Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TATE  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

ARE THERE ANY TATE'S WHO COULD HELP ME FIND MY GRANDMOTHERS FAMILY.

Posted : 05 November, 2007 2:32 am
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

I am a Tate from Northland Ngapuhi Aotearoa new zealand

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2008 11:59 am
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

quote:

I am a Tate from Northland Ngapuhi Aotearoa new zealand

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2008 9:06 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hi! Moks, my grandmother was Graces Reta Tate,also k/a Reta Grace. Father was Henry Thomas Clare, she was born Waitara,1880. This is as much as i can find out, hope it is correct.
Dalmorton

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 January, 2008 9:10 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hi! Moks,
Have been told that Tate was probably my grandmothers mothers maiden name. My fathers death certificate names her as Grace Clare, she also used the name Homa. Can you shed some light on the Tate side for me please. Glenda

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 January, 2008 6:13 pm
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Hello dalmorton
Tate's from Northland have only a short life span here in Aotearoa it seems they can only be traced back from five generations. There has been numerous research by my uncle as to how they got here. There is no shipping records dating back that shows them being a passenger unless one was on a whaling ship. Currently I do not have the whakapapa on hand but I will return tomorow and write in what I can.
My brother and I have researched further, and we have found tate's that originate from Scotland/Ireland they have their own shield of arms. And if you take into account the migration that occurred it makes sense that there would be no record. Tate's also have a trait, green/blue eyes, fair to olive skin and near brown blond hair are common amongst us.
I will share what I can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 10:00 am
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Note: It's interesting to note that she was born in Waitara she was your great grandmother and if the dates are correct during that period Europeans were arriving down that area, are you saying that your great grandmother's father was a Clare? which would make him your great great grandfather?
The only reason I asked is because it would fit the period where Europeans were migrating to that region
where they would marry a Maori woman otherwise they weren't able to gain any land to live off. Don't want to confuse you but sometimes you need to go back to the source in order to come forward
The Graces are traceable and believe it or not Maori would flip their names around as you have found. Which makes it harder for us to find.
There are Taits spelt different in Rotorua and Tate's that have been in the Coromandel so I have found. You may be the key to how they got here is there no-one that can give you the stories of them.
It is more prominent to the mid-lower southern region of the north island than Ngapuhi north

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 10:22 am
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hi! Moks, Grace Reta Tate was my father's mother, so my grandmother. Her husband Henry( Harry) was Australian. There is record at the Maori Lands Court of a Henry still owning land from 1903, the year they were married which is in the hands of trustees. Unfortunatly i don't have enough info. re my whakapapa to find out if it is his land. My father died when i was 23 and i don't recall him talking a lot about his family, my mother has also died so have no way of asking ? I have olive skin and brown eyes like my father, one of my sons has thrown very much to the Maori, dark skin and eyes and big build.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 9:46 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

HELLO mOKS,

WILL BE IN NEW ZEALAND NORTH ISLAND, HOPEFULLY IN APRIL. HAVE NZ CITIZENSHIP, WOULD LOVE TO TRACE FAMILY, HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS.YOU MENTIONED THAT THE GRACE FAMILY WAS TRACEABLE, DID POST AN ENQUIRY BUT NO REPLY AS YET. GREETINGS GLENDA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 9:55 pm
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Yes the Maori land courts can be difficult if your not sure what to ask, they store Maori land court minutes on micro film now. So here is a few tips to refine your search:
Maori land courts used to travel around back in the day they never centralised in a building Maori would have to travel to the nearest Maori court hearing for their case into other districts which meant that the information would be stored in that area.
In the Maori Land court minutes whakapapa and stories were told and recorded one just has to access the minutes and read over them, which can be hard as they were hand written.
You can find who gifted the land on and the original names. If you are looking on computer it will not have such details of the stories.
As long as you have the land block the area you can enter the libaries that hold the micro film
It is the fastest way that I have found in search for whakapapa. It just requires time.
1903 it was required you must prove your whakapapa to land, trace when your father was gifted the land and from whom did he recieve it in there you will find whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2008 4:33 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hi! Moks, it is very difficult to do much from Oz.
I am taking two of my grandchildren over to NZ hopefully in April, really won't have much time to do research, but will see.
Do you think there could be a connection with your Tate line? Glenda

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2008 4:48 pm
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Yes by the way I have been looking through the site and Shilocat whakapapa back to the Graces I have left a message no harm asking If we can track where Graces came from.
As for the Tate line I cannot find but the orignal Tate Whanau had many brothers if you want I can look into the micro film as I live in Auckland and there is one near by the thing sharing the infor required to search records I leave that for you to decide. email is gstock@slingshot.co.nz Wendy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2008 4:55 pm
atate OWC
(@atate-owc)

Hi all Alby here...

My mother is Shirley Tate who married Patrick Tetai from Pangaru Hokianga.
My mother's father is Thomas Tate who married Ngapera Tipene from Pangaru Hokianga.
Thomas Tate father is Joseph Tate who married Sarah Eru Paparoa from Motuti Hokianga
Joseph Tate father is Willaim Tate who married Jane Netterville. Joseph and Jane migrated to Austraila and then headout to New Zealand by boat.
i hope to hear from you.

Edited by - atate on Feb 06 2008 7:03:45 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2008 6:49 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hi! Thank you for your info: my grandmother was Grace Reta Tate. also used the names, Clare and Homa? She was born Waitara 1880, married Thames 25/01/03,this is what is recorded on my fathers birth certificate but her death cert; says married Auckland. My father was born Paeroa 1/012/03.
My grandmothers father was Henry Thomas Clare.
My information is sketchy. They came to Oz circa 1903-06 and returned to NZ for a period of time

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2008 6:30 pm
dalmorton
(@dalmorton)

Hope to hear back from you Alby & Whanau, Glenda

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 February, 2008 6:22 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: