Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Try doing this to find whakapapa  

RSS
iraboyd@hotmail.com OWC
(@iraboydhotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora whanau,
Just found out something different, could be old to a lot of you but it’s new to me:

When searching for whanau try this:

1.. In the google/yahoo search box type in the name of the whanau you are inquiring about, for example, 'Boyd whanau'.
2.. then click ‘go’.
3.. If nothing is found then type in your surname, eg, 'Boyd' (without the whanau), if still nothing, try your first name.
If still nothing whanau then you a A L I E N .... e.t. go home ....

What will happen is that all files on the web that have the name, for example: ‘Boyd’, either first or surname, will be displayed. Photographers with the first or last name being ‘Boyd’. History on the Boyd clan. Battleship that was named ‘Boyd’, Whanau who have their own website, even criminal elements with the first or last name with 'Boyd'will show up.

It's interesting because it also gives you an idea of what that whanau is like. For example just looked up Christie whanau and most of their tupuna's time was spent on educating our tamariki ma. Hmmm. interesting. So enjoy your search whanau.

Could also be good for whakapapa research.

When you've had a look, post me, let me know what u think.

Arohamai whanau.

Edited by - iraboyd@hotmail.com on Dec 17 2006 1:09:48 PM

Posted : 17 December, 2006 12:09 pm
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Ira,

I did that search and found myself in the USA !!!

How unbecoming is that?

Definitely not a good look!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2006 1:29 pm
iraboyd@hotmail.com OWC
(@iraboydhotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Kia Ora Ira,

I did that search and found myself in the USA !!!

How unbecoming is that?

Definitely not a good look!

Kia ora Retimana,
Sorry you disapprove of my posting.

Did a search on 'retimana whanau' and all the websites that have 'retimana and whanau' came up even postings that are on maori.org regarding 'retimana'..I just find it interesting reading.
Am not sure how you ended up in USA...
Thanks for your response.
Noho ora mai,
Ko Ira tenei.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2006 2:11 pm
Joan Davis OWC
(@joan-davis-owc)

HI Ira,
Just a note to say thanks for this info. I found it all very interesting. Just spent over an hour looking at all sorts and found so many other avenues to look at. I am trying to help my children research their whakapapa. One thing I never thought of but came up using your name(goggle search) was the28th Maori Battlion, which my father in law was in. So a very big thank you from me and my kids
Cheers Joan

Edited by - Joan Davis on Dec 18 2006 3:41:36 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 3:36 pm
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Ira,

Regarding your post:

quote:

Kia Ora Retimana,
Sorry you disapprove of my posting!"

Kare, I don't disapprove of your post. Quite the contrary. I think that your postings are extremely helpful to so many, who find the functions and workings of Te kooti Whenua Maori, a total mystery.

Just like I did, until I took time out and went to work there, for 18 months, to find out what makes it tick.

Sure I learnt a lot, along with some things I didn't need to know but that's what Life and Learning is about, ain't it?

Then after all that learning, you find out that the more you know, just exactly how little you do know."

PS: As 4 me being in the USA, it was a person with the same name. Was surpised 'tis all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2007 12:06 pm
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Kia ora,yeap did it your way,and choice,straight away i got a hit!A whanaunga was looking for her Koro from my whanau,got in touch with her and hope she replies.How the other one got the U.S.A.,kare au mohio!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 1:31 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Kā pai e ira, i tautoko you for trying to awhi. I just wanna add to ira's suggestion people, be sure to click nz at the end on Google so it limits its search to nz & not the whole wide world. I've been researching whakapapa too over the years & it isnt easy. Its best to attend whakapapa wānanga in your hapū area if you can. I know its difficult for some of our people who have lost touch or live in the city but it can be done. Learn a karakia ki te Atua cause that is a big help & will be an important part of the journey, kia kaha kia māia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2007 9:38 am
Share: