Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MONIKA, whanau, have never met any of my whanau from Gisborne way  

RSS
janemm2005 OWC
(@janemm2005-owc)

My fathers name is Barry Monika, his fathers name was John Monika i met my grandfather once when we found him after years of thinking he was dead in the war...it was on the news years ago...i've never met any of my fathers maori family...if anyone can help me that'd be great...

Ka kite
Jane

Posted : 28 September, 2005 10:45 pm
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

Have you checked out the Telecom white pgaes and put Monika in the search part?....that should bring up a few. I know Dianne Monika who was married to John but he passed away a couple of years ago...he would have been about 42ish?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2005 4:29 pm
Wananga OWC
(@wananga-owc)

Tena koe Jane
I know some Monika whanau here in Gisborne so u may find them in the phone book. Also if u follow rugby ? there is a Fred Monika who plays for the East Coast team. The whanau are also orig from Ruatoria.
e me back at Wananga@kol.co.nz
kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2005 10:11 am
rangipiwari OWC
(@rangipiwari-owc)

Kia ora

My GG Grandmothers name is Rawinia Monika she married Matemauroa McLean very prominent whanau in Ruatoria.

I think Rawinia had a brother whose name was Henare Monika. Im not sure where they lived but one of his daughters married into the "Tuna" family that use to live or maybe still living in Matata.

I've met this family once when my Mum was alive and while I was there aunty ??? (can't remember her name) gave me her whakapapa of their whanau.

If I remember correctly, some years ago their was a centinnial held in Ruatoria where all the whanau use to go to school and in the remembrance book their was a picture of Nanny Rawinia.

You could try contacting Te reo irirangi o Ngati Porou or even the runanga in Ruatoria, if theres no joy with them ask them for a contact number for Aunty Lexi McLean and she will be able to help.

Let me know how you get on

Na

Rangi Piwari

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2005 7:20 pm
IHoepo_1959 OWC
(@ihoepo_1959-owc)

Kia Ora I am Inagle and I live in Gisborne. There are Monika's living here, Terry Monika he is in his 50,s, he will know a lot of information about the Monika's. I have to get in contact with him, but I know he works at the Mobile Portside Service Station, Gisborne, the number is 068680268 whether your catch him or not I don't know, he is on shift work. His son is Fred Monika who plays rugby for East Coast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 July, 2006 11:55 am
IHoepo_1959 OWC
(@ihoepo_1959-owc)

kia ora again Janemm2005 here is Terry Monikas email you will be able to get all the infro from him TERRY.MONIKA@XTRA.CO.NZ You poberly already got all the infro since it has nerly been a year, never mine good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 July, 2006 4:03 pm
TERRY MONIKA OWC
(@terry-monika-owc)

quote:

My fathers name is Barry Monika, his fathers name was John Monika i met my grandfather once when we found him after years of thinking he was dead in the war...it was on the news years ago...i've never met any of my fathers maori family...if anyone can help me that'd be great...

Ka kite
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 August, 2006 9:36 pm
kaiwhakaora kani OWC
(@kaiwhakaora-kani-owc)

Hello Jane i am your fathers 1st cousin Terry Monika i suppose you will now know your grandfathers proper name is Fiji Hoia Monika he is my father John Monika older brother. When he came back from the second world war (japanese prisoner of war) His pakeha inlaws in Hamilton hid his family from him(racial problems)which was well documented on TV3 1989. When he could not locate his family he left Hamilton changed his name to John Manuel and quietly lived around the Auckland area fostering children unbeknown to anyone including our grandmother whom passed away in Gisborne at the age of 98.
Jane the Monika whanau are from Hiruharama . You Grandfathers brothers and sisters are Aunty Queeny . Aunty Tai Smith . John Monika . Aunty Tui Tuna . Aunty Liza Hema . Uncle Don Monika . Aunty Louie Rangi And your Great Grandfather is Henare Monika and Heni Te Noho Pani Jane Taare Monika They lived and farmed at Hiroharama for many years until my Grandfather died in 1940 something of haemoraging at a young age of fifty .My Grandfather also had an older sister Rawinia who married a Maclean whom has many decendants from that line.Good to see you are interested if you whant more info dont hessitate to ask .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 August, 2006 10:37 pm
kaiwhakaora kani OWC
(@kaiwhakaora-kani-owc)

By the way Jane when you and your two brothers were babys my Mother Daisy Monika had a breaf period of looking after yous and your mother Margaret at Te Teko you cant remember aye .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 August, 2006 10:55 pm
Share: