Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

METEKINGI  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Kia ora ano. Im looking for my aunty. I dont know her name. What I do know is her mother was/is a Metekingi from Whanganui. She and my papa had a baby girl in the mid-late 50s, they met in Wellington and the mother of the child, while pregnant went home to Whanganui and wanted nothing to do with my papa - he never met or ever found his daughter (as far as we know). Papas name was RAWHITI GRAFF TIPUNA and was from Hicks Bay. He played for Poneke rugby club and was known as "the Poneke Pocket Rocket". He was also a mechanic and went to Te Aute College. He was born in 1938 and was roughly 17-19 when his daughter was born. She was papa's first child. I never knew of this other child until he passed. My nan whos still alive told me all that she knew, which is only the info I have relaid here. Would love to find my aunty, all of us, her whanau here in Tauranga would love to know her.

Posted : 03 August, 2006 1:16 am
tutu OWC
(@tutu-owc)

Kia Ora Tamatea,

I'm related to the Metekingi Whanau, am also in Whanganui, so will get on to it strait away!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 1:51 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Any info out there?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2006 12:31 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 August, 2006 8:30 pm
teurumanao OWC
(@teurumanao-owc)

I know some of this whanau I will ask one of my friends to look at this site and see if he can help you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 December, 2006 7:53 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia ora ano. Im looking for my aunty. I dont know her name. What I do know is her mother was/is a Metekingi from Whanganui. She and my papa had a baby girl in the mid-late 50s, they met in Wellington and the mother of the child, while pregnant went home to Whanganui and wanted nothing to do with my papa - he never met or ever found his daughter (as far as we know). Papas name was RAWHITI GRAFF TIPUNA and was from Hicks Bay. He played for Poneke rugby club and was known as "the Poneke Pocket Rocket". He was also a mechanic and went to Te Aute College. He was born in 1938 and was roughly 17-19 when his daughter was born. She was papa's first child. I never knew of this other child until he passed. My nan whos still alive told me all that she knew, which is only the info I have relaid here. Would love to find my aunty, all of us, her whanau here in Tauranga would love to know her.

This is my whanau so I may be able to help if you could let me know the first name of the mother in question. The whanau is quite big as the old guy had a puna tahi and a puna rua.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2007 8:49 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

We have absolutely no idea. We only have the info. ive posted. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2007 11:13 am
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2007 8:23 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Just bumping it up

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2007 10:38 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Kia ora still trying to locate my aunty.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 March, 2007 11:20 am
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia ora still trying to locate my aunty.

Kia ora ano
I've got my whanau working on this but no luck so far. One way or another, I'll let you know what we turn up. Just to add, the Takarangi whanau from Whanganui are also Metekingis in that their tipuna was Takarangi Metekingi and his children took his first name as their surname. However, they sometimes use Metekingi too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 April, 2007 10:04 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

Thanks, havent lost hope. Well find her!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 April, 2007 9:55 pm
Army Brat OWC
(@army-brat-owc)

Tena koe Tamatea,
I am off the Takarangi line and have just spoken to my mother who lived and worked in Poneke around the same time as your papa. She said she can recall him as he lived in the Avonhurst hostel. She is making some inquiries with some of her friends and whanau who also lived at Avonhurst to see if they can recall the name of the Metekingi woman. She seems to think that the woman in question may have come off the Metekingi line but may have gone under a different surname. I will let you know if we come up with any new information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 July, 2007 2:47 pm
tamatea OWC
(@tamatea-owc)

tena rawa atu kia koe! i'll keep popping in to check if theres an update.
kia ora ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2007 1:39 pm
Army Brat OWC
(@army-brat-owc)

Kia ora ano,

We are still working on it Tamatea. Mum has bumped into one of her cousins last weekend who worked at Avonhurst in Poneke. She also seems to think that your Aunty may not have gone under the name of Metekingi but was connected to the Metekingi whanau. Does the surname "Ryder" ring any bells? The Ryder whanau is also connected to the Metekingi whanau. Will let you know of any new developments.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 August, 2007 1:56 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: