OWC
(@uriana-owc)

i am delighted with your responses thank you both so much.i shall try to come back and let yopu all know how i got on....arohanui uriana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 April, 2005 2:06 pm
lindsay henry OWC
(@lindsay-henry-owc)

KIAORA URIANA,MY MUM IS A WHAREMATE AND SHE IS STILL LIVING SHE IS 96 YEARS OLD HER SISTER WAS WAIKOURI AND THEY LIVED IN PIHAMA IN TARANAKI HOPE I CAN HELP.OH BY THE WAY MY COUSINS ARE CAMPBELLS THEIR PARENTS WERE JOE AND RANGO IM LINDSAY HENRY EMAIL LINDSAYHENRY@HOTMAIL.COM KIAORA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2005 12:14 am
motitian OWC
(@motitian-owc)

hiya.. my aunt married a matehaere.. her name is maringi and she lives in tauranga.. her telephone number is listed in the phone book and i'm sure she'll be more than happy to help you find out more about your whanau.. GOODLUCK! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 June, 2005 2:24 am
maitahi_steve OWC
(@maitahi_steve-owc)

Kia ora uriana.
My mum was born a Te Mete but was whangai to Kau Matehaere of Te Kuiti.

I to am looking for information pertaining to mums whakapapa.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 June, 2005 1:52 pm
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@maoriboy7xtra-co-nz-owc)

Kia ora Uriana, my grandfather was a Matehaere from Pukehina/Motiti. if you would like to email us, we could have a korero about possible whanau connections.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 July, 2005 9:03 pm
Te ouri OWC
(@te-ouri-owc)

Kia ora cuz, my name is Kerrin Weston, my koro was born Tika Wetini Matehaere, the only son of Tewetini Matehaere and Waikauri 2 Wharemate. At school the pakeha teachers couldn't pronounce his name Tika Wetini and decided to change it to the more english sounding Digga Weston. He and his sisters, as youngsters were brought up at a place I know as the boat shed, which is a cave down Puketapu beach near Pihama Taranak,in fact if you get a map of Taranaki and look up a place called Weston bay it should lead you right there. Tewetini was given the task of carer of the kaimoana, when you dived for a kai, it was he that told you where the best spot is, one that he had been saving for this season and which spots to leave alone, so it may replenish itself for the next season. Sadly both Wetini and Waikauri passed away of a disease, something similar to the plague which passed though Taranaki. Though my resources are still not 100% positive of what happened to them, we do know the kids (my koro and his sisters) were then brought up with their koro and nana, Wharemate Tuarea and Te Awe, who were Waikauri's parents. If you have any other queries cuz just email me and I'll get back to you.

Edited by - Te ouri on Nov 10 2005 10:52:20 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2005 8:25 pm
Te ouri OWC
(@te-ouri-owc)

Kia ora, its just Kerrin again, Uriana are you uncle Westons daughter, as the only Campbells I know that are related to us living in the sth Island are his children. If so, I'm uncle Warrens son. I'm pretty sure I'm on the mark here, that would make you my second cousin, my dad and your dad are 1st cousins but also whangai brothers, as my dad who is a Weston was brought up by his aunty, Rangiwhaia Campbell nee Wetini and her husband uncle Joe Campbell, who he knew as his mum and dad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2005 10:45 pm
vernakoperu OWC
(@vernakoperu-owc)

Kia Ora Uriana this message is on behalf of my nan, please email her in regards to more information on the Matehaere Name....@ patmr@kol.co.nz...it would be great if we could both get the history of the name together cheers

Verna.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2006 8:08 pm

Working

Please Login or Register