Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

TE KANAWA:  

Page 1 / 3 Next
jtek OWC
(@jtek-owc)

Kia Ora whanau from all over! As life would have it, I have ended up being the "Prodigal Son" of my whanau, through no falt of anyones. It is at this time in my life, after years of yearning to be with my family, that I can no longer hold back (mainly through fear) from my quest to find my father, Norman Tumahoe Te Kanawa.
I new him only in the first few years in my life and have greatly missed him and the rest of my whanau in the King Counrty. I have also been deeply involved in constructing my Whakapapa, but I'am at a dead end, because I'm not at "Home", I don't have the honour of learning the history from my kaumatua's. So in a way I'am sending out an earnest appeal to anyone who might be able to help me find my father or any information about my grandfather or great grandfather, Kumara Wainui Te Kanawa; Tutunui Te Kanawa, whose names I mention with TOTAL RESPECT.
To this it serves a greater purpose, because I am unable to teach my three children about who they are and where they come from, with respect to their whakapapa, on a spiritual and knowledgeable level, which I believe will have an impact on their well-being in the future.
Thank You for your time and look forward to hearing from anyone.

Justin Wainui Te Kanawa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2005 10:56 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Kia ora Justin please email me as I have some information for you. I am one of the whanau from Te Korapatu and the names you have mentioned are in my whakapapa. Ka korero ano taua a te waa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 May, 2005 12:04 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

My whakapapa is connected to the Te Kanawa whanau.I know the name Tutunui Te Kanawa.

Edited by - wyllie on May 24 2005 12:47:13 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 May, 2005 12:46 am
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

kia ora, Ae your grandmother is in my whakapapa. Your grandmothers grandfather is Te Ririorangawhenua, he is a brother to my natural greatgrandmother. Unfortunately I am away from home and I am unable to respond direct to you. Yes she is a Ngarotata. She had a lot of bros and sisters.Yes you do have Uekaha-Ruapuha links. Your dad's hapu is also Ngati Peehi and Ngati Te Kanawa. He also is linked to Ngati Hari, however again I will send you more when I return home. Aa te waa ka korero ano taua.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2005 7:52 am
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

We're connected through Diggeress Te Kanawa the daughter of Rangamaria Hetet.
If you require any further info my email is catu@westnet.com.au

Edited by - wyllie on May 28 2005 4:19:13 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2005 4:18 pm
huck OWC
(@huck-owc)

Kia ora, I know an Emily Te Kanawa living in Aria (King Country), not sure if you guys are whanau but if you would like a contact number for her let me know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2005 1:47 pm
jwilliams OWC
(@jwilliams-owc)

Hello all. I too am looking for information about my ancestor Te Kanawa. He was a signatory of the Treaty (at Kawhia) and a confederate of Te Wherowhero, the first Maori King. All the genealogies that I have seen that mention Te Kanawa (from the Tainui books by Pei te Huruniu Jones and George Kelly) seem to be about a different person by the same name.

You can see the information that I have here:

http://annielaurie.50webs.com/database/ppl/7/U/7US4M2NACCC1GE434S.html

But I am pretty sure it is mostly wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if we can sort out this mess, I will be happy to add other descendants of Te Kanawa to that web site.

Thanks in advance,

John

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2006 7:30 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Kia ora ra koutou katoa Sir JWilliams well I'll add to the mess LOL, there were two Te Kanawas, One was Te Kanawa Whero, and the other was Te Kanawa Pango about the 1800s

Then there was a Tuhoro Te Kanawa who I believe was the signatory to the treaty signing at Kawhia and a confederate of King Potatau 1850s to 80s.
The there was the Tupuna Te Kanawa of Ngati Te Kanawa about the 1600s who lived in Hangatiki.

In the middle of Otorohanga are carvings of the eight (8) Chiefs who sat with Potatau at Haurua Pa, Haurua Pa stood where the Waitomo Golf links is now. Also there is a stone plaque at the rest area above the marae Rere aa manu with the names of these same 8 chiefs. 1850s to 80s

Ngati Te Kanawa, Ngati Peehi, Ngati Kinohaku and Ngati Huiao (1400 to 1600) are the four main Iwi of
Ngati Maniapoto whaanui katoa or Ngati Maniapoto confederation, these Iwi became a confederation in the 1850s to 80s, there is no Ngati Maniapoto Iwi as such, but there is an Ngati Rora Hapu. Confused LOL.

Ngati Te Kanawa, Ngati Peehi, Ngati Kinohaku and Ngati Huiao are a confederation of Iwi.
All four Iwi belong to Te Kauae marae in Hangatiki which is the oldest Ngati Maniapoto Marae.
Tokaanui a noho marae in Te Kuiti was carved in the 1870s and was a gift from Te Kooti and these Iwi are 10 to 12 generations older than that, and Te Kauae marae is even a lot older than them.

Ue Kaha and Ruapuhaa are direct descendents and Hapu to Te Kanawa of Ngati Te Kanawa and Ngati Te Kanawa is a Hapu of Ngati Kinohaku. Te Kanawa was a warlord of Maniapoto; he settled disputes with a Taiaha in Tainui or out side Tainui. Some of these disputes were boundary disputes, hence the Ngati Hari connection. The Boundary line between Tu Wharetoa and Maniapoto and the marae Kaitepeka by Taumaranui. Te Kanawa is an Amo on their Tupuna Whare.

Peehi, Te Kanawa, Kinohaku are also at Korapatu marae, and the same 3 Iwi are at Marakopa Marae on the west coast. There are many other marae who have links to these four Iwi, hence the Confederation of Ngati Maniapoto Whaanui through out Te Rohe Potae.

When Potatau took up the mana of Kingitanga at Haurua Pa, he was given the blue blood line whakapapa of Tainui, which connected him to the other six main waka. This Blood line whakapapa was an all male line direct back to Hoturoa. The Blood line whakapapa of Tainui were the four Iwi mentioned above and the eight (8) paramount chiefs were the direct descendants to those four Iwi. The last Whakapapa page in the Book Tainui shows this link from Potatau to the six waka and their Tainui connection. Nga Tohu O Tainui is a book of Whakapapa the same links are in here:

Tuhoro Te Kanawa is the only descendant that has the blood line links to the Te Kanawa name of the Tupuna Te Kanawa and of Ngati Te Kanawa.
Tuhoro Te Kanawa was one of the paramount chiefs of Ngati Maniapoto confederation and Ngati Kinohaku.

The families, who carry the name Te Kanawa today, do not have direct blue blood line whakapapa to the Tupuna Te Kanawa of Ngati Te Kanawa.
The families, who carry the name Te Kanawa today whakapapa, back to Te Kanawa Whero or Te Kanawa Pango.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 February, 2006 2:17 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Tainui. Line
Hoturoa
Hotuope
Hotumatapu
Motai
Ue
Raka
Kakati
Tawhao(m)----1/2 brothers---Tuhiaanga(m)
Turongo ===Mahinarangi
Raukawa
Rereahu (Ngaati) Huiao
Maniapoto----sisiter---Kinohaku=Tu-iri-rangi
Te Kawairirangi I
Rungaterangi
Uruhina
Te Kawairirangi II
(Ngaati) Te Kanawa ====Waikohika
Parengaope
Rangimahora
Te Kahurangi
Te Rauangaanga
Potatau Tawhiao
Mahuta
Te Rata
Koroki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 February, 2006 2:49 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

TUTAWHIAO]
No. 16 (October 1956) Te Ao Hou (pg 3)
HAERE KI O KOUTOU
TIPUNA
A large tangi was held recently at Turangawaewae Pa, Ngaruawahia, for Tutawhiao, a well-known Ngati Maniapoto chief, who was closely connected with the family of Koroki. Tutawhiao, who was more than 80 years old, resided in recent years at Ngaruawahia with Koroki.
Tutawhiao was the grandson of Tuhoro, who was one of the three leading Ngati Maniapoto chiefs with whom Potatau the first Maori King, consulted before accepting that office almost a century ago. Poihaere, the mother of Tutawhiao, subsequently became one of the younger wives of King Tawhiao (the second Maori King).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 1:29 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Tainui. Line
Hoturoa
Hotuope
Hotumatapu
Motai
Ue
Raka
Kakati
Tawhao(m)----1/2 brothers---Tuhiaanga(m)
Turongo ===Mahinarangi
Raukawa
Rereahu (Ngaati) Huiao
Maniapoto----sisiter---Kinohaku=Tu-iri-rangi
Te Kawairirangi I
Rungaterangi
Uruhina
Te Kawairirangi II
(Ngaati) Te Kanawa ====Waikohika
Parengaope
Rangimahora
Te Kahurangi
Te Rauangaanga
Potatau Tawhiao
Mahuta
Te Rata
Koroki.

Hope you can help.
Would you know infomation about parengaope's
sibbling, parents, marriage?
Thank-you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 8:46 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

happy to help Pono, I 'll look through some old research papers, kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 February, 2006 11:53 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora hotutaua

Pls PM for any info searching parengaope!
kia ora
[/quote]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2006 1:15 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

I found two ( Parenga-ope) One was the daughter of Te Kanawa and Waikohika and the other Parenga-ope who married Te Rauangaanga who were the perants to the first maori King,Potaatau Te WHerowhero. So which one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2006 8:30 am
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Ko Maniapoto
Ko Te Kanawa=Waikohika (f)
A raua tamariki
Ko PARE-NGAA-OPE 1st (f) #-------Ko Tira-manuhiri(f)

Ko Pare-ngaa-ope(f) # = Ko Te Aho-o-te rangi(m)
A raua tamariki
Ko Te Whakapakinga
Ko RANGIMAHORA#
Ko Ranga Whenua
Ko Waitarere

Ko Te RANGIMAHORA # = Ko Te Wawahanga
A raua tamaiti
Ko Te Kahurangi #

Ko TE KAHURANGI # = Ko Te Tuata
A raua tamaiti
Ko Te Rau-angaa-angaa

Ko TE RAU-ANGAA-ANGAA = Pare-ngaa-ope 2nd