Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

WAITAI Hoana or Ngakina  

Dyan OWC
(@dyan-owc)

This is my grandmother's name she was born in Te Hapua. Can anyone help me trace my Waitai whanau. Hoana or Ngakina had two children Martha and Moses McDowell before meeting with my grandfather William Macken an Irishman with whom she had nine more children.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 8:10 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Dyan

[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=405&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Finding+Whanau+%28Family%29&Topic_Title=MURUPAENGA+%2F+MAIHI+%28MARSH%29+%2F+HONGI%2C+Rawiri+%3A+Looking+for+NGATI+KURI+Whanau"]Here[/url] is another post that mentions Makinihi Waitai, who is the sister to Ngakina, so they might be able to help with info for your Waitai Whanau.

If you go to www.familysearch.org click search then put waitai in the lastname then set the country to New Zealand, you will find some more of your grandmother's brothers and sisters.

Next, go back to the search and put Tipene in the lastname, leaving the country to New Zealand and click search. You will get a long list, and on the right at you will see IGI/Southwest Pacific - over 25 so click that link.

Scroll down the page to under the 200th record and click next. Scroll down to records 259 - 264 - these are your some of your grandmother's Uncles, Aunts and father.

Note: Not all information in this site is correct, but it can be a good starting place. For example, the person in record 264 is known as Ihapera so that is a typo and the person for record 260 is also known by another different name.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Apr 07 2005 01:45:28 AM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 April, 2005 1:30 am
Mikaere OWC
(@mikaere-owc)

Kia Ora Dyan

If you have time could you email me. I am in the process of doing whakapapa and as poutokomanawa has written above i have some Waitai and Tipene from Te Hapua listed in our whakapapa going back to 1860

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 April, 2005 8:19 pm
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

The Waitai whanau I know of are from Ngati Kahungunu and Rangitane. There are Waitai whanau who live in Wanganui, and they also lived at Ratana pa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 2:55 pm
Waitai_Keelan_Clan OWC
(@waitai_keelan_clan-owc)

Hello, I am a Waitai from Wanganui, and they are Ngati Kahungunuu and Rangitane, from what I have been told the Waitai up north are "named" after one of our koro.....I may have been given wrong information and Im happy to be corrected.....good luck with your search.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 October, 2006 2:35 pm

Working

Please Login or Register