Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TUAWA /MOEKE  

RSS
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Can anyone tell me the history behind the name change in this whanau.
Around 1800 the surname appears to be Tuawa with Moeke being introduced as a second name for the next generations son,Iria Moeke Tuawa who married Ariha Kaurape.
From then on the surname Tuawa appears to have been replaced with Moeke
Im wondering if the whole whanau changed their surname or if it was just this branch, and of course the question arises as to why? that occurred -Im sure there must be a story behind it!

Edited by - markonijoy on Aug 05 2005 01:10:28 AM

Posted : 05 June, 2005 12:04 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe markonijoy,

This is probably because of the Maori Naming Conventions of the 1800's - I see that you have already read that article at the Whakapapa Club

Probably the only way to find if it was one branch or the whole whanau would be tgo try and trace another branch!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2005 4:34 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Thanks Poutokomanawa for the reply.
I think its only one branch which took this name it doesnt appear to have been from earlier and I understand there is a story relating to the change of name and thought someone may know of it

Edited by - markonijoy on Sep 25 2005 03:45:15 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2005 6:19 pm
kiwiflygurl OWC
(@kiwiflygurl-owc)

Okay Mark I don't know if this would help you but I do know of a Moeke Family that live in Waimaram, Hawkes Bay.
If they are from that branch then you may be in luck. John Moeke may have all the info you require.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 5:44 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Thanks Kiwiflygirl. Thanks to this site I have made contact with the correct marae and am on my way to familarising myself with my Moeke whakapapa
Much thanks to all who have helped me fill the gaps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 9:37 am
maod4lyfe OWC
(@maod4lyfe-owc)

TextKia Ora My name is Aaron Moeke and i may just be able to help you out. If you want i could give your my koro's number in Whakatane and he may be able to help you out, as the names you mentioned in your post if memory serves me right are also in our whakapapa, so if you want to email me your address and i will send you back the phone number....Ma te WaText

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 12:09 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora maod4lyfe,
Tnakyou for your offer -Is your Koro's name Tai Moeke? If so I have been given his contact details by his nephew
My understanding is that all of us Moekes are related. I was also searching for my GGparents original marae's as in 1808 my branch moved from Torere to Poroporo, Whakatane.
For the benefit of anyone else researching this line it seems before Torere Moekes come originally from Hiruharama and Arihia Kaurapa was of Te Aitangaia-A-Mate Te Whanau-A-Rakairoa Hapu. Both are around the Gisborne, Ruatoria
As to the story behind the name...havent discovered that yet, was told one version but Im not sure if its correct.Once again thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 5:46 pm
Share: