Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE NAIHI E WAI, maata  

RSS
daddysgirl OWC
(@daddysgirl-owc)

Kia Ora, I am hoping someone out there has heard the name of my grandfathers grandmother. Maata Te Naihi E Wai also known as Te Wai. She was born around 1815 maybe in the Tory Chanel and died June 1877 at Oyster Bay, Tory Channel.Maata was from the Puketapu people of Atiawa. She married James Heberley (Worser)who was a sea captain and whaler. Their daughter Maryannes second husband was hung in Picton in 1877.One of Maatas sons was Jacob Heberley(Heperi) a carver.
She spent most of her married life in Queen Charlotte sounds.Her grandaughter was Mihi Korama Woodgate who married Hapi Tutua Puketapu and theie son was Ihaia Porutu Puketapu a Te Ati Awa leader.
Maata (Te Wai) was living at TeAwaiti when she met her husband. She had whanau at Pipitea (wellington) and Waikanae as well as in settlements in the Marlborough sounds. I am hoping to know who her matua were. Thankyou for taking the time to read this. Lynette(Shilo)

Edited by - daddysgirl on Aug 14 2005 3:59:02 PM

Posted : 13 August, 2005 10:10 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

You need to visit Otaki, and Hawkes Bay. Paora Te Naihi is the connection to Maata, others are Whiu Te Owai Te Naihi and Rora Te Naihi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2005 10:32 pm
daddysgirl OWC
(@daddysgirl-owc)

Thankyou Aubry
I hope to return home again next year.I now have somewhere to go.A wee step closer. Eternaly greatfull.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 10:22 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Try to obtain a book called Te Tau Ihu O Te Waka.
( A history of Maori of Nelson and Marlborough) by Hilary And John Mitchell.Email hjmitch@xtra.co.nz, there is a photo of James Heberley and Maata Te Naihi E Wai in it if you give me your email address i will send the photo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 5:43 am
cadifan liked
Gazbo OWC
(@gazbo-owc)

My grandmother was the daughter of John son of Te Wai. I have history and photos if you wish to contact directly i will be pleased to assist you. My email is gaztech@free.net.nz

Edited by - Gazbo on Jan 20 2007 06:29:12 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 December, 2006 7:42 am
Searching
(@searching)

Hi I have just been finding out about James and Maata. Such interesting history. What a story. 

My Grandmother was Tere Huia, her father was Ernest Parfitt. Ernest Parfit parents were Joseph Parfitt and Martha Parfitt nee Herberly.  Martha's parents were 

John Herberly and Charlotte Herberly nee Hockey. John was I believe the eldest son second child of James and Maata Te Naihi E Wai.  Daughter of Aperahama Manukonga and Manupionga Manukonga.

There is a autobiography apparently at the Auckland War Museum that James Wrote. His obituary-of-james-heberley-picton-1899-50762.html.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 September, 2018 8:36 am
Searching
(@searching)

Hello my name is Heather, Martha Parfitt is by Great Great Grandmother. Ernest Parfitt is my Grandmothers ( Tere Huia) father. My mother is Lois Joy.Would be great to know who you are and yes would love any pictures you have. Thanks Heather Wavish sgcprotection@gmail.com. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 September, 2018 8:43 am
cadifan
(@cadifan)

@daddysgirl-owc

Hi,

Maata Te Wai Nahi Te Owai was born in June in 1808 and died on June 25 1877. She and James 'Worser' Heberley are also my ancestors. 

Maata's parents were Premier Chief Aperahama Manukonga & Manupoinga (Matakiau) Te Owai. 

Manupoinga (Matakiau) Te Owai became a captive slave of another tribe and died in 1812 at 32 years of age.

My line goes: James & Maata - Son James - daughter Sarah - daughter Agnes - daughter Elsie - daughter Colleen - son David (me)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2019 1:48 am
Keenan liked
Share: