Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

POATA / PORTER, Tame / Tom  

Leahw
(@leahw)

Looking for info on Tame Poata or Tom Porter - Famous Maori tatooist. He is my great grand father on my mother's side. Looking for information on his wives and how he is related to Fanny Rose Howie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 April, 2005 6:28 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano leah.w

The Full Search in the Whakapapa Club brings up quite a few Poata. I am not too sure if any are for your Koro specifically.

If you go to google and do a search exactly like this

"tame poata"

with the "" in place you will find some infor about Tame Poata specifically. The "" means that the words have to be together on a page.

You can do the same kind of search for Fanny using her whole name. It looks like they are brother and sister.

Good luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 12:19 am
Leahw
(@leahw)

thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 4:54 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

I've looked at these sites, but the information is very limited. Does anyone from the Poata/Porter family have this man's name on their whakapapa or know of any stories about this man.
Anything is helpful.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2005 5:31 pm
KP OWC
(@kp-owc)

quote:

I've looked at these sites, but the information is very limited. Does anyone from the Poata/Porter family have this man's name on their whakapapa or know of any stories about this man.
Anything is helpful.
Thanks

Tena koe Leah,
I have exciting news for you... my great grandfather was good friends/whanaunga with Tame Poata/Porter and I have most of his whakapapa which my grandfather handwrote from his own writings. All of these date back to the 1800's these are kept in a safe in my whanau museum. Would love to share and have a korero with you regarding this topic. Will post you my email as a private reply.

Edited by - KP on Jun 23 2005 5:12:25 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2005 5:10 pm
Barbara OWC
(@barbara-owc)

Kia ora - We have a Tame Porter (Tom) in our Database - If you contact marcus.lloyd@ngaariki.com he may be able to help you with a bit more information- to see if your Tame and ours is the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 July, 2005 10:51 am
Leahw
(@leahw)

Thank you for your help Barbara, I will contact Marcus.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 July, 2005 12:04 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...
There are the Poata/Porter whanau from the Northland settlement of Matangirau-Te Touwai area [near Kaeo]. Our urupa is full of the Poata Whanau descending from Wiremu & Marama [nee Tupe] Poata, with Marama being a descendant of Hongi Hika'a tukana.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2005 11:11 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

Thank you for your reply hohaia, but the Poata whanau that I am from is from the Tokomaru Bay area. My Whanau descend from Herewaka Te Rangi Pai and Col. Thomas Porter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 August, 2005 2:34 pm
Prue Poata OWC
(@prue-poata-owc)

Kia ora Leah.
Well then you must be my whanaunga! No reira tena koe whanaunga. Can I ask, what's your mothers name?

Tame (Tamati Rihara) Poata is my great grandfather too. My name is Prue Ruataupare Poata. My father is Tama Te Kapua (Tom) Poata. His father is Te Kani a Takirau Poata - he is stil alive and will be 95 years old this year. And his father was Tame Poata, the tohunga ta moko and tohunga whakairo. Tame is buried at Mataora Bay on the Coromandel with his daughter Fanny Hamlin. He was married to Te AoKapurangi Chase from Te Arawa. She is buried at Tuatini in Tokomaru Bay. Tames mother was Herewaka Te Rangi Pai Potae. Her father was Tame i Whakanahua i te Rangi who signed the Treaty of Waitangi at Tokomaru Bay. Herewaka's mother was Mereana Tongia. Herewaka married Colonel Thomas William Rose Porter from the Rose Clan in Scotland. Colonel Porter, was a mayor of Gisborne for some time.

Fanny Rose Howie was Tame's sister. She was a famous opera singer and performed by Royal Command in London. She perfomrmed under the name Te Rangi Pai. She married John Howie (they had no issue) and she is now buried at Te Araroa, Kaiaiao in Whanau-a-Apanui / Ngati Porou area.

Tame is featured in a number of books by the historian Michael King. One of those books is called "Moko". Another is "Coromandel". Col Porter, Herewaka, Fanny Rose Howie are also featured in the Dictionary of NZ Biography which is online too.

I have much more whakapapa details and interesting information about our whanau. You're welcome to e-mail me on ngartime@hotmail.com.

Hei kona.

quote:

Looking for info on Tame Poata or Tom Porter - Famous Maori tatooist. He is my great grand father on my mother's side. Looking for information on his wives and how he is related to Fanny Rose Howie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 August, 2005 9:30 am
Barbara OWC
(@barbara-owc)

Kia ora Leah, very pleased to see that you have found your whanau. It is something special to be able to belong somewhere and to find out the history of your Tipuna.

Kia kaha and good luck to the new start in your life.

Barbara

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 August, 2005 10:09 am
Prue Poata OWC
(@prue-poata-owc)

My e-mail is actually ngarutime@hotmail.com

quote:

Kia ora Leah.
Well then you must be my whanaunga! No reira tena koe whanaunga. Can I ask, what's your mothers name?

Tame (Tamati Rihara) Poata is my great grandfather too. My name is Prue Ruataupare Poata. My father is Tama Te Kapua (Tom) Poata. His father is Te Kani a Takirau Poata - he is stil alive and will be 95 years old this year. And his father was Tame Poata, the tohunga ta moko and tohunga whakairo. Tame is buried at Mataora Bay on the Coromandel with his daughter Fanny Hamlin. He was married to Te AoKapurangi Chase from Te Arawa. She is buried at Tuatini in Tokomaru Bay. Tames mother was Herewaka Te Rangi Pai Potae. Her father was Tame i Whakanahua i te Rangi who signed the Treaty of Waitangi at Tokomaru Bay. Herewaka's mother was Mereana Tongia. Herewaka married Colonel Thomas William Rose Porter from the Rose Clan in Scotland. Colonel Porter, was a mayor of Gisborne for some time.

Fanny Rose Howie was Tame's sister. She was a famous opera singer and performed by Royal Command in London. She perfomrmed under the name Te Rangi Pai. She married John Howie (they had no issue) and she is now buried at Te Araroa, Kaiaiao in Whanau-a-Apanui / Ngati Porou area.

Tame is featured in a number of books by the historian Michael King. One of those books is called "Moko". Another is "Coromandel". Col Porter, Herewaka, Fanny Rose Howie are also featured in the Dictionary of NZ Biography which is online too.

I have much more whakapapa details and interesting information about our whanau. You're welcome to e-mail me on ngartime@hotmail.com.

Hei kona.

quote:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 August, 2005 10:41 am
Prue Poata OWC
(@prue-poata-owc)

Oh and aroha mai...another spelling mistake 😮 ...it should be Tama i Whakanehua i te Rangi (not Whakanahua). He was also known as Tamati Waaka and that's how his name appears on Te Tiriti o Waitangi. There's a book, that's published and widely available in NZ libraries, by "Anaru Reedy" that contains Herewaka's whakapapa (ie: Tame Poata's mother)and that whakapapa goes all the way back to Tane Nui A Rangi and Hine Ahu One (the first woman). The book is called "Nga Korero A Mohi Ruatapu tohunga rongonui o Ngati Porou - the writings of Mohi Ruatapu." Translated, edited and annotated by Anaru Reedy, Canterbury University Press, Christchurch, 1994. It also contains whakapaa of Rapata Wahawaha who was raised (whangai) by Herewaka's father, Tama i Whakanehua i te Rangi. There are many stories in that book which were told to Colonel Porter by the tohunga Mohi Ruatapu, and translated into English by Anaru Reedy.

quote:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 August, 2005 11:46 am
Leahw
(@leahw)

Kia ora Prue,
I tried sending you email but it kept bouncing back. You can send me email anytime to ladyleah@iprimus.com.au
My mother's name is Ruby - AKA 'HONEY BUNCH'; her mother's name is FANNY HAMLIN - (nee Poata). I have lots to talk with you about. I can't wait to hear from you again.
Arohanui,
Leah

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 August, 2005 1:53 pm

Working

Please Login or Register