Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RONGO I TE KAI  

RSS
ihiperamahuika OWC
(@ihiperamahuika-owc)

Tena koutou katoa.

Does anyone have any information about Rongo-i-te-kai and Rongohaere from Te Aowera - Ngati Porou. I heard a korero that Rongo-i-te-kai was a stunning looking man who is said to be an authoritarian of kapa haka on the East Coast. Also, that he was a very intelligent poet in his time. Was Rongohaere his wife? who was she? any info would be greatfully received.

Na Ihipera

Posted : 02 June, 2006 12:19 pm
Panipani OWC
(@panipani-owc)

Kia Ora

Rongohaere was his sister, and the other information is at home, but I'll hola back if you haven't got the information already.

Pani McLean

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2006 7:14 pm
Te_Mohoao OWC
(@te_mohoao-owc)

Kia ora e hika,
Rongohaere and Rongo-i-te-kai were brother and sister- also there were Manupokai who was the oldest, Wi-o-te-rangi, Kurawai and Materoa-iti. He was named after the death of Nga kuri-paaka-a-Uetuhiao (Kuku, Korohau and Rongotangatake)Kuku was their grandfather and it was Rongo-i-te-kai who avenged their deaths. He married Hinewairere who was the daughter of Kapohanga-His descendents call themselves Te whanau-a-Rongo-i-te-kai which is a hapu of Te Aitanga-a-mate. There is a lot more information about Rongo-i-te-kai and his "exploits" and also about his father Te Rangitawaea and, grandfather Kuku and Kuku's brothers.(because of Kuku and his brothers, we of Hiruharama have always been known as "Jeru dogs")
Ronghaere married Tuhorouta and she lived at her pa Oroua at Hauanu in the vicinity of Makarika.
After an "incident" regarding her brother Rongo-i-te-kai his land passed into her control- her hapu was known as Ngati Rehu.
Heoi ano
He uri na Nga Kuri-paaka-a-uetuhiao

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 5:19 pm
mcaddie
(@mcaddie)

Kia ora whanau - Penu / Rongo i te Kai has it's own website now: www.mymarae.com/penu

Jump on the mailing list if you want regular updates from the marae committee / ahi kaa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2007 8:58 pm
Share: