Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RANGI, TE RANGI, WIARI  

RSS
NANA-LEE
(@nana-lee)

Kia Ora I dunno where to start in this quest, but I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the surname WIARI reason I am asking is to gain knowledge for our tamariki, I am learning my whakapapa and now trying to find out more of my Husbands Whakapapa.
We currently use his mothers marae as his "home base" which in turn is her mothers "home base"
My Husband didnt know his father so I'm looking at his grandfathers line?
The person I am referring to is Dan Rangi who took his father's first name. Te Rangi Wiari, I was told by my mother inlaw Peggy Teresa Puketapu Rangi that over time the Te was dropped for reason she was unsure of. She knew of another brother of Dan's following suit with the Te Rangi name and the rest of the siblings keeping the Wiari name.
Do I make sence lol? I understand it I hope you can follow?
Any infomation great or small will be greatly recieved.

Posted : 05 September, 2006 1:10 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kiaora

There is a big whanau of Wiari in Whanganui, (2 brothers), one married my mum's sister and the other brother married into my fathers side. We all affiliate to the Whanganui River, to Raetihi, then over to Taihape and then just about all over the motu. But most of us were brought up in Raetihi together. and there is another family that is also very close to the Wiari side and that is the Menehira or Manihira whanau (hope I don't have the names spelt wrong), and I think they were half brothers.
I'm surprise one of them has'nt read your panui yet.

KIAORA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2006 12:26 am
NANA-LEE
(@nana-lee)

Kia Ora Kiriwai
Thankyou so much for your reply, it has given me a start, I wish I had more information to give as who the siblings first names were of my Husbands grandfather, If I remember rightly in one of my many chats with my mother in law she said her dad was born in Otorohunga.

KIA ORA na Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2006 5:46 am
Dianne H
(@dianne-h)

Kia Ora, Try Ivan Wiari in the Wanganui phone book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 October, 2006 6:56 pm
Tenneile Baker OWC
(@tenneile-baker-owc)

Kia-Ora...I'm not sure where to start..
My mums maiden name is Rangimoeakau but was cut down to Rangi. My mum said that my nanny couldn't fit Rangimoeakau on her birth certificate so my nan just wrote Rangi.

My mums name is Waireti Baker (nee Rangimoeakau)
Grew up in Rotorua and was whangaied into the Te Aranui Matenga Whanau..My mum and dad is living in porirua been there for 21 years..

if you'd like to know more info you can email my mum on d.vbaker@xtra.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 October, 2006 5:01 pm
Munch OWC
(@munch-owc)

Kia Ora Whiskey
Good news! We had a family meeting last weekend & a reunion for the descendants of Te Rangi Wiari is being planned for Easter 2009.

p.s - I met uncle Pat, uncle Tui & aunty Deena.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2008 4:41 am
Kataraina Tokomauri Bedford
(@kataraina-tokomauri-bedford)

My connection to the Wiari name is from the Rotorua area as my Grandmother was a Wiari and they farmed in the Horohoro area and lived in Whakarewarewa Pa with her sisters my kuia's, also their are other Wiara whanau's connections in Rotorua.
Ka Bedford nee Raponi
bedfordb@optusnet.com.au

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 February, 2008 10:02 am
Share: