Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

MIHAKA / LEEF: Nga Puhi connection  

andrei OWC
(@andrei-owc)

Looking for information regarding Keita Mihaka. She Married Selwyn Leef from Panguru. My grandmother Winifred, Keita's Daughter, was sent to Omaio on the east coast when just a baby, raised by the Parekura whanau from the Otuwhare marae, and given the name Kiritapu after a Te whanau a Apanui tipuna. Dun Mihaka (the writer)is grandmother,s cousin. Any descendants or relatives who can shed light on the TaiTokerau/TaiRawhiti connection, please leave a message.
Also, I have a whakapapa that links Keita Mihaka to Hineamaru (Ngati hine),if any one can confirm or refute the authenticity of this whakapapa, I need to know. I am happy to share any information I have with like-minded seekers of whakapapa.

Edited by - pearlau on Mar 09 2005 3:05:50 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 December, 2004 3:35 pm
Sun N Sky Child OWC
(@sun-n-sky-child-owc)

Kia ora Andrei

Try visiting www.terarawa.co.nz and posting a message on their message board or contacting their office. The Leef whanau are from the Pangaru/Whangape area - someone from within the terarawa rohe should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Na
S & S child

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 January, 2005 5:35 pm
wainamunroe OWC
(@wainamunroe-owc)

Hineamaru is my tupuna from Pipiwai Ngati hine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2005 8:18 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

Leef is common in my mother's line. She was from Manaia Coromandel.Her cousin married Ned Leef an angelican minister. Any connection.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2005 4:48 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

Leef is common in my mother's line. She was from Manaia Coromandel.Her cousin married Ned Leef an angelican minister. Any connection.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2005 4:49 pm
bunty howearth OWC
(@bunty-howearth-owc)

Leef is common around the Hokianga. Panguru is only a part of the whakapapa that includes all spellings of the name in Maori & English. Leaf, Riwhi etc. All come from John Henry Leaf and Rangahau. My own great grandmother was a Leaf.
The name Keita is also a common name around the area so it should not be too hard to get information.
Will make some more enquiries and come back later
Bunty Howearth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 June, 2005 2:28 pm
karanima OWC
(@karanima-owc)

You may be interested in contacting Marion Wellington at the Genealogy Office in Waitara on Queen Street.

She may be able to enlighten on a few things. Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 August, 2005 1:11 pm
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

Try oldfriends site and look for Karina Mihaka...her dad Hira is Dunns brother.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2005 4:56 pm
missluvtoi OWC
(@missluvtoi-owc)

hi there ... my nan was Kare Te Aroha Toi ... nee Leef ... i have a striking suspicion that you are David Walkers sister ... if you are ... i've got the Leef book here for him to have a look through to hopefully help you all find your identity ... if my nan was still alive ... i know she would have been happy to help ... unfortunately she passed Feb 2005 ... however my dads brother Frazer knows quite a bit of our whakapapa ... if you are in the Bay of Plenty Area during the start of Dec 2005 then you are more then welcome to come over to discuss it with him ... (i've already let Dave know)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2005 7:26 pm
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Sir William Henry leaf. Park Hill Streaham England.
One son John Leaf married Te Rangahau [daughter of Whirinaki chief Kautawarua] in 1834 on the ship Brezelle Packet on the Hokianga. 12 children born between 1835-55. Te Rangahau -1858, John Leaf -1885
Plenty to choose from. I have the childrens marriage names if you need them. Hope the info is correct as my source is a tad worn - like my eyes!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 1:17 am

Working

Please Login or Register