Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

WAIOHENGA, Roeha and TAYLOR, George, Maraea: seeking Ngati Porou connection  

Page 1 / 3 Next
andrei OWC
(@andrei-owc)

My Tupuna, Roeha Waiohenga from Whareponga, married George Taylor (Hori Punehu) in 1848. They had six daughters including Maraea Taylor from whom the Walker family of Waihau bay are decended. I am from this family. The Grace family of Tuparoa decend from another daughter.
Can anyone tell me what the connection is to NgatiPorou? Has anyone heard of the Waiohenga name before? Should I go to Whareponga? Who could I speak to? Is there any Grace whanaunga who can help me?
Maui Walker.

Edited by - pearlau on Mar 09 2005 2:39:12 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 December, 2004 2:14 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora andrei,

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and search for Waiohenga and set the country to New Zealand you will find info there for Roeha Waiohenga.

You could then search for the names of the children as listed in this site. Not all records are linked, so just because there is not much information from clicking on the children's names, searching for their names may bring other information.

If you know the people that the daughters married, check to see if that surname is in Whareponga - maybe through the white pages.

Collate as much information as you can before going to Whareponga about all of the daughters. As the dates of birth for the daughters on familysearch show the mid 1840's and if these dates are fairly accurate, you may find that they moved out of the area when they married (like the Grace family of Tuparoa) so it may be another idea to go into those areas as well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2005 3:22 pm
Geenie OWC
(@geenie-owc)

I am a Campbell, my mother is a Keelan Moeke, we are closely related to the Grace family.I am form Ruatoria and although I cant tell you much I live in Gisborne with a couple of friends who live in Whareponga.I would be too happy to ask them any questions you have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 February, 2005 2:10 pm
maketu OWC
(@maketu-owc)

Kia ora Andrei
I too am a descendant of Roena Waiohenga and George Taylor through their daughter Hariata (younger sister of your ancestress Maraea) who married Aperahama Ruha, my ggf.

Please email me and I will send you contact details.

Noho ora mai

maketu

quote:

My Tupuna, Roeha Waiohenga from Whareponga, married George Taylor (Hori Punehu) in 1848. They had six daughters including Maraea Taylor from whom the Walker family of Waihau bay are decended. I am from this family. The Grace family of Tuparoa decend from another daughter.
Can anyone tell me what the connection is to NgatiPorou? Has anyone heard of the Waiohenga name before? Should I go to Whareponga? Who could I speak to? Is there any Grace whanaunga who can help me?
Maui Walker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2005 2:46 pm
kupenga OWC
(@kupenga-owc)

What a cool forum! I'm a Grace from Tuparoa/Whareponga. Roena is from Ngatiporou and her lineage goes back to Maui Tikitiki via Rakairoa...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2005 11:54 pm
Neff OWC
(@neff-owc)

quote:

Maui Walker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2005 4:26 pm
Neff OWC
(@neff-owc)

quote:

Tena koe Andrei, I too am a Punehu , my tipuna whaea being Titihuia , the second daughter of Hori raua ko Roena.I am a Grace from Tuparoa/Mangarua , Titihuia married my Great Grandfather Kerehi Waiariki. My Grandfather was Wi Kerehi who married Mereana Walker ,first cousin to James(your tipuna)- her father being Isaac Walker, uncle of James. The NgatiPorou connection is thus from Roena and I would be happy to share a more detailed whakapapa with you if you would care to email me at<neff@xtra.co.nz>.Nga mihi ki a koe whanaunga mo tena wa, Kia ora.
Maui Walker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2005 4:44 pm
Rakairoa_Grace1 OWC
(@rakairoa_grace1-owc)

kia ora tatou katoa te whanau whanui ko rakairoa grace toku ingoa. ko nga korero mo roena waiohenga he uri no Ngati Porou i tutaki ai he tane ko george taylor he pakeha. toko ono a raua tamariki, a, he wahine te katoa. Ka whakaingotia te ingoa Punehu kia George Taylor e te iwi. ko toku nei whakapapa ka eke mai te kotiro tuarua o Roena raua ko George, ko titihuia Taylor tona ingoa. ka moe ia kia Kerehi Waiariki a ka puta ko Kerehi Paku. ka moe ia kia Raiha Pohoi a ka puta ko Raniera kawhia. ka moe ia kia Tukakahumai Winfred a ka puta ko toku koroua a Kerehi paku waiariki Grace.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2005 4:08 pm
rtaitua OWC
(@rtaitua-owc)

kia ora andrei
Koo Te Rehutai Onga Kura Taitua,
So nice to see some whanau online.My nanny was Roena Ruha who married Te Maaraurau Huriwai.Her father was Aperahema Ruha and her mother was one of Hori Punehu Taylor and Roena Te Waiohengas tamahine.as i have all my data at kura at the moment i will keep in touch.Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2005 10:17 pm
ngarangi te aronui OWC
(@ngarangi-te-aronui-owc)

kia ora te whanau My Name is Nebula Grace. My great granfather is Dan Grace. I am wondering if anyone can give me more info about my whanau. my Father Tony Grace was brought up in Tuparoa as a kid with his brother Danny Grootveld. I was also wondering if anyone know of the whangapareta whanau from tuparoa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 4:24 pm
Lana1 OWC
(@lana1-owc)

Kia ora e te whanau. Ko Allanah Ashwell ahau, he punehu ano no te whanau o Roena Waiohenga raua ko George Taylor.

I too would like to find out more about our tupuna Roena (Roeha ki etahi). My GGG grandparents were Kerehi Waiariki and Titihuia Taylor. My family descends from their son Hamiora, whom married Erara Hillman (Te Urupa). Their son Te Oke Whare Kerehi married Kahu Heneriata. And their son was my grandfather - Hemi Kerehi, aka Jimmy Grace. I don't know any of my whakapapa past Roena, but would love to know more. Will email Neff and hopefully learn more.

Lana

(Kia ora Nebby, kei te aha koe? I think you and Uncle Tony are from the same line as us - Titihuia and Kerehi Waiariki, and then through their son Hurae, who was your koro Dan's father - I think)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 September, 2005 12:27 am
Lana1 OWC
(@lana1-owc)

Edited by - Lana1 on Sep 30 2005 12:32:22 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 September, 2005 12:27 am
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

In the Whanau reunions posts there is one reunion scheduled for the 6th-11th of Jan 2006 for the uri o Roena Ruha and Rapata Huriwai, are these relatives? Oh, its being held at Te Rahui Marae Tikitiki. The contact is temiringah@nphauora.co.nz

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2005 3:24 am
diamond OWC
(@diamond-owc)

Kia ora te whanau,ko Audrey Grace-Renata ahau.My koroua was Joesph Riley Grace from Tuparoa.We come off the same line as you all.I live in Opotiki with my whanau,and we are always looking for our other whanau.One of gran-dads brothers was Dan Grace he was married to Ruahine Smith then to Winnie Durrant.His other bro;s and sisters were,Hiria,Heni(Jane),Mihi,Charlie,Erina,George and Hera.Kia ora koutou katoa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2005 8:28 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

found the answer thanks

Edited by - markonijoy on Dec 01 2006 7:23:42 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 October, 2005 12:08 am
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register