Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Hakota mai tawhiti  

RSS
allikat1 OWC
(@allikat1-owc)

Kia Ora koutou, it is I once again, Allister Walker. In another post I talked about my links to Te Whanau a Ruataupare, which is on the Walker side. Speaking of Walkers, there are a number of whanau around the motu who have the same name as me. Te Araroa, Ruatoria, Gisborne, Wairoa, Tai Tokerau, Wanganui, Coromandel are just some of the places where I have heard of other Walkers. I guess I can't say for sure which ones are and aren't related to me, but for the record my tipuna was an Englishman and all his and his Uncle Isaac's descendants (of which there are quite a lot) are the Walker's from which I descend at ant rate.

Anyhow, getting back to the kaupapa, Te Hakota mai tawhiti was my great great grandfather and his is an interesting story in itself. Now, the various Hakota blocks are located between Motunui (Little Awanui) and the Waiorore stream, straddling either side of State Highway 35 between Omaio an Te Kaha.

I always thought the land blocks were named after my tipuna, but I uncovered some Maori Land Court at the Waikato University library which gave me the real story. Another tipuna, Ngahautorua, the maternal grandfather of Te Hakota was killed there by the Ngapuhi and Te Hakota was duly named after this event.

Now for the full name, Te Hakota mai tawhiti- literally the Hakota from far away. Te Hakota was born in the Karakatuwhero valley, near Te Araroa. Now here is where my knowledge of this side ends; This is what whakapapa I have for Te Hakota

Porourangi
Hau
Tuere
Rongomaikarae
Whatiuaroa
Uekaiahu
Tamakoro
Tamanuhiri
Te Amorakau
Tukapiti
Kuriangoa
Kapotihi
Te Uruhonea
Te Hakota

Now, can anyone tell me which hapu I belong to on the strength of this whakapapa? my grandmother was a shareholder in Tapatu Block, which is up the back of the Awatere awa. some other whanau who have interests in this block are Puketapu, Evans Gerrard, Reihana, Morice and Keelan.

I have a copy of Bob McConnell's book He Taonga Ano, and there is a story in there called Makahuri's generosity about Te Whanau a Hinerupe nd how some of the people at Tikitiki call themselves Whanau a Hinerupe. I was wondering about Te Uruhonea who was mentioned in the story. He was a tohunga taa moko and was insulted by the Waiapu whanau, who claimed that his head was full of kutu! I am wondering if this was the same Uruhonea that was my great-great-great grandfather.

When my father passed away in 2005, his tangihanga was held at Tukaki marae in Te Kaha and on the poroporoaki night, a story was relayed by one of the kaumatua on the origin of Dad's name which was totally wrong. Having the final say, I did my best to tell the correct story, not to belittle or insult the kaumatua, but so my whanau would get to know where their uncle got his name from as the majority did not know.

The mother of Te Hakota was Nohoparae, who was descended from Te Houkamau and Te Rangipuanga, a son of Te Ehutu and has been described in the Maori land court books as "the great fighting chief of Whanau a Ehutu"

Which brings me to my next quandry. The Te Houkamau in my whakapapa was a mokopuna of Te Ehutu and my Haweti whanau always told us that we were related to the Houkamau whanau from Te Araroa & Hicks Bay. I am not sure if this is the same tipuna where the name stems from or is it just coincidence. If anyone knows about the Houkamau whanau, could they get in touch with me?

Again, if anyone could shed a bit of light on the story I have just outlined, I would be eternally grateful. I also have quite a bit of Te Whanau a Apanui and Ngati Porou whakapapa and would be willing to help others where I can.

Cheers
Al

Posted : 07 March, 2007 10:07 pm
Share: