Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Solutions to locating beneficiaries of land blocks  

RSS
iraboyd@hotmail.com OWC
(@iraboydhotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora whanau, thought this would be interesting reading. Enjoy.

There are two areas that could be explored for the collection of address information:
1..the Treaty settlement process; and
2..electoral rolls.
Part of the Treaty settlement process involves claimants setting up a register for all those who belong to a given iwi, because only those who belong to the iwi are allowed to vote on the ratification and benefit from the settlement. For example, Ngāi Tahu currently has a tribal register recording about 31,000 members. Such registers would provide valuable information to the Māori Land Court Unit, if access was granted. The same goes for information provided through the census process, though issues of privacy could limit access to this information.

Information provided through the electoral rolls is freely available in hard copy, though it would be a tedious exercise to go through it manually to find any useful information. Some of the Trustee’s regional offices have already undertaken this lengthy task, with limited success, and their work was complicated by the fact that many owners have multiple names. If the Māori Land Court Unit and the Trustee were able to negotiate electronic access to the rolls, their task would be made much easier.

Recommendations
We recommend that –
24.. The Trustee consider further ways to find contact details for unlocated beneficiaries.
25.. The Māori Land Court Unit and the Trustee negotiate joint electronic access to the Electoral Roll.

ma te waa whanau.

Posted : 16 December, 2006 9:03 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

I wonder if its feasible to set up something online with names of those people they havent got contact details for. Then they or their decendants could initiate the updating and verfication of their claim.
I realise NZ has quite strict laws regarding peoples right to maintaining privacy.
There are also the tribal registers ( which youve referred to) or IRD which could be considered as good sources for current information

Common sense says that at some point the protection of an individuals right to privacy has to be breeched in order to move forward and update the info, its simply a case of working out which gives the most info with the least amount of intrusion.
Im inclined to think advertising names of those they have never had contact with over a long period of time would prove quicker than trying to trace people through the other means as if they had died -then what, dead end!

Edited by - markonijoy on Dec 17 2006 10:51:59 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2006 10:49 pm
iraboyd@hotmail.com OWC
(@iraboydhotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

I wonder if its feasible to set up something online with names of those people they havent got contact details for. Then they or their decendants could initiate the updating and verfication of their claim.
I realise NZ has quite strict laws regarding peoples right to maintaining privacy.
There are also the tribal registers ( which youve referred to) or IRD which could be considered as good sources for current information

Common sense says that at some point the protection of an individuals right to privacy has to be breeched in order to move forward and update the info, its simply a case of working out which gives the most info with the least amount of intrusion.
Im inclined to think advertising names of those they have never had contact with over a long period of time would prove quicker than trying to trace people through the other means as if they had died -then what, dead end!

Edited by - markonijoy on Dec 17 2006 10:51:59 PM

Morena Markonijoy,
I especially liked this korero: "Common sense says that at some point the protection of an individuals right to privacy has to be breeched in order to move forward and update the info, its simply a case of working out which gives the most info with the least amount of intrusion".
I don't wish to breach anyone's privacy but if it helps to find all these unknown whereabout land owners, oh well, can't be all that bad, I hope!
Ka pai to korero. Tautoko to korero.
Noho ora mai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 4:16 am
Share: