Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

THOMPSON OR TAMIHANA  

RSS
LorraineThompson OWC
(@lorrainethompson-owc)

I'm a young maori who has been left in the dark. Now my surname Thompson comes from my koro but when he passed away I saw on his grave that he was a Tamihana. I do not know his parents or where they come from but he was buried in Te Hapua, but what I really want to know is where my whanau really comes from because last time I checked (years ago), my koro is the only one in his urupaa with his surname. Gets me all confused, somebody please help.

Posted : 21 March, 2007 9:38 am
Ira OWC
(@ira-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

I'm a young maori who has been left in the dark. Now my surname Thompson comes from my koro but when he passed away I saw on his grave that he was a Tamihana. I do not know his parents or where they come from but he was buried in Te Hapua, but what I really want to know is where my whanau really comes from because last time I checked (years ago), my koro is the only one in his urupaa with his surname. Gets me all confused, somebody please help.

Kia ora Lorraine,

Tamihana is the maori name for Thompson.
What's your Koro's name, or some of the names [if you know] that he could have used.

Arohamai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2007 4:33 pm
rangiora OWC
(@rangiora-owc)

Kia ora There are some Tamihana's from Ahikiwi north of Dargaville and some Thompson's from Arapaoa south of Dargaville

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 May, 2007 10:09 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

my grandmothers name was also thompson and her dad was known as william aubrey thompson or wiremu tamihana. Its a tough one because the names thompson and tamihana can be found in many different regions, and are often unrelated to one another. IS your whanau from up north, or was the name actually from somewhere else. I think you need to give a little more information if that is possible to allow others to help you better
kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 May, 2007 9:50 am
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

The Tamihana whanau are numerous in the Ngati Raukawa ki Te Tonga rohe. Tamihana lived in Te Rauparaha's time & was instrumental in helping to gather signatories for the Treaty of Waitangi. The Tamihana's belong to Ngati Huia , the tribe that were termed Te Rauparaha's Foot-Soldiers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 May, 2007 2:41 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

My line are from Kaiaua and the Thompson name is very strong in that area.That's another avenue to look into maybe.

Edited by - wyllie on May 20 2007 10:17:55 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2007 10:16 pm
artimoti OWC
(@artimoti-owc)

If he was an aportoro from manurewa and your dad is James,well yip i have info for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 May, 2007 2:55 am
Sugababie OWC
(@sugababie-owc)

My father in law is a Tamihana from Ngatiwai up north. I noticed alot of his family have either Tamihana or Thompson. They're such a large family they extend all over the place. His name is Brownie Tamihana son of Wiremu and Miria Tamihana aka Thompson.
Hope it helps a little.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 March, 2008 11:21 pm
arawanui OWC
(@arawanui-owc)

Kia ora, my whanau are the Thompsons from Kaiaua. My papa's ingoa is Tukere Te Aho Thompson and he married Kahupeka Te Waero. They had many children, my uncles Brian and Waero lived on our whanau farm up on the hill just before Whakatiwai. My mum, there sister, whangai'd me from her nephew Mano, who is Aunty Ringa's son.

There is a possibility that papa Tukere is connected to Te Arawa as well, but dont quote me 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2008 2:06 am
Share: