Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Succession to Land Shares.  

RSS
iraboyd@hotmail.com OWC
(@iraboydhotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

A succession order is:

To legally transfer the land interests of a deceased person to his/her successors, the Màori Land Court must issue a succession order or contact them at
http://www.justice.govt.nz/maorilandcourt/contactus.htm

Finding out if you have entitlement for succession.

If a family member has died and you believe that they may have owned interests in Màori land to which you may be entitled to succeed, you can find out about those interests by:

1.. going to the Màori Land Court and searching on the electronic database,

2.. or getting someone to do this for you.

3.. completing an application for a search. This application will require the Màori Land Court staff to search the records for you.

4.. this process is known as a Part IV search and is provided free of charge.

Searching Màori Land Court records.

1.. Before starting a search, get together as much of the following information about the deceased person as possible!

2.. This information will assist the Màori Land Court to determine all land interests:

all the deceased person’s names (including their maiden name, if applicable),

the names of anyone else from whom the deceased person obtained interests,

the deceased person’s brothers’ and sisters’ names.

the deceased person’s parents’ names (including the mother’s maiden name)

the names of the lands in which the deceased person may have had interests.

ma te waa whanau.

Posted : 14 January, 2007 1:05 pm
thel OWC
(@thel-owc)

Kia ora I am hoping that you can help me.
My sister passed away 14 years ago and in her will she left land that was inherited from our mother to a nephew and neice. Just recently the nephew and I were talking about it and he mentioned to me that the land was never legally transfered to them and they have never recieved payments(which my sister would receive annually)or any kind of correspondence form anyone. They were and still are quite young people and want to know if legally they still own what land she had (which isn't much). I would be very grateful for any advice you could give them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2007 11:26 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora
I understand "absolute" What must we do next? what happen to the interests or where to from here?
Thought I ask

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 August, 2007 12:15 am
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

My sister passed away 14 years ago and in her will she left land that was inherited from our mother to a nephew and neice. Just recently the nephew and I were talking about it and he mentioned to me that the land was never legally transfered to them and they have never recieved payments(which my sister would receive annually)or any kind of correspondence form anyone. They were and still are quite young people and want to know if legally they still own what land she had (which isn't much). I would be very grateful for any advice you could give them.

Hi thel, is your sister their legal mother?

Arohamai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 August, 2007 5:41 pm
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Kia ora thel,

Below is the link to unclaimed land monies list. Has the names of maori land owners/shareholders who have not collected their land monies.

Usually the land monies are not collected because:
The landowner/shareholder has died.
No one has succeeded to the land shares.
Personal details have not been updated with Maori Trust Office or Maori Land Court.

Try this! This will hopefully help you find out if your sister has any unclaimed land monies. If here name is not on the list, it could be that the land is in trust.

A quick way to find names on the list is:
Press the ctrl key and the F key together.
A little box should appear on screen.
Type the name you are searching for.
Or just type in the surname of the person you are searching.
http://www.tpk.govt.nz/about/structure/mto/mto-unclaimedmonieslist-2007.pdf

Arohamai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 August, 2007 6:03 pm
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

kia ora
I understand "absolute" What must we do next? what happen to the interests or where to from here?
Thought I ask

Kia ora Pono,

I am on the understanding that the interest received from the thousands upon thousands of dollars that have been unclaimed land monies goes to places like, Te Puni Kokiri, Maori Trustee Offices, Maori Land Court Offices.

I think, but am not sure, helps pay for running costs, wages, etc, for these businesses and others like Te Runanga O Ngati Tuwharetoa and the likes.

Not sure how I feel about this intrusion on the interest of unclaimed maori land monies. I do hope it's for the betterment of maoridom as a whole.

Arohamai

Ko Ira tenei

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 August, 2007 6:12 pm
thel OWC
(@thel-owc)

Kia ora Ira
Thankyou very much for your response!
She is not the legal mother of them (they are whangai) However she did leave a will in which she left her land to them.
I was made sole executrix and trustee of her will.
I am starting to feel a little guilty wondering if I was supposed to have done more????:( and I would feel terrible if they have missed out
I will certainly click onto your link Ira and let you know what happens!!
Thankyou from the bottom of my heart!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 7:52 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora ira

Thanks for your response.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 8:32 pm
Ngati OWC
(@ngati-owc)

Kia ora koutou,

Succession is an easy process - I suggest that you contact your nearest Maori Land Court officer and ask to speak with one of their Advisory officers. They will ask you a set of question to determine which succession application is appropriate for you and your whanau - this depends your sisters date of death, whether her Will is probated etc.
They will send you the application for succession and will be able to answer any of your other queries. The filing fee is $61.00.

Alternatively check out their website ie www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz you will be able to read and download information in relation to shares that your sister may hold and other things.

You may or may not have to attend a Court hearing - it depends on whether the Will was probated and whether or not you file an affidavit (if it has been probated)
This is probably sounding very foreign and I don't mean to confuse - but do encourage you to contact the MLC. Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Turangai (may still be open), Wanganui, Wellington and Christchurch offices.

Kia kaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 9:06 pm
thel OWC
(@thel-owc)

Kia ora Ngati
Thankyou for that I will also take your advice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 10:08 pm
thel OWC
(@thel-owc)

Kia ora koutou,
Just a quick word to say thankyou for the advice and that "the wheels are turning"!!!!!!
Kia ora!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 August, 2007 2:35 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora,

Successions.

I always understood that the first born succeeds to the Father and/or the Mother, the day they are born.

And that first born was to include all his/her siblings, if any, in equal shares to the business.

Family Bu$ine$$, is BIG Bu$ine$$.

But that's not how things have turned out, hence, a reason why there are so many lost and/or displaced people. Somebody got greedy, and didn't want to share.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 12:51 pm
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Kia ora,

Successions.

I always understood that the first born succeeds to the Father and/or the Mother, the day they are born.

And that first born was to include all his/her siblings, if any, in equal shares to the business.

Family Bu$ine$$, is BIG Bu$ine$$.

But that's not how things have turned out, hence, a reason why there are so many lost and/or displaced people. Somebody got greedy, and didn't want to share.

Kia ora Gemini G,

Tell me about greedy. I am sad to say that I know of these two kuia's, in their late 60's who tried to make a claim to all land dividends, even the ones their brothers and sisters had left to their children. These two old kuia were wanting, EVERYTHING.

If I ever get like that, shoot me.

It really disappoints me that I know any kuia who would do this to their nieces and nephews. Now, that is greedy to the max...

I am happy to say, it didn't even make it to court. Although these two kuia tried there darndest they didn't get anywhere and bloody good job.

Now days, if you can prove direct linkage/whakapapa to a tupuna who has landshares, you are entitled to go for succession of your turangawaewae.

Hope this helps.

Maa te waa whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 1:30 pm
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

I think, the MLC is majorly corrupt. There is still a lot of missing links, hence the book of unclaimed monies, and along with that, there are a lot of missing lands.

But I'm quite sure, that before the 'partitions' all the families on the land shared in the great mana and the mahi equally. No body had any more or any less than what was required.

I think, Tikanga can verify that thought.

And I think Chiefs of Tribes is what some may be, yet they may not be Chief of the Territory, only the Tribe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 1:49 pm
Share: