Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

MOEKE whanau: Ngati Porou  

Page 1 / 3 Next
bubba OWC
(@bubba-owc)

kia ora...i am keen to talk to anyone who can help me locate members of the moeke whanau, originally based in ruatoria, however now scattered through out nz.
more specifically, i am looking for gayson moeke...the last i heard was that she had moved to western australia (that was approx 10yrs ago)
any help would be appreciated.....ta

Edited by - pearlau on Mar 09 2005 2:32:15 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2005 9:35 pm
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

Kiaora Bubba

I'm not sure if this could be any help, but my cousin was married to a person with the last name of Moeke for 10 years. I will ask her and post later.

Gin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 February, 2005 1:15 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Bubba

[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=432&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Finding+Whanau+%28Family%29&Topic_Title=Moeke+Whanau&whichpage=1&tmp=1#pid931"]This panui[/url] is about the Moeke whanau, maybe they could help

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 12:07 pm
Geenie OWC
(@geenie-owc)

Kia-ora, I am Gayson Moeke's niece. My mum is Sally, my uncles are Bart, blue, Cam, Tom, Rusty, Len, my aunties are Jimmy, Ducky, George, Joey, Pani, Bubs. I definately know we are talking about the same immediate family. Please ask me anything you like and I would be glad to help if I can. I havent heard from aunty Gayson in a while, but i'll ask my mum she might have her address.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2005 9:35 am
Geenie OWC
(@geenie-owc)

my email address is geeshakur@hotmail.com.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2005 1:42 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Moeke whanau,

I dont wish to hyjack your line of inquiry re locating Gayson Moeke-but like you I am also interested in learning more about my Moeke Whanau so thought Id add my own info to your thread
My grandmother was MINAORA MOEKE born 1901 @ Pahou, Whakatane
daughter of HONE KAWHENA MOEKE (of Ruatoria)& MARIANA TAIURU (of Torere)
Minaora married George Maxwell and they lived initially in the East Coat Opotiki area before resettling with his whanau @ Umupuia, Maretai. I would like to understand more of how my Moeke Whakapapa fits together. Minaora had died before my birth but I do recall meeting her brothers Reg and Smokey plus the widow of another brother who resided in Gisborne and have since had some contact with some other relatives (Moeke and Paniora whanau)
I would also like to learn more about our Ruatorian marae affiliations tribal connections and history
Any info much appreciated regards Joy (Germany)

Edited by - markonijoy on Nov 14 2005 02:42:38 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 March, 2005 7:51 am
punaruku OWC
(@punaruku-owc)

Nga mihi
Bubba - last time I heard Gayson was living in Esperance WA. She moved there during the early 90's. She was still wool classing on her last trip back to Aotearoa. I think she may have married her then partner (they were both in the shaering industry in Esperance) and probably got another last name. But the last time I spoke to her they were looking at purchasing a motor camp in that area. Thats about all I know I havent heard from her since about 96 and I don't think many of the whanau have either.

Geenie - Ka nui te aroha mohou i rongo nei maua ko Koka Pani kua mate to kuia a Rose i tera atu wiki ka tangi tonu te ngakau mo kotou. E ki ana te Atua " Kotou ma e taumaha ana i te mauiui haramai ki au maku kotou e whakaokioki" Heoi ano ra e te pa harakeke hanatu haere.

Kia ora niece Aunty Pani and I heard about the passing of your Nanny Rose, much love to you all.

The Moeke family connections are to Whareponga - Te Aitanga a Mate, Whakapaurangi - Te Aowera, Hiruharama - Te Awe Mapara and also Rongoitekai over there at Penu. To my knowledge the Moeke whanau descend from Eruera Kawhena Moeke. Though the Eruera name is not strong on this side of the family the Kawhena name is.

Have seen a whakapapa with a Hone/John Moeke (is this rugby playing one that you are descended from?)coming down through the Rongoitekai side which was a bit different, but hey I'll see if I still have it.

Hone, I think wasn't the only Moeke to settle in Whakatane I think Wiremu and maybe one other went there. E ki ana te korero those ones left about the time the Waima freezing works closed ki te whai mahi.

The Ngati Porou Moeke whanau are a big whanau, they still reside in Gisborne and also in Wanganui, Tauranga, Hamilton, Ngaruawahia, Auckland, Queenstown and Australia and those are only the ones we know about.

Heoi ano ra kua rahi ake tera moku mo tenei wa.

Mauriora
Punaruku

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2005 9:06 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Punaruku -thanks for the info youve shared concerning my own inquiries. What you say makes alot of sense as to why they would move. Im not sure if its the same Hone Moeke-the rugby player.What years did he play?
I am only just learning about this side of my whanau. I found your comments really helpful so thanks for that. Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2005 9:45 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Have just checked and YES it is the Hone Moeke from Rongi-i-te-kai so would appreciate seeing what you can find. Dont forget to add Germany to your Ngati Porou Moeke descendants places of residence. There are two of us here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2005 10:19 pm
punaruku OWC
(@punaruku-owc)

Nga mihi Joy
I know you are in Germany, but if you can access this book I think may have some of the answers you may want. It is a school centenial book documenting the move of sections of Te Whanau a Mate to Hiruharama.

Included in the book are numerous photos. I know there are some rugby photos of John Moeke (I think one may be a Maori All Black photo)but heaps of photos of the Moeke whanau in there.

Soutar, M. (1985) Hiruharama 90th School Reunion 1895-1985

In another book there is mention of the contribution made by Hiruharama during the second world war and especially the Moeke whanau.

Gardiner, W. The Story of the Maori Battalion.

We have met a few of the Moeke whanau from Whakatane and my friend both families look the same so the blood is strong.

Punaruku

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 10:54 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Punaruku
Very helpful to have some references thanks for that, shall search for them next time Im in NZ.If anyone else has a copy of either that they want to sell ...let me know. I think M.Souter must be my cousin Monty. regards Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 5:02 pm
punaruku OWC
(@punaruku-owc)

Monty Soutar thats the man. He is now the Director at the Tairawhiti Museum in Gisborne. He may have some back copies?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 10:16 am
legalize OWC
(@legalize-owc)

kia ora,
im a new member and i see you are looking for moekes from the east coast i live in waiau and there is a moeke whanau here from the coast two sisters Ratu and Rongo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2006 2:42 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Much thanks legalize for your response and a very big welcome into the group. I hope that you will find this site both interesting and useful
Regards Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 11:08 pm
Denzil OWC
(@denzil-owc)

Kia ora all,
My name is Denzil Moeke. It's awesome to see you are all interested in our Whakapapa! Sadly I was bought up in Muriwai with my Mum's whanau so I'm eager to learn more abut my Moeke roots! My Father has given me Whakapapa so here's our line.
My Fathers name is Rere Butler(aka Joe)Moeke who married Chiquita Pohatu. His siblings were Sally, Eruera, Maraea and Kereama.
Their Father was Arapeta-paku Moeke who married Raiha Wharehinga. His siblings were Watene and Hone.
Arapeta-paku's Dad was Wiremu Moeke who married Raiha Remana Leefe. His siblings were Keita, Hariata, Renata, Ngawini, Hana and Arapeta.
Wiremu's Dad was Eruera Kawhena Moeke who married Maraea Ngoingoi Tuari. Eruera only had a sister Apikara.
Their Dad was Watene Moeke who married Rahera Rau. Sadly it is unclear if Watene had any siblings.
Watene's Dad was Ihaia Tuawa who married Ani Poki.
Ihaia's siblings were Iraia(dec. March 1898), Iraia(Eli-1), Hone, Iraia Hone(Eli-2) and Phillip.

Edited by - Denzil on Jul 27 2006 3:01:20 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 July, 2006 10:44 am
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register