Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Rangiuia , Tohunga Uawa  

RSS
Te Matatuhi OWC
(@te-matatuhi-owc)

Looking for the names of this Tupunas wives. I descend from his marriage with Arakiterangi, and their daughter Anahera Rangiuia who married Henare Ruru abt 1840. Could anyone confirm or help me with these names please. Kia Ora Nash

Posted : 03 January, 2007 8:56 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

My uncle Tuhi Ruru was named after a Matatuhi(why?you'll have to ask him) My uncle Henare Ruru(d) was named after his granduncle Henare Ruru II and Henare Keepa Ruru I who is my greatgreat grandfather of 2 sons Karaitiana & Potoramu Ruru. of Takipu & Tapuihikitia Marae in Te Karaka and Puha (Waikohu district/Gisborne). Karaitiana had 9 children.
Im not sure if Anahera Rangiuia was married to my gtgtgrandfather but you can see the Ruru line in the book Redemption Songs.
Im not sure about the name "Te Matatuhi" either but my uncle and cousin are the only people i know with this name.
The book does however show a Hineato(w) as the grandparent and Hiria as the parent of Henare Ruru I.

Geez cuz we could be whanaunga! If you want to talk phone 078864738 or 0273520202
Their are only two diferent images of
Henare Ruru I, my whanau has and a story about him - which i gave to my brother so i wouldnt lose it.

Edited by - teawaiti on Jan 07 2007 9:05:27 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2007 12:27 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Its possible your Henare Ruru could be the 4th eldest of the nine children Between Karitiana Ruru and Rarua Brown(Parone) known as Henare Keepa Ruru II (a well respected kaumatua) The eldest was Pikihoro(d) and the youngest Jack Ruru(d) who was my grandfather and last RURU kaumatua of our marae.
We have very close ties to uawa/tolaga bay through William Brown the first european to settle on the east coast - and through the Crawford whanau of Mangatuna/tolaga bay.

I may have more details of our whakapapa.

In your sort note, we seem to have alot of similarities.
Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2007 1:23 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

http://www.maorilandonline.govt.nz/mlol/searchresults.jsp?firstName=te+matatuhi&lastName=ruru&submitOwner=Search&trustName=&blockName=&district=

Click on this link and you will find a "Te Matatuhi Ruru" - who has 1 block interest/land shares in Patutahi near Gisborne.
And so does my immediate whanau - and i see that my uncle's name is spelt and listed as "Mata Tuhi Ruru" ie. these are two different names listed as owners.
http://www.maorilandonline.govt.nz/mlol/blockowners.jsp?blockID=26021
Te Matatuhi Ruru has land monies owing $966

- but this is not my first Uncle/ Mata Tuhi Ruru

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 3:31 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

I believe ruru whanau connected to rongowhakaata

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2007 3:30 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Looking for the names of this Tupunas wives. I descend from his marriage with Arakiterangi, and their daughter Anahera Rangiuia who married Henare Ruru abt 1840. Could anyone confirm or help me with these names please. Kia Ora Nash

I have a whakapapa with two wives listed and a comment "tera atu o nga wahine". The two wives are Hineporakua who was the mother of Tuterangiwhaitiri, Hare Matenga and Hera Muka. This wife would seem to be the senior wife because Tuterangiwhaitiri was destined to be his heir before his death. The second wife is Riria who had Pateriki Pahura who had Katerina who married Hamiora Hei I from Te Kaha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 10:54 am
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

quote:

I have a whakapapa with two wives listed and a comment "tera atu o nga wahine". The two wives are Hineporakua who was the mother of Tuterangiwhaitiri, Hare Matenga and Hera Muka. This wife would seem to be the senior wife because Tuterangiwhaitiri was destined to be his heir before his death. The second wife is Riria who had Pateriki Pahura who had Katerina who married Hamiora Hei I from Te Kaha.

I've found in my whakapapa books two further wives of Rangiuia. They are Maraea, mother of Hamiora Manawapau and Te Arahinehuirangi, mother of Te Anahera who married Henare Ruru and had Te Wairama and Tepora who married Paku Morete, then Koroniria Te Ana.

Hare Matenga mentioned above married Ruiha Tinaku and had Arapeta Rangiuia. Hera Muka above married Te Paki Amaru and had Karaitiana Tuketenui Amaru who married Ene Te Kani and Te Mo Te Kani.

Pateriki Pahura above married Mereana Porangi and had Tame Pahura who married Ereti Meihana and had Kino who married Remana Paenga. Pateriki Pahura then married Mihi Hetekia and had Eru Rangiuia who married Harata Fernandez. They also had Katerina who married Hamiora Hei.

The order of the wives has Marae 3rd and Te Arahinehuirangi 4th.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2007 8:11 pm
a.giacon OWC
(@a-giacon-owc)

I have a whakapapa for some of my whanau, and there was a bit on Ruru at the top of it. It is not very clear as isa copy of a copy. But will type what it says.
Names on the far left were not all there! SO will leave blanks in the unknown letters space

----horo= Kohakitu
--akapakihau = Rangitaukapo-I-Waho
--oka-I-Te-Rangi = Matia
--hitimata = Hinekakamaurea
-ru Te Toi = Matire
-tareta Ruru = Henare Keepa Ruru I
Karaitiana Ruru = Kato Puha
Henare Keepa Ruru = Maata Ruru
E. M Ruru

On the other side of the page it reads:
Tamaeuia = ?utatu
Te Rapinga= Wairua Kaheke
Te whiwhi-o-te Rangi= Wanangaahau
Hineato = Matatuhi
Hiria Tirotiro = Mokoera
Henare Keepa Ruru

At the bottom it says
-- o Whakapapa ena o Te-Aitanga-a Mahaki me Rongawhakaata.
--o whanaunga hoki tera atu ano te nuinga.

Hope this might have been of some help.

I recognised the name when looking sonething else up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 8:26 pm
nopera
(@nopera)

I found this at www.dnzb.govt.nz Dictionary of New Zealand Biography = Te Rangiua, Nopera fl 1835 =1850
just a small quote from the article
"Chritian services were held in Te Rangiuia's house until late 1845 when the missionaries realised he had not abondoned polygamy."
I am putting together a RANGIUIA tree at tribalpages (just google tibalpages) tree name RANGIUIA please help me get this in order
everyone is welcome to add information - have a look
Laurian Rangiuia aka Nopera

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2008 9:53 pm
nopera
(@nopera)

quote:

I found this at www.dnzb.govt.nz Dictionary of New Zealand Biography = Te Rangiuia, Nopera fl 1835 =1850
just a small quote from the article
"Christian services were held in Te Rangiuia's house until late 1845 when the missionaries realised he had not abondoned polygamy."
I am putting together a RANGIUIA tree at tribalpages (just google tribalpages) tree name RANGIUIA please help me get this in order
everyone is welcome to add information - have a look
Laurian Rangiuia aka Nopera

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2008 10:40 pm
Share: