Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

PUNOKE, Matekino  

huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

Tena koe

Looking for anyone who may have know history about matekino punoke, died at aged 98yrs old 1964.
His father also name was matekino punoke died in pa war at kihikhi.

Anyway, matekino was the man who is tohanga & korero at Turangawaewae, and pukawa marae. Also was king tawhaio right hand man.

This is far as I've got.
Hope someone or whanau out there can help me know any of his history.
I really appreciate it.

kia ora

Edited by - pearlau on Mar 09 2005 2:48:40 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2005 7:46 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano huiabird,

Firstly this produces some interesting results in the search engines. There are a few links, but most of them are not working! It seems that the pages have been merged and I have also had a nosey around the archives in that site, but they only go to Oct 2003. The current listings go from May 2004 and the info that is on the search engine is for dates between Oct 2003 and May 2004. Here is the information that it says on the search engine is:

quote:

... Matekino Punoke & Ariki Houmaha - Tamati Whanau? ... His grandfather name known as MATEKINO PUNOKE. Died at the age of 97 years old. His wife name Ariki Houmaha. ...

quote:

... Re: Ngati Porou - Morrell - Judy Hales March 15, 2004, 7:33 pm: Matekino Punoke & Ariki Houmaha - Tamati Whanau? - Alonay TeHuia ...

quote:

... Matekino Punoke & Ariki Houmaha - Tamati Whanau? - Alonay TeHuia February 28, 2004, 10:26 pm: Pateriki Wirehu Toma Te Huia, N'Tuwharetoa ...

Not much help I know, but maybe you know the other names and that may help you.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2005 10:57 pm
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

Kia ora poutokomanawa

Oops! what do you mean nosy around the archives.
Did you mean national archives auckland?

I like a private confidential with you if it's ok concerns my tipuna.
your email contact

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 February, 2005 1:29 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano huiabird

LOL, no way did I mean NZ Archives - I don't go noseying in there for anyone who is not mine or who does not call me

members2.boardhost.com/wlorac/msg/2734.html is the url that the posts refer to, but it gives the "not found error"

http://members2.boardhost.com/wlorac/?1076163854 is another url of the post that goes to the GENEoNZ - Maori Researchers page. At that site there are archieves of old posts - so that was the archives that I had a nosey around.

I have also sent you a pm

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 February, 2005 2:04 pm
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

Tena ano i te ahua o nga patai korero mo te tupuna na i a Punoke.
I am from Raukawa ki Te Kaokao-roa-o-Paatetere which covers the pakeha district boundries of the South Waikato, ie: Tirau, Puutaaruru and Te Tokoroa. The descendants of that tupuna are the whanau Mohi who have sinced changed their name to Moses. It is correct that that koroua passed away back in the 1960s and had recently had his unveiling back in December of 1999 at Mangakaaretu marae, Puutaaruru. You will find some information of Puunoke in the 1990 PUTARURU book published by some tore pakeha named Shearer.
And if I am right by what I read on the thread above, that name ' Houmaha' should be Haumaha and the name, as that is also a tupuna name from the Haumaha family here which is well known. The Ariki, from what I heard from my mother was ' Te Aarani, but will check my books to see how those connections. You will also find the name of that koroua of Puunoke in the Mangarautawhiri, Opouaru, Manapouri land court minutes held in cambridge back in the 1880s as he was one of the land holders back in those days. As for the Kingitanga, the tupuna back in Te Kaokao-roa-o-Paatetere area were staunch supporters of that kaupapa with King Tawhiao who named a few whare in the area.
My connection to Puunoke is thru my great great great tupuna tane Manutawhiorangi.

Ka mutu aaku nei korero whakamaarama i konei
Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2005 11:43 am
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

Emi tirohia enei panuitanga.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 7:20 pm
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

tenei ano te whakamaangi nei i tenei na