Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

TARAWHITI, Henare  

hone OWC
(@hone-owc)

Tena Koutou.

I am searching for the descendants of Henare Tarawhiti,also known as 'Tarawhiti' he was from Waikato and Taranaki, his wife's name was Ngawai from Parewanui,of the Ngati Apa tribe.She died in Otaki.
Henare lived at Otakeho on Taikatu road.He was born in Taupiri 1826 and died on 3rd November 1903. I am hoping someone might have some information or whakapapa about this Tupuna, one of his son's was Karipa Tarawhiti from Kauangaroa.His oldest son was Nuku Tarawhiti from Taranaki.His only daughter Ruahau married Warena Hunia from Ngati Apa as well.
Henare Tarawhiti was linked to the Tarawhiti whanau from Huntly.
If someone can extend on to this I would be very happy, Pai Marire !

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:26:48 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2004 11:26 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora

While surfing the net I came across this url that may help
http://www.onegreatfamily.com/genealogy/Tarawhiti.html

I also did a search for Tarawhiti in http://www.whitepages.co.nz and there were 14 listings, so maybe some of those people may be able to help you too.

And lastly I did a search in http://www.familysearch.org and there are a few in there as well, but I must warn you to be careful of info in that site as some it can be plain wrong! I say that because my father is listed in there as well as his brothers and sisters, but they have duplicate records - one set has them born in the 1900's and one set of records have them born in the 1800's - same days and months just a 100 years difference! Also, be aware that there can be spelling anomolies in that site as well

Good Luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 2:30 am
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Hone,
My husband's grandmother was a Tarawhiti from Huntly her name was Te Oke. She had 3 brother's Matena born 1877, Tahau Ariki born 1884 and Hokio born 1886.
Have sent you a message with my husband's email address if you want further information.
Karen Berryman
In regards to the familysearch.org information being incorrect it is quite true. People posting information on that site sometimes have to estimate the date of birth because no written records are available for Maori born prior to 1911 because it was not compulsory to register births in New Zealand before then. Then the duplication of records comes about because another generation of family members comes along or even an extended family member comes along and then that person registers the same information but with their own estimation of the dates of birth. And so the duplication goes on. But the owners of the site are in the process of digitalizing all records so this duplication of records can not happen. It will be a long process involving over 1 million volunteers but we will get there. In the meantime we just have to deal with the errors as best we can. The more we talk and interact with whanau members the less likely this will occur but unfortunately we are human and these things happen. Possibly when we see an error in date information we need to post it along with a reference to the documented evidence i.e. Birth certificat No. Death Notice No. etc, perhaps that will help.
Karen Berryman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2005 3:59 pm

Working

Please Login or Register