Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TAIRAKI/TAURAKI -JOHN  

RSS
pettypies OWC
(@pettypies-owc)

Hello everyone please excuse me as i am very new to this. I am trying to find a long lost brother of my mother in law. His birthmother was Ngapera Reremoana (Ngati Tu Whare Toa) and mostly known as Bella Hennesy and when married became Bella Kotua. She originated from Tirena in the king country and in her younger years she moved away and gave birth to a son named John. Her whanau came and took the son and adopted him out. I believe His adopted name was Tairaki or Tauraki. Any info to the whereabouts of john would be so lovely. It would mean so much to my mother in law to meet him as she has always thought of him. Please help me if you can thankyou.

Posted : 05 January, 2007 4:25 pm
pettypies OWC
(@pettypies-owc)

Pretty please someone help me i have tried websites but have had no luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2007 9:48 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Hi pettypies

I do not know if this will help much but you could try applying for his adoption records. The laws are a lot more relaxed these days especially for people seeking their own birth parents who are now adults. A friend of mine recently received her adoption records after applying for them only to find out we were distant relatives. haha. Who knows you too may have similar luck although you may need your mum inlaws support and maybe even her signature on the application since she is the closest blood relative. She is still alive right?

There is a good chance John (Tauraki) knows nothing of his real family. It is even possible that his name has changed since then. People that may know him now could be reading this page and not even know that it is him that you are looking for. But dont give up. If it were me I would like to think my real family would be trying to find me.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2007 10:28 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Its me again! hehe

I did a bit of snooping and found this bit of information. Hopefully it will help. It is from the Internal Affairs Website Adoption page.

(Internal Affairs)

When a person has been legally adopted, the birth certificate that we normally issue is the post-adoptive birth certificate, showing the details of the adoptive parents.

If you are born in New Zealand and adopted in New Zealand, you may wish to apply for a copy of your original, pre-adoptive birth certificate, showing the details of your birth before you were adopted.

Under New Zealand law, you can do this once you turn 20, by writing to Births, Deaths and Marriages. You will need to supply the following each and every time you make an application for your pre-adoptive birth certificate:

Your full name (post-adoptive)
Your place of birth
Your date of birth
The full name(s) of your adoptive parent(s)
Your postal address, email address and telephone number
Your original signature (not a photocopy, fax or electronic signature)
Payment for the certificate of NZ$15.00 (includes postage anywhere in the world)
The name of a counsellor approved by the Minister of Social Welfare if you are living in New Zealand. Please contact the Department of Child, Youth and Family Services (www.cyf.govt.nz) for the list of names
If you live in New Zealand and details of one or both of your birth parents appear on the original birth certificate, New Zealand law requires that you choose a counsellor that has been approved by the Minister of Social Welfare and tell the Registrar-General who you have chosen. The Registrar-General will then send your birth certificate to that counsellor. The counsellor will contact you and arrange for you to receive the birth certificate.

The role of the counsellor is to give you information, assistance and support. The counsellor cannot withhold information you are legally entitled to, but may be able to give you helpful advice about how to search for and contact your birth parent(s).

If you live outside New Zealand, your pre-adoptive birth certificate will be sent to you with a note giving the address of the Chief Executive of the Department of Child, Youth and Family Services, to contact if you have any questions.

Vetoes
Access to information on pre-adoptive birth registrations can be restricted by a veto in certain circumstances:

For adoptions before 1 March 1986:

If you are adopted and you do not wish to have your birth parents contact you, once you are 19 years old, you can write a signed letter to the Registrar-General at Births, Deaths and Marriages stating that you do not want information which would identify you to be released. You must indicate to the Registrar-General whether or not you desire counselling.

If you are a birth parent of a child you may write a signed letter to the Registrar-General at Births, Deaths and Marriages to prevent the release of information about yourself contained in the child's original birth registration. You must indicate to the Registrar-General whether or not you desire counselling.

For adoptions on or after 1 March 1986:
Birth parents of a child adopted may not place a veto on information.
A veto remains in place for 10 years from the date it was recorded and, can be removed or a new veto may be put in place for an additional 10 years at any time. If an existing veto is about to expire and you would like it to continue then please write a signed letter to the Register-General at Births, Deaths and Marriages before the current veto expires.

For more information on vetoes, please contact Births, Deaths and Marriages, or:

Adoption Information and Services Unit
The Department of Child, Youth and Family Services
Private Bag 6901
Marion Square
Wellington
Phone: (04) 917-1155
Fax: (04) 918-0029
www.cyf.govt.nz

(Again good luck)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2007 10:43 am
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Matahuru,

Wow! Excellent mahi.

BDM's Certified copy of a Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Ceremony Certificates now cost $26.00 each. Internal Affairs put their fees up.

I was wondering, as I noticed this information on the "Home" Whakapapa research guide, that it was cheaper to get a (photocopy) rather than the actual certified copy of the certificate/s.

Has any member followed this advice?

Edited by - Retimana on Jan 09 2007 11:17:51 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2007 11:16 am
pettypies OWC
(@pettypies-owc)

wow thanks so much for your help and support it means a great deal. I do know that he does know about his birth family and was angry about being adopted. I would love to find him and mend that bridge and let him and his brothers and sisters get to know each other. I think it will be hard to trace that adoption cert though as he was taken from his mum by her whanau and then adopted out so we know nothing of her whanau so will be hard but will try thankyou so much again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2007 9:21 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

Try the public libruary search in maori rolls.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2007 11:21 am
pettypies OWC
(@pettypies-owc)

Is that accesible on the internet as i am in australia. I have since learnt that he once was a manager in hostels in wellington and may have been in the army at some stage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2007 3:05 pm
pettypies OWC
(@pettypies-owc)

Hi everyone Im still Searching. Can anyone tell me if they know this man. I think he is now in australia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2007 1:49 pm
argus OWC
(@argus-owc)

quote:

Hello everyone please excuse me as i am very new to this. I am trying to find a long lost brother of my mother in law. His birthmother was Ngapera Reremoana (Ngati Tu Whare Toa) and mostly known as Bella Hennesy and when married became Bella Kotua. She originated from Tirena in the king country and in her younger years she moved away and gave birth to a son named John. Her whanau came and took the son and adopted him out. I believe His adopted name was Tairaki or Tauraki. Any info to the whereabouts of john would be so lovely. It would mean so much to my mother in law to meet him as she has always thought of him. Please help me if you can thankyou.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2008 8:34 am
argus OWC
(@argus-owc)

Hi, I know the person your looking for but how to contact him is very difficult as john tends to move around lot. I can give you a brief history on him though. If you revisit this old posting just email and i will have a chat to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2008 8:41 am
Share: