Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

WATENE, Pere  

Page 1 / 2 Next
Mikaere OWC
(@mikaere-owc)

Looking for Watene Whanau from the Thames area.

I am looking for relatives in the Thames area that were related to Pere Watene.

Pere married Lovina Maihi (Marsh) from Ahipara. They had five children. One of those children is still alive today her name is Peggy Watene now a Mrs Hobson

Pere lived and died in the Ahipara area. Any info would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 March, 2005 8:45 pm
ngatimaru1 OWC
(@ngatimaru1-owc)

kia ora you can email me at maori1@xtra.co.nz for more info on watene whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2005 12:39 am
ngatimaru1 OWC
(@ngatimaru1-owc)

birth 1905 and died 30 may 1951 father was hemi watene son of mita and kataraina watene of ngati maru iwi hauraki rohe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 June, 2005 12:13 am
ngatimaru1 OWC
(@ngatimaru1-owc)

birth 1905 and died 30 may 1951 father was hemi watene son of mita and kataraina watene of ngati maru iwi hauraki rohe

see www.familysearch.org great website for info

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 June, 2005 12:14 am
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

Kia Ora,

I too am a descendant of Mita Watene, my name is Nicky Watene and Mita is my great great great grandfather. I come from the line of his son Pirimona (whom I have also named my son after this great man) This is my whakapapa:
Taramauroa ________________Kirieka
Watene Te Koau_____________Ani Te Kokihi
Mita Watene________________Kataraina Matene
Pirimona Watene____________Whakamura Heteraka
Iraia Watene_______________Rose Paraone/Mckyver
Elias Watene_______________Sarah Connor (from the Ngati Paoua peeps)
Tiwai Watene_______________Ann Johnson/Neri
Nicola Watene______________Te Rereka
Alamein Pirimona Wanoa

My dad was also named after Chief Tiwai of the Ngati Maru tribe.
I have whakapapa that dates back to 1300ad please feel free to email me and I can forward this onto you. I can not tell you how proud we are of our heritage, speaking for my bro's and sis's and cousins. We have always been taught where we come from and every now and then run into relatives living in Brisbane, sydney & hamilton. We have a great lineage.

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:07:54 AM

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:10:33 AM

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:28:01 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 8:04 am
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

I am only new to this forum and I did send an e-mail and am unsure as to whether or not where it went to. My great -grandfather was Hema Watene[m] and he was born 1921 and passed away 1913 in Auckland. I am unsure of where he is buried, but he had a brother Hemi Watene[m] too. Could the Hemi that is mentioned in your e-mail, be the same whanau?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 1:43 pm
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

hi
just talking to my grandfather and apparently Pirimona had an older brother Hemi Watene.

hope this helps

Nicky

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 6:46 pm
tambo12g OWC
(@tambo12g-owc)

Hi, my Grandmother was too a Watene, her name was Lena Parani Watene, her parents were Hipiriona James Watene married Te Arani Maata Pirimoana. Hipiriona parents were Reihana Watene Watene married to Irihapeti Patuawa. Apparently I linked to the Watene whanau in the Thames area, does anyone know which of my Tipuna's is link to this area. Any info would be very much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 11:30 pm

My great-grandmother was Pare Watene, but after looking for her parents,[of whom I have about three sets] I have found a very confusing situation, which I hope someone in this forum can help me with. Nicky, would your grandfather have any knowledge of this side of the whanau.
would your grandfather also know if Hemi Watene had any children?
Any information will be of great help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 6:47 am
tambo12g OWC
(@tambo12g-owc)

Hi,
These are the notes written in my whakapapa:-
Netana Patuawa(Nathan Portoava) married Tarati Netana issues were Hipiriona, Wihoko ora, Irhapeti, Merei,Taia,Ratima,Aperahama.
Hipiriona married Petipaihara (1st wife) issues were: Ruru and Paapu.
Hipiriona Married Paretauhiri (2nd wife) issues were Hakiro and Te Ruihi.
Hipiriona Married Ere Ngarui (3rd wife) issues were Te Ruhi, Waingaehe, Irihapeti*, Rihari, Pari.
My Great Great grandmother Irihapeti Elizabeth Netana Patuawa also known as Riripeti Patuawa born 1852 married 1879 to Reihana Watene Watene issues were Tuini, Hipiriona*, Waima married a Snowden, Haki, Rata, Pahi, Raiha (Lisa), Hera, Maraina and Pane.
My Great Grandfather Hipiriona James Born abt 1880 married Te Arani Maata Mata or Martha Pirimoana or Te Arani Waipouri Pirimoana issues were Mereana - Marian (Mary) married Riki Tana, Eruera Hipiriona Edward (Ted)married Rita Anne Thornton (1st wife) and Lulu (2nd wife), Peri (Pere), Te Nori married Sara Snowden, Pua (Paul), Matiu (Mathew) married Erina Paul, Te Whitu Joe, Lena Prani*, Lucy Isabella married William George Walding, Himiona James (Jimmy) married Kohine.
Grandmother Lena married Cyril Thorne.
I hope this helps if you disagree with any of the above please let me know as I am still trying to piece together my whakapapa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 10:06 am

It looks as though your Watene whakapapa is as confusing as mine Tambo, but I am sure we can all help each other. I have heard of the Pirimona name ,but not the Piriona or Pirimoana name, connected to the Watene whanau.
There seems to be alot of Snowden whanau and they may also be able to help.
Would you happen to know the Snowden whanau in Ahipara? I have found that there are about four different Watene whanau,in differnt areas, and they also go under Watson[around Taranaki].

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 10:47 am
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

Hi there, that would be right too (according to my brother who does all the research in our family) apparently we were originally from Taranaki (ngati Maru) where I believe it was Hotunui 2nd came to Thames and took a new wife there. I know we have no links to the Hastings Watene's though.
Ummm I will try to get in touch with 'gramps' he's 82 now and doesn't recall too much, hence my brother taking over everything. But a really awesome book to trace all your whakapapa on our side is 'Matai Whetu' written by Hori Watene,it traces us directly back to Hoturoa 1300AD who was the Captain of Tainui, not to be boastful but I love knowing I am a direct descendant of the captain himself.

I really hope this helps. Its awesome to meet more whanau on here.

Nicky

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 8:34 pm
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

sorry I also forgot to mention that gramps said the Famous Pare was a great great aunty so I will get more info on that too.
If you would like to contact my brother directly also you can get him Garth Watene on tamatepo@hotmail.com
BTW Tamatepo is son of Marutuahu from 1600ad

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 19 2005 8:44:45 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 8:41 pm

Kia ora Nicky ,
I am now starting to be able to connect with the whanau that you are talking about. I have sent an e-mail to your brother, also. Thank you very much for your response.

Arohanui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 9:05 pm

Kia ora Nicky ,
I am now starting to be able to connect with the whanau that you are talking about. I have sent an e-mail to your brother, also. Thank you very much for your response.

Arohanui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 9:06 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register