Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RAWIRI, Metiria: IWI and HAPU of. WHIRINAKI/HOKIANGA  

RSS
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Im looking for help with any information about the whanau of
"Metiria Rawiri"(deceased) from Whirinaki/Hokianga - so that i can identify with my grandmother's & mother's iwi/hapu.

I thought it was important for me not to assume that my late grandmother who passed before i was born, was of Ngapuhi - so, this prompted me to find out for sure about what my tupuna's iwi & hapu are.

Here is what i have about my grandmother: Her whanau are from Whirinaki near Opononi/Hokianga (marae name:unknown)
Her name is Metiria Rawiri of >Hone Rawiri & Matapuna.
Hone Rawiri of>Mamae Rawiri.
Matapuna of>(f)Te Wi Kingi or Matapuna Te Wi or Meteria Te Kingi.

Tena koe,
I value your response

Edited by - teawaiti on Jan 11 2007 4:20:58 PM

Posted : 05 January, 2007 6:13 pm
huriepbo@hotmail.com OWC
(@huriepbohotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora teawaiti., my name is Faith Rawiri., I like you have been keen to find other family members., my husband is Daryl Rawiri.,as far as we have been able to find out his whanau hail from South Auckland.,I see your family are from the Hokianga.,we recently visited that area at a place called Panguru across the harbour on the northern side.,we visited a urupa at a place called RangiPoint.,the church there is called Tapu Ripeka., there were two Rawiri's there.,unfortunately I did not take note of the names.,I would like to if possible get any information that you may have concerning the Rawiri whanau.,I can be found here at; huriepbo@hotmail.com.,with much thanks Faith Rawiri.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2007 10:38 pm
kitten OWC
(@kitten-owc)

There is a Rawiri whanau at Rangikohu Marae in Manukau, Herekino the far north. They are very knowledgable and a big loving whanau.I am sure they will help if they can.I maybe able to help make contact if you are interested.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2007 3:41 am
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Thanks kitten, another member has already given me an email for a Sam who lives in Whirinaki - however you are welcome to send me any email contacts for Rawiri whanau. So I can write to them, as I live in Tokoroa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2007 7:02 pm
Te Kuta OWC
(@te-kuta-owc)

Kia Ora Whanau,

Te Ramaroa te Maunga
Hokianga te Moana
Whirinaki te Awa
Te Hikutu te Hapu
Kupe Te Tangata
Matai Ara Nui,
Pa te Aroha,
Moria Nga Marae

I only know Dale Rawiri and them, but We are all actually Tui's,
Tui married Mere Peka the had, Wikaira Tui, Rawiri Tui, Penehio Tui,
& Paratene Tui, they all take up their first name, yes your cousins are David Wikaira Paul, and Rawiri Paratene jus to name a couple, of cuzzies, Rawiri a big name up there, famous for World War 2 and stuff
heaps of them too, go to www.TeHikutu.com jus to learn a bit more and email them k, Peace

We can't live on love and Pipi's alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2007 9:24 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Yes I did come across this website - & Is this your mihi/or my mihi? or your response to these posting.

If this is your mihi, I appreciate this. Im sorry my maori is very limited.

However whoever's mihi this is I am uncertain as to why you have named 3 marae in this way - which leads me to my question, what marae does your Dale Rawiri identify with - Moria? or all three?

I only just started my research last year for a Cert.in Mauri Ora and I didnt know much about my late grandmother/Nga Puhi hapu/iwi connections, so I dicided to do something about it. I have completed the questions for my studies but I am starting to get more helpful responses and contacts now that I have finished the questions I needed to answer.

Your information about Tui married Mere Peka & children is very interesting and knew to me - as so is everything with my Rawiri whakapapa.

You may not know - but you have spurred me to new horizons, to learn more about my nanny Meteria Rawiri.

For this I THANK YOU

AROHANUI

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2007 11:56 am
Te Kuta OWC
(@te-kuta-owc)

Kia Ora Cuzzie,

Generally speaking, all 3 are yours, but if you want me to go out on a limb, it would be Moria, if you want to know more history about Whirinaki just keep replying, like the name Te Hikutu, that name comes from the islands, before we came here, I think it was Kupe's Hapu, thats why we are called Tamariki A Kupe. let me know k.

We can't live on love and pipi's alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2007 4:51 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Kia ora, Kuta

I will do some whakapapa searches and see what I come up with.

Do you have any ideas/reasons why Rawiri or Te Hikutu hapu/whanau may have migrated to Whaingaroa/Raglan Habour. My grandmother would have made the move about 1910-1925? Kai moana would have been abundant then.

I will let you know what connections I can find and further questions/confirmations.

Tena Koe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 March, 2007 12:18 pm
Te Kuta OWC
(@te-kuta-owc)

Kia Ora Cuz,

Not Particularly, but yeah all our whanaus moved away to other areas,
i have heard of some possibilities, but i won't say unless im for sure, you know jus rumours and stuff, but i think it was over crowded, hope that helps.

We can't live on love and Pipi's alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2007 6:02 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Well from what my mother says my grandfather was originally from Taranaki/Waitara and moved to Kawhia as a child before he ended up in Waingaro beside Raglan Harbour. - So our parents don't always give us much to go on, by sharing what they can tell us is like putting together pieces of an old jigsaw with some pieces missing.

If you ask me I feel quite privileged to come from a union of two very distinct and distant iwi.

You can always send me a private message (last icon above)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2007 11:29 am
Peratami OWC
(@peratami-owc)

Kia ora

Not sure how your kuia fits, however Uncles Wiki and Goff both continue to live in the Hokianga. They are the sons of Tamaho Rawiri.

Dales grandfather was a son of Tamaho Rawiri. Rawiri Te Tahua (aka Pikitu Rawiri) is buried in Pukekoukou urupa in Whirinaki.

Good luck with your search.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 February, 2008 1:37 pm
ngatiwilson OWC
(@ngatiwilson-owc)

Whirinaki is the most beautiful place - you are indeed blessed to whakapapa back to there!! Our son was given the name Te Ramaroa by the Wikaira family and we travel there frequently to foster the hononga we have with the locals, many of whom have married Waikato people! You may be interested in what is called Outward Bound, a holiday programme run just after New Year every year (been 20+ years now). It is an opportunity for urban Te Hikutu-ites especially rangatahi to return to Whirinaki & learn about people, places, history etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2008 12:22 pm
Share: